I think China will retain as the 2012 Thomas Cup title holder

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Finals 2012' started by chris-ccc, Feb 20, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hm... how do you determine who is the winner, if there are 6 events? we need an odd number of events.

in the old days, the Thomas Cup has 9 events, 5 singles (3 players, 1vs1, 2vs2, 1vs2, 2vs1, and then 3 vs 3), and then 4 doubles mixed together with 4 players. that was tough competition that lasts 2 days.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Singles and Doubles events are to be taken with standing of equal importance

If the 6 matches give a 3:3 results, then count the total number of games won by each team.

If the total number of games won by each team are the same, then count the total number of points won by each team.

If the total number of matches, games and points happen to be the same for each team, then they become co-champions.

My suggestion is to ensure that Singles and Doubles events are to be taken with standing of equal importance.

Currently, CHN, with more stronger Singles players, have an advantage at this TC/UC tournament.

I am not suggesting to lower CHN's chances of winning; I am suggesting that both Singles and Doubles events should have standing of equal importance.

3. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Look at the current TUC squad for some countries, already they have to field certain players in both singles and doubles simply because they do not have the necessary depth. Forcing this rule would 1) lessen the pool of countries having a realistic shot at the title, and 2) diminish the quality of play when singles players are called on to play doubles, especially when they've already played a singles match.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sudirman Cup is the BEST !!!

Actually, I like the Sudirman Cup the best. It provides equal standing for all divisions:- MS, WS, MD, WD and XD.

At the Sudirman Cup, CHN can really show us how strong they are (using their No.1's for each division).

5. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

everybody has the same chances to win. u dont wanna go the table tennis route where u watch weak players cuz of stupid quotas. the mere suggestion is only to diminish china's chances of winning.

6. MHHung

MHHung Regular Member

Man, why have to change the rules against China. If you want to become champion, let raise your level to match China otherwise you won't worth it.

7. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    China is strong in men singles may be because of the Thomas Cup format. If it is changed as suggested, then they will come out with strong men doubles as well as men singles.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Man, why have to change the rules against China?

WOW... It appears that my suggestion was to prevent China from winning the Thomas Cup. :eek::eek::eek:

No, this is not the case.

Remember my comment in Post #19;

Because BCers (and many other Badminton fans) are more interested in Doubles, I thought the Thomas Cup (and even the Uber Cup) could be arranged in this format/schedule in the future;

* 1st Doubles
    * 1st Singles
    * 2nd Doubles
    * 2nd Singles
    * 3rd Doubles
    * 3rd Singles

It is not for which country can win, but for what our current Badminton followers are wishing to watch (in terms of how our fast and furious our Badminton is growing).

It is for our sport of Badminton to be developing (not staying as a stagnant sport). :):):)

#28 chris-ccc, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. MHHung

MHHung Regular Member

No
    , You are indeed very DANGEROUS :D, how can you know what everybody thinking, It's just your selfish wish.

#29 MHHung, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Perhaps, other BCers could come in to give their opinions

Perhaps, other BCers could come in to support me (in my comment that Badminton Doubles are much more enjoyable to watch). :):):)

At the time when Sir George Thomas was inspired by Tennis' Davis Cup to have national teams participating in the Thomas Cup competition (first in 1949), he planned for 9 matches (as a challenge match) between countries, 5 Singles and 4 Doubles.

5 Singles and 4 Doubles implies 56% Singles, and 44% Doubles.

Then later (in 1984), IBF changed it to 3 Singles and 2 Doubles.

3 Singles and 2 Doubles implies 60% Singles and 40% Doubles.

As I have commented, why not make a change to 50% Singles and 50% Doubles. Why give Singles more and more preference over Doubles.

BWF also realised that more and more Badminton fans are finding that Doubles are more interesting than Singles to watch.

Therefore, I made my suggestion;

As a comparison, let us look at the Davis Cup.

In the Davis Cup, there are 4 Singles and 1 Doubles. But there are no complaints from Tennis fans. Why? Because Tennis fans like watching Tennis Singles matches than Doubles matches.

But in Badminton, Badminton fans like watching Doubles matches more than Singles.

This is only my opinion. Let's have other BCers to come in with their opinions. :):):)

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

why dont we have a poll to see which of the 5 events is us badminton fans like to watch most?

#31 AlanY, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We need our moderators to start a thread for this poll

Good idea. :D:D:D

We need our moderators to start a new thread for this poll.

13. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

hmm, men doubles indeed very interesting to watch. with such speed and power, it's a very nice entertainment to watch. but men singles has more prestige i think, becoz all the result rely on 1 man, not 2 as in doubles. so i think the format now already fine.

but personal opinion only from me. :D