"Ideal" height to be a pro-badminton player?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by BaddyBunny, Aug 9, 2015.

1. BaddyBunny

BaddyBunny Regular Member

Obviously, I understand that anyone can be good, as long as they train, and there are exceptions.
    And that there are disadvantages and advantages to being short or tall in badminton.

But I can't help notice all the top players are all around 5'6-6ft and ideally 5'7-5'10. For both mens and womens, again there exceptions. But I don't see much people that are 5'0-5'4?

So, I am wondering if you think there is an ideal height to be a top professional player? In basketball if you are short and train the same amount of time and as hard as a tall player. The shorter probably will have a much lesser chance to win. Same applies to gymnastics, physics ideally say you should be 5'3 and shorter to be a professional gymnasts. You can still do gymnastics and basketball, no matter your height, but you have a lesser chance of being a top player if you are short in basketball and tall in gymnastics.

I feel especially in singles, being 5'7-6 feet will give you a larger reach around and you can take less steps than someone short. This can be used in their advantage. Also, you most likely will have a better smash. If you are shorter, you have to be much quicker and less angle for a smash. But you do have an easier chance getting getting net drops.
    I feel this is the same in doubles too. If you are a good height = better smash, better movement, better reach, and somewhat of a good drop. But if you are short = stepping more, etc. Again, I understand there are disadvantages, exceptions, advantages to each height. But I feel in order to be a top professional player you cannot be too short (I do know not everyone wants to be a top player). But I just thought this would be an interesting discussion!
    What do you guys think?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Lee Chong Wei is 5'7
    Lin Dan is 5'10
    Chen Long is 6'2

I've heard that 5'10-6' is the ideal because of court coverage, and that above that doesn't increase coverage, but does make balance/recovery harder, and makes the body a more likely target.

That said, in lower levels, height is power because of smashes and reach.

3. BaddyBunny

BaddyBunny Regular Member

I have heard that too! I haven't seen a lot of top players that 6 feet +. But some do exist.
    And I do agree, height is power. I'm shorter and I remember I would get frustrated since I have a harder time clearing against taller folks (they don't have to move as far back). Also, I feel like I have to practice my clears more than taller people (but drops, drives, etc are easier for me). Out of these shots though, I think clears and overshots are better to perfect than lower shots (but all matter!). I haven't seen many top players that are 5'4 or under?