Ice Packs/Baths or Cold Shower After Training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by stanleyfm, Mar 4, 2018.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Hi guys,

In the past last few months (or about 1 year +) the usage of ice and cryo-therapy has been used more often by pro-athletes, both during the match or after training.

As far as I know, coldness can help to reduce muscle inflammation, reducing the pile up of lactic acid a little bit.

But besides that, I don't have much knowledge on its impact to the muscle strength and power?
    Someone has good experience and knowledge on the effect of ice or even cold shower to our muscles after/during training?

2. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I have found that having a 15 min ice bath does the same thing for me as wearing compression gear for most of a day. I have slowly stopped as it is really expensive to do these unless you have a huge freezer and I don't mind wearing compression shorts and socks :).
    I would recommend wearing some swimming shoes in neoprene to prevent your feet from cramping and also to make sure you don't start getting hypothermia!

stanleyfm likes this.
  3. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I've also read a lot about it but I just don't have the facilities to try. I don't even have a tub so I can't do it myself. In summer I do take only cold water showers. In winter I try to end my shwer with a one minute cold water blast but sometimes I'm just too afraid, haha. Anyway, I have only heard really good things about cold therapy and nothing negative but I don't think it helps muscles grow. Like you said, it helps your body repair itself (which can lead to easier muscle growth) but cold therapy doesn't actually make your muscles grow faster as far as I know.

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I am aware of two main strategies for recovery used by professionals: ice baths and saunas/hydrotherapy.

What are athletes trying to do in recovery? 1. remove lactic acid from muscles. 2. increase circulation of the blood so that nutrients are delivered to the muscles to allow them to repair and recover, and replenish energy stores.

Ice baths can indeed help reduce inflammation for muscles because it reduces blood flow temporarily... so that could be good if there was an injury or slight discomfort. However, the main thing it does is force all the blood (and the lactic acid) out of the muscles. This is obviously a good thing (it achieves number 1 above) but recent research shows that, after the ice bath, the blood (and most of the lactic acid) simply floods back into the muscles. There was some benefit, but given we didn't promote increased blood flow, the job is only half done.

Saunas or hydrotherapy can be used to relax the muscles (which is a good thing) and greatly increase blood flow (which promotes 2 above). However, if there is muscle inflammation you don't necessarily want to increase blood flow...

So there we have it - positives and negatives to both. The research shows that there isn't a huge benefit to either after the event - the body quickly goes back to normal. Do the one that makes you feel good! I personally think massage is the best form of recovery - you can promote blood flow, relax the muscles, and encourage the blood (and lactic acid) to move out of muscles. However, even this is only temporary. I wouldn't be surprised if the key to recovery is actually nutrition!

stanleyfm likes this.
  5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

@rbynck @Borkya @MSeeley

thank you all
    I am basically trying to look at the impact of this 'cold therapy' when I am doing multiple hard exercises and multiple long tiring matches, during the inbetween period. Not necessarily ice bath, but can also be leg immersion in cold water or simply putting ice pack on trapezius.

Do you think the reduce of lactic acid is beneficial compared to the reduced blood capillary, thus reduced recovery of nutrients, and possibly muscle strength in the next match or exercise?

I am thinking in a like 1 hour break, then about 5 minutes cold therapy in the 15th minute of the break.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    In a 1 hour break: no. Cold therapy is not a good answer. Your goal should be:
    1: get some fast energy release food (bananas etc) and finish eating at least 30 mins before the next match.
    2: Try to relax the muscles: the best way is to keep them warm (put your tracksuit on, get a massage etc)
    3: Try to keep the blood circulating: thats why its good to keep moving around a bit or get a massage or use a foam roller etc

Cold therapy might be useful at the end of the day when you don't have to play any more. In the shorter time frames, its not a good answer.

stanleyfm likes this.
  7. Badmasterton

Badmasterton New Member

I tried to take a cold shower or ice bath after training, but I can't stand this cold, so I just started to massage myself and do yoga. The joints stopped hurting so much, and the muscles quickly relax. I even ordered myself an individual massager for this from here https://www.nhc.com/brand/theracane. I decided not to spend money on anything else, because therapists are now quite expensive, and the massager will serve me for a very long time. I also go jogging every morning. I also make special soothing masks for the feet. Maybe my experience will help you. Good luck.

#7 Badmasterton, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  8. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I started cryotherapy recently, to treat a condition I have which impairs recovery. Three minutes in a chamber at currently - 120 degrees celsius! I know of an Olympic silver medalist in badminton who does cryotherapy. LeBron James and Cristiano Ronaldo do it.

9. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I've found hydrotherapy makes me more tired if I stay in too long, and I know others with my condition say the same. Unless this is just the way it affects people with my condition.

10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    There are other ways to reduce inflammation without ice.
    - Dark cherry juice. It should be tart, with no added sugar.
    - Along those lines cutting out sugars/vegetable oils will do WONDERs for your holistic health and inflammation.
    - OMEGA 3s
    - Massage gun like a theragun
    - The compression boots (the fancy inflatable massage leg thingies) like the Normatech boots are honestly not that expensive for $1000 for the legs (they offer 12 month finance with Affirm).