"I'm not even trying"

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Elixau, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

I believe everybody has experienced times when some people say "I'm not even trying" does it annoy you? Or when they don't even try during a badminton game.

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    when my opponents dont try i do one of 2 things.
    1: i CRUSH them
    2: i dont try either

the only time it annoys me is when the person not trying is my partner in doubles/mixed and its a game i want to win.

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    yup deffinetly had that happen before, play some people beat them and they say they wernt trying then what were they doing but yeah i wont let it get to me if thats their way of making an sxcuse for losing then so be it. I can however see if being legit in cases of like playrs with exceptional skill playing like lower class players and them not trying as hard as they normally would in a gester to be nicer but yes thats open to interpertation if they should play down etc. i admint i have done that before to be nice becaiuse it woudl be to mean to go all out on them.

4. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    God this annoys me so much, there is this one guy my friends play with, when he plays with me (doubles) or even with other people he looks so carefree, so relaxed like he doesn't care at all, and he is always messing about as well, I feel like somehow I am at fault, like I'm not worthy of playing seriously with! :mad:

5. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I'd say..me too..i felt sleepy while playing with u just now.Sorry..prob because i slept too late last nite.LOL..funny thing,there's someone in my group that do this everytime we play..

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

"I wasn't trying"
    "who says I was?"

"I wasn't trying"
    "Do you think it would matter?"

"I wasn't trying"
    "how is that, even vaguely, my problem?"

"If I wanted to, I could play better"
    "then why don't you?"

I really see no reason why I shouldn't make jokes to them..But then, cracking bad jokes is what gets me through the day ;)

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i find that the really good players never say they weren't trying, well, not seriously at least. it's always the wannabes that use this excuse.

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

"I wasn't trying"
    "Haha, I've seen you try"

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am not even trying...

Great, I don't even feel sorry for you. :p

If social game, laugh and let it go. If serious games, congrat yourself, and find a "more serious" player next time. ;)

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I tried the first few points then i gave up trying. :) hehehe

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yeah I agree. I was playing social intraschool badminton yesterday, and the opponents were.. bigginners. I smashed the first couple of shots, but I realised that they cant return it at all.. so I started clearing, dropping and lifting. I basicly had complete control over them, but they had some really good excercise :D. I wasn't really trying to beat him, I was just trying to make the rallies longer :rolleyes:.

12. smash_master

player/coach/student
    i agree, provincial/national players dont really use this excuse from what ive come across wven when they lose they still dont say that. but yeah it seems liek its just the wannabes that use the excuse. when i was refering to me playing down it was more so that there was a kid that played up in a tournament he was good for his age but kinda not good enough not to be rude and well it was pretty easy to win and i didnt want to be completly mean so i didnt try all out but still had control over it final score was 21-7 and 21-5 so thats open to interpertation.

13. smash_master

player/coach/student
    yeah i know the feeling about that its like you can end the rally with 1 shot but then that leads to 2 differnet types on "not trying" like the person you played lost and said they wernt trying or you got really close in the score to them but they said they wernt trying (this is one case). or your playing somebody alot lower than you like i mean substantially lower and you dont try as hard just to be nicer (the other case). lol they used that excuse on you that they were trying to make the rallies longer? oh well atleast in the end you were nice about it and gave them a chance to do something during the match.

14. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    it depends on the type of match IMO, social = use them as practice, tournament = their loss, rightful winner ;)

15. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    A win's a win~! sometimes I feel they're not trying, but it's their mental loss!

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Actually, I could just score a point from lifting to their backhand sometimes.. boring isnt it ? So I wanted to make the game more enjoyable ( for me ) by making it longer. I just kept doing weak clears ( maybe up to half-court to give him the opportunity to attack) and some drops and slices, and the occasional jump smash just for fun. He was trying his best, because I could see after the first set that he was already sweating so much like as if he had taken a shower. His legs were wobbling too.. But it seemed as if he really enjoyed the game really much, which is a good sign.

But if I were in his position of losing, and if the opponent said ' i wasnt even trying', I'd be really frustrated at him.

17. smash_master

player/coach/student
    touche same here but yeah same here if i was in you position i wouldnt tell him it after the game either, but ok i see what you ment now. As long as it was enjoyable for the both of you then thats good, you are a really good sport about that though i know some people who woudl just end it fast and painful but thats nice of you too.

18. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

I just shake my head, smile and not say a thing. It gets to them every time. ;)

19. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    haha thats exactly what i do to! just smile and walk away:cool: what is the point of playing badminton unless you don't play at 150% each game, I try for each and every single point I just don't get how people can not "try" . also if their lying and actually they suck well, smile and walk away:D

20. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    a simple reply of "oh..." and keep walking away will do the job.:p

Or if you get really annoy because of it, a simple " who are you trying to convince here, me or you?":rolleyes: