[IBF News]From the desk of the President

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cxytdn, Feb 28, 2006.

1. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Our post crossed.

I have also just remembered that the current laws don't need changing to allow TV stoppages, as follows:

"16.3 ​
    Suspension of play

16.3.1 When necessitated by circumstances not within the control of the players, the umpire may suspend play for such a period as the umpire may consider necessary.

16.3.2 Under special circumstances the Referee may instruct the umpire to suspend play.

16.3.3 If play is suspended, the existing score shall stand and play shall be resumed from that point.

16.4 ​
    Delay in play

16.4.1 Under no circumstances shall play be delayed to enable a player to recover strength or wind.

16.4.2 The umpire shall be the sole judge of any delay in play."

To my mind 16.3.1, 16.3.2, and 16.4.2 mean that referees instructions can be handed to umpires (for specific televised tournament) that breaks be taken at specific points for advertisement breaks.​

2. event

event Regular Member

No argument here. I don't know where they find these people. I mean how does any prospective Korean translator (or English proofreader) get within 50 feet of an article by or about Kang Young-joong without somehow stumbling across the fact that badminton is an official Olympic sport?

It just so happens that this kind of thing pales in comparison to the other failings of the IBF leadership.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

but you ignored the parts that talked about badminton being in the 2004 Olympics and 2008 Olympics. Take those together with the incorrect part, and you should infer that there is a mistake of some sort in the document.

Not jump to "Punch thinks badminton isn't in the Olympics".

( unless you work for the Daily Sport :p )

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You might have noticed this was not written by Punch Gunalan! :p
    (but by IBF president Kang Young Joong)

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I did, but there's so much IBF bashing going on it's easy to get them mixed up.

(not to imply that I think it is all unwarranted though)

6. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    It would be altering the game a little bit to have breaks for advertising, but so long as it was a planned interval, (say, every 10-15 minutes) maybe there wouldn't be any undue advantage given to any one player.

What do they do in Tennis? have a break after every game? The problem with my above suggestion is that there could be an advantage given to a player if there was a break in the middle of play - Say one player starts to make a big run of points, but then there's a break, he or she loses rhythm, and the opponent takes off flying after the break. I dont know if there's a solution without compromise, except not showing it live... which I have to admit I wouldn't have too much trouble with.

7. event

event Regular Member

No indeed, since in the US and Canada, the alternative is the current case where you don't get to see it at all! However, being in Canada during the All-England was no hindrance since they never show it in Korea anyway, live or otherwise. All we get here is some Olympics, the Korea Open, a bit of the WC, and some domestic tournaments.

The idea of interrupting a run with a TV break applies to ANY point system and in no way justifies changing the scoring.

8. Twodogs

Twodogs Regular Member

Self Employed
    Tennis players have a break after every third game (I think)