Illegal Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Wicnest, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Wicnest

Wicnest New Member

This is only a club night not matches and not high level. There is a guy who will serve very quickly, the shuttle comes up, the swing starts as its rising and is instantly hit, it to catch people by surprise, and it works, sometimes it's almost as he walks up, although I guess both feet are on tne ground as he serves
    However we are standing there ready.
    I tried to stop this, by waiting until he was ready, then walking with my head down, ostensibly to find my footing by the line. When in position., my head goes up and it breaks his timimg. Next time I did it though as my head came up he instantly served.
    What to do and say? Or is it legal and we just accept it?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Very annoying serve. Legal, but only if you are ready to receive.

Try not putting your head down but your hand up. Get ready and put your head up and only then you can lower your hand to show that you are ready.

3. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Hands up will mean u are not ready. This is widely accepted. However judging from ur description, this player don't practice fair play.

However the head down, is not widely known and he has all rights to serve.

But do note the moment ur hands goes down he will serve.

But not to worry get ready faster, vary ur service and get back at him with stuff he doesn't like and he will learn to practice more fair play.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Wicnest likes this.
  4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Also, if your hand is still up and he still serves just insist on playing a let.

ucantseeme, Woesi and Wicnest like this.
  5. Wicnest

Wicnest New Member

Thanks, this is a very mixed ability club night, so its really incongruous. I agree that putting my hand up is much better, although we aren't at that sort of level really, certainly no one else does it. Head down was a bit more subtle, ie I'm obviously not ready if I'm not looking at the server. Good to know it is legal though, I couldn't find anything in the rules that said it wasn't, accept maybe opponent not being ready as he serves before they think he's going to, but I agree that's tenuous. On the plus side his serve is so hurried it's not very accurate more drive-flick and easily buried when you know taken by surprise

6. centralbadminton

centralbadminton New Member

If you are not ready to receive the serve, and make no attempt to return the serve, then it is a Let. (BWF Laws 9.4, 14.2, 14.2.1)

The only thing in the rules to say you were or were not ready is whether you attempt to return the serve.

So, if you stand in position to receive the serve, whether or not your head is just raised from being down, whether or not your hand is just lowered, and the fast serve takes place, if you make no attempt to return the serve because you were not ready, then it is deemed a LET.

Personally, my response to receiving such a quick serve would be to stay bolt still, and say 'let - I wasn't ready'. A few cycles of Lets and they should get the hint.

At a mixed ability club level I would not bother with raising a hand to ask the server to wait. The server simply cannot argue against your stated readiness if you make no attempt to return the serve (i.e. stay bolt still). However, any movement reaction from you in response to the fast serve (twitching or faltering) could be interpreted as an attempt to return the serve and the serve would be legitimate.

If your opponent is petty enough to require a physical display of readiness, I have heard the phrase "I am only ready when I look you in the eye" on court before! You can take your time then with foot placement, grip etc, and even looking at the opponent's positioning, then un-nerve them with the death stare!

Just be aware that if you start spouting rules at your opponent, and start to take too long in your receiving preparations, they may too spout off - a player shall not: deliberately cause delay in, or suspension of, play (16.6)!

Relevant BWF Laws of Badminton:

14.2 It shall be a "let”, if:
    14.2.1 the server serves before the receiver is ready (Law 9.4);
    9.4 The server shall not serve before the receiver is ready. However, the receiver shall be considered to have been ready if a return of the service is attempted.

Simeon, visor, Cheung and 1 other person like this.
  7. Wicnest

Wicnest New Member

Excellent, thank you, this is much more appropriate for the level of play at this club