IBF still thinks Lee HI the top player while Chen Hong not

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by 2cents, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

From my observation some of BC members' views are based on facts & therefore impartial. They deserve a good reading. However, there will always be die-hard fans who choose to follow their hearts rather than their heads which lead them to making irrational statements.

2. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I've also found that a lot of the "facts" people post here are simply opinions hidden beneath big words...

3. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    The difference is that some opinions are based on facts, rational, objective and logical while some other opinions are based on emotion, irrational, subjective and illogical.

4. smash

smash Regular Member

accountant
    It's True...
    Some people give opinion base on their deep analize, good knowledge both historical and current which provide very interesting statement to read and thought.
    But some people give a simple statement , not accurate, emotional, subjective and that's very unconvertible to read, silly, destructive the whole analyze:(

5. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

That's what I meant. Facts & results don't lie. But some people are just so blinded & hard-headed that they refuse to accept them. True - BC is a forum for fans to express views but they must be done with wisdom & facts. History has so often proven that words spoken & actions taken impulsively without careful thought cum wisdom lead to destruction. And if people don't show remorse for their wrongful actions, what's there to hope further.

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Some certainly are. Your posts for example are obviously well thought out, and don't just revolve around the use of "big" words (it's just something I've noticed on this forum and others - often I'll read a post which is in essence a load of rubbish and yet because of their "impressive" vocabulary they will get a lot more respect than they really deserve).

7. indra

indra Regular Member

Opinions are always subjective. People view things differently. Of course, we use our emotion when making opinions.

8. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

<clap,clap,clap> well done mate. Bulleyes :D

9. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Let me break it down for you,mate. Raphael is an anti-china and a Pro- Indonesia. That is an easy one eh:D

10. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    If you base your opinion on reason, facts and the evidence you will be objective. You are subjective if you base your opinions on feelings and emotions. You use emotions when you offer your opinions others are impartial and don't rely on personal feelings or emotions. I hate to see you working in a Court environment where people have to be objective and emotionless. As it is said, the facts speak for themselves. That is why people agree on many things based on objectivity and the facts. There are more that we agree on than what we disagree on. That is the proof that objectivity exists. If everybody is subjective on everything the result would be chaos and anarchy.

#50 sabathiel, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  11. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

A few googled definitions for "opinion":

[SIZE=-1]- A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty; "my opinion differs from yours"; "what are your thoughts on Haiti?".

- [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]A view, judgment, or appraisal formed in one person's mind about a particular matter.

- [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Many political policies and personal beliefs are merely Opinion - for want of a better term. Often people can't pinpoint why they hold a certain belief or opinion - it is merely there in their brain so they vehemently support it.

- [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]A belief or judgement that is strongly held, but without actual proof of its truth.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]- Opinion, unjustified in a logical sense, not yet tied down by way of reason (logos). In this regard, opinion may be true, but not presented in terms which make its claims stand as objective fact. For this reason, opinion is thought to be merely subjective, or private in its efficacy.

Looks like it's strongly based on emotion and personal belief more than anything else to me. Facts may influence it, but in the end it's simply how you as a person feel about something. If you don't let your emotions affect your opinions then I'm going to have to say you'd be a robot :p...
    [/SIZE]

12. indra

indra Regular Member

Agree with the definition

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh boy...

...are we still going in the same original topic, here?? or totally changed course??...:confused: :p

14. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    As a lawyer I must say that in a Courtroom or on an intellectual/academic setting the only opinion that matters is the one based on agreed facts and admissible evidence. Emotions and feelings leads to partiality and clouds one's true conclusion of the facts and evidence because the opinion is seen as biased based on one's prejudices. Another danger of being emotional is that the debate on whose opinion is right will often get out of hand and lead to violence. Imagine a courtroom where everyone gets emotional rather than rational.

Robots have no opinions they have programmes!

Maybe you should google the word "objectivity" and "subjectivity" instead. By the way google is hardly a reliable intellectual source.

According to dictionary.com, one of the definitions of "objective" is:

not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

#54 sabathiel, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  15. indra

indra Regular Member

EMotions and feelings are God-given. I can't imagine if we are "not allowed" to use our personal feelings, interpretations in expressing opinions....

16. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    There are times and places to express one's God given emotions. If one wants to be perceived as objective one need to set aside one's emotions and concentrate on the hard cold facts and one's reason which is also God given. Emotions and reason do not mix.

17. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Right right >_>, we're obviously not going to agree on this... as our... opinions differ :p. Regardless of the "true" definition of opinion, I'm sure I made it obvious what I meant when I used the word in an earlier post (whatever that was). I think we've gone waaay off topic :D!