IBF Should Sack Jane Hancock

Discussion in 'All England 2004' started by Justice, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justice

Justice Regular Member

I don't understand somebody in her capability and knowledge of the Badminton law could ever be appointed the umpire of a final match. A judge must be fair and square under any influence. She is not fit to be there.

Hope everybody writes to IBF to get her sacked!

Don't say it would changed anything as the players should be allowed to play to their full potential. To get her sacked is probably good for Badminton in the long run.

She is guilty as charged!!

2. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

I support!!:mad: :mad:

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do umpires get paid? I was under teh impression they are voluntary

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, umpires get paid, especially star tournaments. Usually only line judges are volunteers. IMO

5. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

they shouldn't field Jane Hancock..

ACCORDING TO IBF...

JANE HANCOCK IS ACCREDITED UMPIRE... NOT A CERTIFIED Umpire

6. CarlK

CarlK New Member

COACH
    Anyone from IBF could shed some lights on the matter?

7. woop.

woop. Regular Member

It's probably all they've been talking about BUT....

...I still think it is silly to consider the incident as the deciding factor in the match. The Malayasians could have let it go and carried on playing to their ability. They didn't.

8. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

sacking her might be a good thing in the long run

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree with you. Even though i support the Msian.. i think they should have played better in the 3rd set.. but lost 3rd set 15-3? That is horrible.

10. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I will be writing to IBF to take action against Jane Hancock. She has caused Malaysia the mens doubles title.

I will try to get the support from Punch Gunalan and Eddy Choong.

Such heavy handedness is rare, and she was way way out of line. I was watching Choong/Lee since the quarters, and they were the best pair in the tournament. Their attack, defence, fluidity and accuracy was simply amazing. They were truely playing as one heart, one mind. The All England title should have been theirs.

She should not be allowed to judge in big tournaments ever again, not even small ones. This is a disgrace to the All England, and English badminton as a whole.

Choong/Lee may never recover from this episode. Such disappointments is difficult to live with. Even the danes admitted that the call was questionable.

I am very very pissed off and disappointed.

11. angkong

angkong Regular Member

I agree that L/C should be more resilient mentally. I am sure L/C and other Malaysian players will be smarter next time not to fall into that kind of trap and be some superhuman . However, 2 wrongs do not make a right, we must get rid of the negative compounding factors like bad umpiring and bad line calls, from anywhere on the earth. They r unnecessary and very undermining!

Congratulations to L/C for making to the finals. Don’t forget you have beaten world champions and hot favourites to reach there.

We will be true champions one day if we truly believe we can.

GO, MALAYSIA!!

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1st, I like the pair of Chong/Lee, and I picked them over the other pair when I noticed they were the finalists. Of course, I feel bad when I see them losing.

However, I don't think over-react in this matter could do any good:

1. Sure, the call effected the game. However, no human being is perfect. There might be wrong calls here and there (of course, might not be this obvious), but a wrong call is a wrong call and might as well effect the result. There might be other "gray area" calls, also changed the result along the way, but just most of us did not notice.

2. A true champion should fully prepared, both physically and mentally. Once the game was on the line, try to play own game, not get bothered by other issues. I saw some players got bothered by the fans, by the un-favorable calls, by opponent's mental attacks, etc and went on to be defeated. I know it's hard to do, but I think concentration is rather important. As long as the game is not done, try ur best to finish it off.

3. Yeah, a wrong call bothers. However, try to reduce its effect to a min. After losing, we should try to think how to improve the stamina, how to carry the streak, how to improve the skill, how to minimize the unforced errors, and how to OVERCOME the unfavorable calls. Just complain about calls, and dream about "one day, all calls will be perfect" is useless.

4. Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of a unfavorable call. However, think it over. Did u also receive some favorable calls in ur entire career? Of coruse, yeah. So, did you think those "good" ones might give "extra" help in ur past achievement? If so, u might not going to feel too bad.
    4.1 i.e. Shaq always complain he received less call than others. I agree, many times I see other big guys throw body on Shaq under the basket, the refree did not call. However, many other times, Shaq bully through others, the refree did not call, either.

So, live with it and try to reduce its negative effect. Sometimes, the call is on ur side, some times is not. Want to be a true champion? Work on your own issues. The rest is just minor resistance or bonus.

#12 LazyBuddy, Mar 16, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  13. Justice

Justice Regular Member

I agree we have good days and sometimes overcast, but a bad apple like that should be done and away with before she stinks and spoils the whole barrel.

wl2172, you are the man!!

People, action speaks louder than words!! We need more bravehearts like wl2172 to make it works. Please write to IBF to support the course. You can complaint to the president of IBF, Mr Korn Dabbaransi via this URL: http://www.korn.in.th/contact/english.php

or email to all those big guys with this: http://www.intbadfed.org/Portal/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=45

IBF official site is http://www.intbadfed.org/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx

You should also post your reply here to show your support to sack her (Come on, it takes only seconds to register). We must make our voice heard.

Do you want her to go scotfree, just like that?

14. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Try looking at the bigger picture and work on the larger issue ... if you had to point to one single fact why Tan-Fook/Wan-Wah arent the AE champions, would it be

a. Jane Hancock or
    b. mental focus?

Henin-Ardan (spelling?) won over Serena Williams in a disputed call in a tennis match once ... but I don't think anybody doubted Serena's toughness in coming back and DEMOLISHING Henin-Ardan in the next tournament.

Can you say the same of Tan-Fook/Wan-Wah?

I'd be more on board if there were postings of links to encourage Tan-Fook/Wan-Wah to show support, rather than condemning straw men (I guess ladies, too). If anything, this incident just highlights another aspect of their game to improve on, for the Msian pair.

Everybody can appreciate hard work, determination, mental focus, tenacity. The badminton players from Denmark had these attributes that day.

Unless, of course, you're championing national pride ...

-dave

15. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Much Ado About Nothing?

Well maybe not nothing... It seems Jane made a bad call, and I can understand why some people are upset. If a simular decision had gone against the Danes I too would be unhappy :(

That being said, I think this sport would be woefully short of umpires and line judges if we sacked them each time a mistake was made...

"To err is human, to forgive, divine."
    - Alexander Pope

16. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Henin-Hardenne.

Sack Jane Hancock? Why? What did she do to you? I know of the MD controversies at the recently concluded AE2004 and I put the blame on a less degree on her disputed call than I did on Choong/Lee's mental resilience. I second LB in saying that their fall comes from the lack of mental strength - something true champions aren't affected by.

Why didn't they just play the full spirited game as they did during the first two games and win the third? It is just an excuse to blame the umpire for ONE point lost which did not determine the outcome of the game.

They should instead learn from Roslin when he played Kenneth Jonassen - see how he saved eight match points against Jonasses to claw back and win the game in dramatic fashion. That is true mental strength although Roslin did not make it to the finals.

What if it happened to Lundgaard / Eriksen instead? I'm sure a lot of us here would suddenly have nothing to say.

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Did Lee or Choong make any post match complaints

about the umpire. Or is it rubbish written by some journalistswho are not players.?

I dont think Lee or Choong complained.

Did they lose 3rd set because they were de-moralised or because

they ran out of tactics or were unfit?

Elections on Saturday.We have a habit of harping on irrelevant things like

little old ladies to get mileage like our favorite politicians.

What inpression are we giving the rest of the world/

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Thomas Cup will be in Jakarta and everyone will have to face

the Jakarta rabble.

How different are Malaysian fans from the rabble in Indonesia,

are we just as irrational, emotional and biased?

Do we need to emulate them?

Should we be better?

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Re: -

I think Msians are more composed and really in it for the game.. to support the team and sometimes even other teams. We don't start throwing bottles into the court :)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    wrong, champions are affected by lack of mental strength. That's why there are times they cannot win tournaments after being champions previously although they may have optimal training preparation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.