IBF new website

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by indbwf, Apr 12, 2006.

1. indbwf

indbwf New Member

IBF new website is much more presentable than the previous one. at least it looks better than BC right now. the information r atleast okay. IBF administrators have probably improved with a fear or a threat of being thrown out. there is much more life like exclusive section and other things. let us wait and see.

:) :rolleyes: :D

2. Tuokki

Tuokki Regular Member

Student / Badminton coach
    Too many moving things, I don't like it at all!!

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I agree. It's a horrible website; positively nauseating.

Why can't web developers stop making dancing baloney, and start making websites that users like? :rolleyes:

Web developer:
    "Look, I made Peter Gade float across the screen! And at the same time, I created a scrolling list and a jerky ticker tape. Isn't that cool?"​

Website user:
    "I feel sick."​

#3 Gollum, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  4. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

there is still no Head2Head for doubles.

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Unless I'm mistaken you can't view a players actual results in tournament anymore from the rankings, nor search by country in the rankings. Overall quite poor for a world governing body

6. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

internationalbadminton.org new look

I like the new site. I feel it is now equal to the previous www.worldbadminton.net

8. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    The new site is really really shiny. Fantastic.

9. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    yeah.. :rolleyes:
    and they can't even get the Asia's Badminton website address right

www.asainbadminton.org.my

Duh..

10. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I find the website horrible. It is so badly designed and look so cheap.

However, as someone from the internet industry, sometimes it is not that much about the designer but also about the customers. Most customers tend to think they know what is good design and tend to put in stupid constrains on creativity. These customers tend to think their personal taste represents those of the usual web users (especially they themselves hardly surf). And from what I can see from the site, I think they have a very serious budget constrain as well.

11. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

to me, informations r more important than the outlook.

12. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

yes, it's making me dizzy :eek:
    didn't they hear that animations and flash are passe ???
    just look at the best web pages of the Ineternet like Yahoo, they learned long time ago you need to keep it simple and clean.
    no one is asking for flash banners and flying Peter Gade's or Lin Dan's :D
    also the site is extremely slow to me :( (possibly because it's in Malaysia)
    I hope they focus on adding more information and less fancy stuff.

13. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

14. event

event Regular Member

Okay, I can accept that some customers might blame the designer when the problem may, in fact, be that the tastes of said customers don't jive with the tastes of the majority. However, such complaints do not constitute "stupid constraints on creativity". The complaints, if actually made to the people responsible for the site, are what the web designers can use to determine whether they are satisfying their users or not. What the complaints posted here seem to be saying is that they suspect the web designers are viewing valid criticisms as "stupid constraints on creativity". In other words, the flashing crap is only pleasing the designers and other people who don't actually use the site to get information. Creativity is great if it is useful or if it is used in a context of making a work of art; however, websites are first and foremost a tool to be used by users. If fancy graphics help the users use the site or make the experience more pleasant, fine. If they are getting in the way of users using a site or making the experience slow or otherwise unpleasant, then it should be fixed. This is especially true if, as you say, the development team is strapped for cash. They should be spending their resources making it functional first and adding the annoying graphics later, if at all. The Head-to-Head function is a good example. It's in their for singles so it seems clear that someone at IBF or the development team thinks it is important. However, more than half of badminton competitions are doubles and the doubles head-to-head function has been missing for more than a year. Now tell me where those limited resources would have been better used.

15. event

event Regular Member

As tutu h pointed out, you can get the tournament results and actually they go back further than 15 months again so that is nice. The search by country works but it has the huge Olympic list by 3-letter abbreviation which isn't as convenient as the old site was with the full country-name list. To search this way, go to the rankings list and use the drop-down list labelled NAC. See the picture below. What they don't have that the old worldbadminton site had is the links for individual tournaments where you could pull it up and see exactly who they'd beaten and lost to in each tournament. At least now we can again see how far they got in each tournament.

Attached Files:

#15 event, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  16. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I was referring to designing a website commercially in general. However, one thing is perhaps the customers insisted on something flashy? I had quite a number of customers who insisted on flashy stuff even when told its irritating.

Regarding outdated information, do note that many customers do not understand that a website requires maintenance and they need to pay for maintenance to keep the website updated. Sometimes, they only want to update it once every six months or once a year without knowing that the site will look silly with one-year old information.

Many customers still regard a website like a signboard hanging outside the door collecting dust.

At the end of the day, its just a matter of how much the IBF value their website and what kind of people working there.

17. event

event Regular Member

These are all valid points. I guess it makes sense to distinguish among the developer, the "customer" and the "user". The IBF is clearly the "customer" here and for all we know, when they saw Peter Gade floating across the screen, they may all have been pleased as Punch (Gunalan, that is, when he sees Maria Sharapova's sexy tennis dresses). Of course, Kang is used to Korean websites and it's hard to find one here that doesn't popup and flash you silly.

As for maintenance, I think a lot of us here are comparing it to the old site that managed to stay reasonably up-to-date for many years. It always lagged somewhat, but was never as bad as the new site is.

As for the constant maintenance,