India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Also, if Frost is the better coach, not getting him out of sentimental reasons would be foolish. They dont need to fire Gopichand just to make Frost head coach, and if Gopichand left because his ego cant take that then that would be his fault.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

M Frost might be a good player but has no track record as a good coach.
    name any his charges has any success!

talk is cheap but motivating players to do as he told is another matter.

3. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    It doesn't need to be Morten Frost. It could be anyone to help push the team further. And nobody's saying Gopichand is doing a bad job. But how can you expect one person to better the performance of the entire Indian contingent. If BAI is happy with one bronze at the Uber Cup and one at the Olympics, they can very well continue with the existing system and coaches. But if we are aiming for more medals at these world events, there is an evident need of a better system and more coaches.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You mean like LCW or the Danish team? Yeah, no success there. Lee Wan Wah and Choong Tan Fook werent good either.

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Most of the top 50 players from india are gopichand's students. I think he is not the one who controls everything. Why not any other player from anr other academy ?. Any students of morten frost shined during his work?. Even if a coach is selected from outside, where they will train? Is there any separate coching academy specifically for BAI? He should come to gopichand's academy to train the players because almost all the players are from his academy . I dont think BAI will take such decision . Gopichand should be the head coach.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's an excellent point. Every player comes from Gopi's academy and therefore there's the potential for a conflict of interest. Jwala pointed this out in the past (one of her more valid complaints). As head coach, Gopi might be subject to bias in player selection and funding.

It's encouraging that if the report is true, that B A I recognize the need for more top coaches. In the long term, that's good for the game.

#466 Cheung, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

I think that would not be the case. Because if at all he is favouring his students alone, then how come we are able to see Anand pawar, Ajay jayaram in the top 50 ranking. They are under some other coaches. Hence it is not about gopi but it is about their own talent which will be tested when it comes for selection .

It is good that BAI realised the need for a good doubles coach but it should not make controversies. Morten frost is an excellent player . I can see that from his analysis. Within 10 mins of a match, morten is able to judge the player's capabilities. But i don't think he will accept for training doubles players alone.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am not saying that's the case but it is quite possible he would be vulnerable to people who claim bias.

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    India singles are going great but doubles really need a push into the right directions.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    only if they can work together!

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It's unfortunate for 17 year old, harsheel dani, who took part in mauritius international , lost to second seed with identical scores in all the three games 21-18. Definitely, he is the bright spot for india in the near future.

12. Akin44

Akin44 Regular Member

Techie
    What hpnd to Rituparna ........No participation for long days.............

13. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Jwala Gutta lashes out at national badminton coach Gopichand

When the Commonwealth Games players returned home on Tuesday a hero's welcome awaited only a few - P Kashyap, Guru Saidutt and PV Sindhu.

They then headed to the city's badminton academy to meet well-wishers. However, CWG silver medalist, Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa, were not part of this welcome. And Jwala Gutta made no bones of it. Lashing out at chief national coach, P Gopichand, Jwala said, "We were not even informed about it while he (Gopichand) is supposed to be our chief national coach. He is supposed to include all, and not just a few of his favourites," said Jwala. But the shuttler says she knows she wouldn't be 'invited' to the (proverbial) party. "This is something I have gotten used to. It was evident that we wouldn't be called there. Things have become so bitter that perhaps, even if we were invited, we wouldn't have gone."

The divide in Hyderabad's badminton camp was evident on Wednesday, when Telangana chief minister Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao met the winner. It was there that Jwala spoke up and said her coach is "SM Arif sir, and not Gopichand". "Everybody was talking, and I had to wait my turn. When I did manage to get a few minutes, I said, 'I am sorry to interrupt you Sir (KCR), but I want to tell you that Arif Sir is my coach'. KCR Sir smiled and nodded, while another gentleman in the room told him that Arif Sir has been Gopi's coach too. Well, all Gopi did was smile," said Jwala about the incident. After Jwala did what she did, an announcement of '50 lakh was also made for Arif'. "Arif Sir was not invited to the meet at the CM's office, but I wanted to tell everybody that Arif Sir is my coach and I am proud of it."

In an exclusive chat, Jwala lashed out at chief national coach Pullela Gopichand.

'JWALA-ASHWINI PLAYED WELL' - THAT'S NEVER HEARD FROM THE CHIEF NATIONAL COACH

Badminton did not grow or become as popular as it is right now because of a few. There are five-six players including those from the doubles who are performing at the highest level. This is one of the reasons why badminton is popular, why IBL came to India.

It's because of our achievements.

What we expect is a little acknowledgement. 'Jwala-Ashwini played well' - that is never heard. After Olympics too, there was not even a word of appreciation from the national coach, who is supposed to be the coach for all the players and not just a few.

THE FUTURE PLAYERS ARE ALREADY SUFFERING

There are players who suffer.

And I know they will never be able to speak out. I am at a place where I can speak because I have medals to show what I am capable of. People think I only complain, but I cannot do anything other than speak the truth. The biggest proof of discrimination between singles and doubles players is the fact that we came back with no medals in the team event. If people are still trying to overlook this and pretend to be blind, I can't really help it, unless I get into a stronger position like getting into the association.

THERE WAS NO PLANNING

The planning for the CWG was bad. Instead of taking a mixed doubles player, you take three singles in men and three singles in women and ask them to play together. That's a problem. What I am trying to say is, if we are talking about the growth of badminton... in 2010, we won the silver medal in team's event, were we not supposed to aim at gold this time?

IF WE DON'T GIVE GOPICHAND CREDIT, WE ARE FINISHED!

Ashwini wasn't allowed to play singles. Nobody should have stopped her, but it did happen. A lot has been happening. This is what I have been talking about and I want people to know. You talk about comparing yourself with the system in China, where the players are supported by the association and the government.

But in India, a player has to bear his/her own cost. Nobody encourages us, we are literally fighting a lone battle and then, after we have achieved something, suddenly somebody comes and wants to take away the credit. And if we don't give credit, we are finished! I was World No. 6 in mixed doubles. If not me, why don't you have a back-up mixed doubles team if you are so confident about your coaching, and your schemes and your system? Even now, there is nobody to play women's doubles apart from Ashwini and me. And you still did not support me; the coach was ready to forego a medal by letting me get banned. He didn't speak a word for me... No, you don't care about the country or players. You care only about yourself. You don't care whether we got a medal or not. Bas tumhara naam aa jaye, tumhe credit mil jaaye, tumhe sab paise waise mil jaaye, tum khush ho, tumhara academy chale, tumhara position bana rahe, you will be happy.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW FROM GOPI WHO WAS HIS COACH

I have never heard Gopi saying Arif Sir was his coach. Why do you shy away from saying that you have trained under Arif Sir?

In fact, all these players who have come back with medals, their base has been developed under Arif Sir. It was only in 2006-07, that they shifted to Gopi.

I HAVE NEVER ASKED FOR ANY MONEY

If I was playing badminton for money, I would have been the biggest fool. Badminton does not pay. I never ask for money or remuneration. And I have learned it all from Arif Sir.

Till date, I have never paid Arif Sir a dime. I have learned badminton from him for free. He doesn't charge anybody. He just gets his pension. It's been 10 years that he has retired, but he still hasn't charged anybody. The Sports Authority of Andhra wanted to pay him, but he told them, 'Don't give me money. Instead, convert that money into shuttles and give my children that'.

THERE'S LOTS OF JEALOUSY

I have no idea why there is a divide in the team. I have always wished all the players well.

When Guru (Gurusai Dutt) was playing, I screamed my lungs out to support him. I was happy for Kashyap. So, I don't really know why there is so much jealousy and bitterness.

PLAYERS ARE THREATENED DIRECTLY

There is no indirect threat.

There are only direct threats to players. Nobody else outside Gopi's academy is allowed to play or perform. I am not sure what he or anybody else wants.

HE HOLDS MONOPOLY

If a person holds many posts and is in control of everything, it is monopoly. You are the chief coach who is running a private academy, you are also the association secretary, national selector and governing council member in IBL. Have you ever heard of a chief coach being an office bearer in an association?

Gopi is the secretary in Telangana Badminton Association. Things are going wrong in every way possible because one person has so much power and control.

I HAVE BEEN MENTALLY HARASSED FOR YEARS

Whatever I went through, anybody in my place would have not only given up badminton, but also given up on life. I have been harassed mentally. V Diju (my mixed doubles partner) was not allowed to play with me (2006). He was threatened. He will never say it, but I am. He was stopped from playing because I was not attending national camps held at the academy, which Gopi wanted. I, on the other hand, wanted to play tournaments and get ranking to qualify for the Olympics. And I couldn't play in that Olympics.

EVERYONE IS FREE TO HAVE AN OPINION AND IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME: P GOPICHAND

Reacting to the allegations, chief national badminton coach Pullela Gopichand, says, "If anyone is saying anything, let them, because it is their opinion. Everyone is free to have an opinion and it does not bother me at all. And even if I had something to say , it won't change their opinions. So, let anyone say anything. And it does not bother me."

#473 Mr. Epic, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  14. SakethRVK

SakethRVK New Member

Student
  15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Lakshya sen

Born : 16 aug 2001 (just 13 years)

Achievements : won 12 international tournaments. Most notable achievements are winning wimbledon under-19 open tournament where all england's top under -19 players took part.

Then winning swiss junior open last week where many top players took part including current top 10 junior player david peng etc. He won the title whereas another indian player(14 years) rahul bharadwaj bangalore manjunath became the runner up who has beaten the top 10 player david peng .

New faces of indian badminton. We would be able to see more of these young players more often in the near future,

#475 scorpion1, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    What happened to sameer verma?. No news about him.

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Do you think that players from prakash padukone academy or any other academy are ignored?. I dont think so. Then there would have been more cries all over india. I think some understanding in selection process is there btw academies. If somebody clears this doubt, it would be more visual to us. Hope somebody who knew about this process help us in this regard.

18. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I really don't see the problem with more badminton academies. Even Prakash Padukone academy has 2 or 3 branches I think. But I do think that the selection process should be transparent. The problem is that almost every 'respectable' coach in India seems to have a private academy.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Happy DIWALI to all our indian friends here. I wish indian players as well. Hope they celebrate the festival of lights @ france. :)

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Happy Diwali (Deepavali) to all Indian members.