in need of drills/ideas

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by doris160260, Dec 12, 2005.

1. doris160260

doris160260 Regular Member

ok here is my dilemna.

I live in a small city in Ontario, Canada. Badminton is not a huge deal here. Schools only have gym teachers coaching and none of them have any expertiece in badminton. I am a senior at our school and have played badminton throughout my highschool career. For the past two years I have coached the highschool junior team becuase of a lack of knowledge of the game from our other coaches. Practices consist of simply of scrimmage games. There are NO drills. This year I have decided to implement drills to improve the level of play. I personally made it to my provinical tournament, OFSAA last year in mixed doubles. My partner has graduated and I need to train a new partner. My old partner had never played before and I had to teach her from scratch. I personally am the citys best highschool player by far however have struggled playing singles at my regional tournament and thus turned to mixed. I am slightly overweight and not in the best of shape so unless that changes I may be stuck playing mixed. I use a Nanospeed8000 3U and love the racket. I have what I consider a strong smash and good backcourt drops. I am more a power player than finesse.

My question is what kind of drills can I do to improve my mixed play as well as singles. I am well aware of using the mixed holes for doubles but still dotn know any drills to incorporate this shot as well as the other neccesary shots. Any advice would be much apprecaited.

2. mrevenhouse

mrevenhouse New Member

I am not sure of your level of expertise so forgive me if these are too elementary. I coach near Chicago and can suggest a few things. First, start running. A lot. Not only should you run for endurance, you should be running sprints. Second, do lunges to strengthen your legs. These consist of taking long steps where your back leg knee touches the ground before taken the alternate step. After this you should work on serves. Not only a fore hand, but a nice backhand. Practice by placing a hat (or bucket) where you want your serves to go. Also, take a group of three. Place one person in the read position and 2 people kneeling on either side of the court by the net. The kneeling people should have about 5-10 birdies a piece. Have them alternately throw birdies into the air of the middle person to hit. This running back and forth with help develop speed. I will post more drills as time allows, if you need a drill to help with a specific skill set, let me know.

3. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

Well at our school practice we did drill which consists of almost everything needed in badminton...
    perons number 1) serves
    person number 2) clears underhand
    1)clears OVERHAND
    2) backcourt drop
    1)drop shot
    2)drop shot
    1)underhand clear
    and so on

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    1st yes I relize this is a rather old thred. Well atleast you can do/want to do dills...the people at my highschool dont really want to do drills and I dont think mosu of them knwo how to/what to do no offence to them. Some stuff I would practice when I was there would be drops from back court both on my forehand and backhand sides so I would drop the other person would play a net shot I would play a net shot and they would clear it back up again to either my badkhand of forehand you have to be fast and this should also start to develope your speed.

There are the like "standard" drills I guess you could call them. Clear, clear, smash, net, net then clear, clear, smash...you get the idea it continues on and on I can see it developing technique but in a game you probally wont be getting a a nice set up like that to smash or drop etc.

Others would be just net play we would stand on the service line, full doubles court and just do net shots all around the court, if they cleared it by accident I treat it as like in a game do what you I could to get to it and would use backhand or forehand depending where it is and then either drop it or kill it.

Any technique you want to work on im sure you can come up with a drill for it, or can ask others around here to help you. Best of luck in coaching your badminton team, and hope you did well with your partner and in your school badminton.

5. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Lob drills

The same thing here. I am training my double partner from scratch. i want to improve his lob. do you have any good drills for that? thanks

6. noobie_kid1

noobie_kid1 Regular Member

well my skool does
    lines
    lunges
    invisible chair
    shuffles
    cross-over shuffles
    zigzag shuffle
    6 laps(2400m) runs

hope this helps

7. Liquidsmash

Liquidsmash New Member

Actually, that's exactly what people in my school do. EXACTLY. It's sorta freaky.

The best way to improve your game is to play often. PLAY OFTEN. PLAY. Yeah. Other than that, we do 8-15 laps (3200-6000m) runs, lots of lines, lunges, shuffles, zigzag shuffles, and yeah. They basically kill us.

8. Rasuke96

Rasuke96 Regular Member

None
    I suppose half-court single could help you, not really sure whether that could help for mixed doubles but for singles, it will definitely help

9. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Woah way to dig up a 4 year old thread ;)