In the market for the next new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by tblrg, Oct 21, 2022.

1. tblrg

tblrg New Member

I mainly play doubles. I find 88D pro quite good especially in the backcourt. But the racket is bit slower in the front court leading to poor drops and mistiming. Depending on the opponent and my playing decision I want to use an alternate racket to focus more on the front and mid-court. Is 88S pro a good compliment to 88D in the arsonal? 100 ZZ an allround racket for mixed doubles to play both in the front and backcourt? What do you suggest. Open to other ideas.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are you using 3U or 4U for 88D pro?

I have used the 3U and 4U, both are fine around the front court. Absolutely no problems with speed of racquet at the forecourt.

If you are using 4U, then consider practice more or revisit your footwork and technique.

#2 Cheung, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Budi likes this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

There is trade off for everything. You cant get the best for all thing. You let go power for speed or the opposite. Before switching to anything you must be ready & accept the trade off. Never expect it will maintain the same power yet gain better speed.

Before decide to 88S P or anything, know that you will suffer on back court. Depend on the lv of play you are on, but on high lv games, games are really dynamics. You cant own the back court all the times. Especially if you are for example big hitter, then the opponent wont be easily give you lift & will try their best to drag you to the front.

So for collection racket & hav fun switching between it, its good pair 88D/S P as they are mean to be paired together. But for more serious improvement, like what @Cheung said, if its 4U then train & improve yourself.

Cheung likes this.
  4. tblrg

tblrg New Member

Hello Cheung and Budi, In my early 20s I was a semi-professional player at a national level. Stopped playing due to injury. I am in my 50s now and decided to return back to the sport I love the most. I was looking for a solution to play doubles where I may need to predominately stay front court. May be with quicker footwork and more agility quality will improve in the front court. Will take both your advice.

Cheung likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks for the background knowledge. You come from the era of YY carbonex 8, 9, 20, 21 :)

I would say the racquet technology is very different now. The majority of racquets 30years ago if not all were five to ten grams heavier than todays present generation. It doesn’t sound a lot but I found it does make a difference.

I found the finger and forearm technique needed readjusting to get a consistent contact. Strokes need to have a shorter swing with less forearm.

88D pro 3U for me is easier around the forecourt and net play because I like a little bit of weight to the shuttle (cab20 legacy) but my defence is better with 4U which is good for counterattacking and turning the play around.

6. tblrg

tblrg New Member

You are absolutely correct. I probably had 4-6 Carbonex rackets while playing in the circuit. 88D is a 4U. With more practice I think I will get used to the racket response and adjust my style of play.

Cheung likes this.