"I never got round to it" - nonsense.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Aleik, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    For those of you out there convinced that you could make more of yourself as a player IF you had the time to train...well here's some food for thought...

At work:

1) Do simple wrist exercises when on the phone, moving from place to place,
    etc.
    2) Start cycling to work if you already don't and your journey is less than, say,
    6 miles. If it's over 6 miles, begin by building in a little cardio work at the
    weekend then change your journey to work after a few weeks.
    3) Now that you cycle to work, the money you save on petrol or bus fares can
    go towards coaching, or a reward for cycling every day.
    4) It doesn't hurt to regularly hydrate yourself every half-hour or so. You'll
    need it for the cycle ride.
    5) If you are on the move, move quickly and enjoy the fact that you are
    allowing yourself a little exercise.

At home:

1) You are what you eat. Eat fresh fish, veg, and season with herbs and other
    flavours (not salt). Drink water, nothing else. Savour chocolate and sweet
    things if you must eat them.
    2) Practice imagery techniques when you can't get to sleep. It makes sense.
    3) If you watch too much television, limit yourself by reading the TV schedule
    beforehand. This saves slumping on the couch all night.
    4) Take 10 minutes at each end of the day to stretch. This can be done when
    waiting for the bath to run, toast or for the kettle to boil (for a hot glass of
    WATER!).

Always:

1) Be aware of your breathing and posture. Correction and improvement of
    both will release an untapped reservoir of potential.
    2) Remind yourself that every little positive action is a step further towards
    your goal. Even if it is just eating an apple and banana instead of apple
    crumble.

Little changes make big differences. They are also easier to stick to than big training regimes. Now that I work full time, I've incorporated these little things into my daily routine. Feel free to add any other ideas of your own. They may be useful to anyone who "doesn't have time". ;)

Aleik.

2. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    Aleik,

I like your positive way of thinking. You seem to have covered many things badminton players can do in just the normal course of the day without setting too much time for actual training. I guess another one would be to get enough sleep so you feel refreshed and energized the next day.

And also, when there is time to hit the gym or the court, take advantage of it!

3. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    hurrah!

i say bravo to that. stretching is something that i often neglect... especially when i'm at a club where all anyone wants to do is start hitting on court and playing games directly. Eating sweets is part of my education so i can't easily avoid that, but everything in moderation works well for most people, and it does for me.

during the winter if you have a wood stove, you can crumple up each individual sheet of newspaper with your badminton hand and then use it as a fire lighter:)

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Aleik - great post!

for many people, new years resolutions are coming up once again, and one of the most common ones is to reduce weight or some other silly habit elimination crap. the fact is that single resolutions like that don't fit into most people's lifestyles and unfortunately these resolutions either fall flat after a few weeks, or if successful, they usually wind up back to where they were after some time.

if they can consider starting with small change like Aleik recommends, then they can realize a long lasting change. it becomes a lifestyle change, and it rarely happens overnight. the easy thing about change is that you can start off with simple things, and it really isn't that hard at all.

5. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    "I'd play all the time, but nobody else wants to at 4am on a Monday." - nonsense.

Thanks for the replies.

I'd say for the working population who "don't have time", about 60% of any strength, flexibility or endurance training can be done off court and in daily life.

For those with a considerable amount of free time, it's safe to say that about 95% of all training can be done off court, some in daily life.

For the latter example, here are some tips I've taught myself:

1) Find a squash ball, stand around 3-4ft away from a wall, crouch, and throw the ball hard just above eye-level and catch with the same hand. Do many of these in quick succession. This will build arm strength like you wouldn't believe, and you would "get your eye in", up-and-back style, without a raquet or shuttle.

2) Cycle everywhere. Your bike is your cardio training tool.

3) Make sure you have a variety of hobbies, or at least one or two other than badminton! There is such thing as thinking too much about something.

4) Take about 30 minutes each day to concentrate on your breathing. Sitting positions and daily activities should also be monitored, but not *nally so. Just give yourself a few reminders every day.

5) If you are brave enough, set up your own club or night to practice! Find those few who have exactly the same mindset as you, and keep in regular contact with them (how? read "Starting a club"). At the end of the day, people and regular competition matter.

Keep 'em coming! Aleik. :D

6. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    Here's another one:

If you're sitting at your desk at work or school, rotate your ankles while trying to spell out each letter of the alphabet with your toes. if what you're doing at work or school takes a little concentration then just rotate your ankles in different directions. this will help strengthen your ankles and leave you less prone to injuries.

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i could do all that stuff if i wasn't lazy :rolleyes: :(

i do do the wrist exercises though on my spare time..better than nothing:D

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i used to have a stress ball at work. until i was squeezing it so much that it started falling apart...