I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Played doubles and I did also play some singles with some lower level people so I could really focus on footwork and proper grip/technique.
    Badminton justin has been helping me personally, got to get on a call with him and he's really helped me out with a plan for what to work on.

He thinks working on fundamentals will be important, and that its better for me to nail my grip and footwork first before even talking about doubles strategy for my upcoming tournaments.

In the video today, don't really see much footwork from my hand.

This seems a dumb question but is double footwork just the same as singles footwork, but like you have half a court instead?

Anyways we lost the match today and it really tilted me more than it should've lol

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

When it comes to doubles verse singles footwork, although they are different , the basic movements patterns going to each corner will be used in doubles.
    For example a few times in your game you went from the middle of the court to the backhand side of the court and your Did a smash. If you were able to improve that footwork pattern , your smash would be sharper because you can get further behind the shuttle. You also will recover better. Keep working on basic footwork patterns and if badminton Justin is willing to help you that’s great.

like I mentioned to you I personally like to work on things that will provide the greatest impact on my game. For example in your case it’s footwork.

secondly though there are other things that are fairly easy to fix that will give you way more points in your games.
    1.) STOP LIFTING THE SERVES!!
    Doubles is all about getting on the attack and for some reason you are willing to give them the attack every time you return a serve. That is a bad habit and by fixing this you will see the tides turn in your game. Like I mentioned to you in the phone, in order to be able to return a serve more aggressively you need to be closer to the line. Try being one foot closer than you are used to and get get comfortable with that. Your goal should be to NEVER lift a serve. Also make sure to have your left foot forward when you return a serve, many times your right foot is forward and that is not correct. Once again the reason I think you should work on this is because in doubles , in general the team that gets in the attack wins the rally , and the first couple hits usually determines who gets on the attack, so if you can work on this, you will notice a huge improvement in the number of points from your team.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

He should indeed have his racket foot / left foot, back when returning serve, And he'd struggle getting to flick serves otherwise. That's the reason for having the racket foot back when returning serve.

Technically, if somebody were to only ever do low serves(as may happen with some players at beginner level), and given the same returning position, but with your feet were switched like that, then the racket arm / right arm, can actually be further forward. So an attack on a low serve could be more lethal. But people don't do it because they need to get the flick serve. Some may do it to mess around, once in a blue moon, in a game that isn't serious and shock an "only low serving" opponent that hasn't noticed the funny stance, with a blistering attack. One poster here, a very good player, wrote of doing it in non-serious games, as a joke to bait a flick serve, but they are so quick they'd still get the flick serve, and because they knew the flick was coming, they were super ready for it.

I think with one of precrime's opponents in one match their "flick" was so bad that when he stuck his racket up it was in reach of his racket.

@precrime3 look at the way round your partner's feet are when he returns serve.. that's the recommended way. And obviously his stance is meant to be lower. but that' re stance is always the case with beginner players.

4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Hey guys - I've been training in Korea for the last month or so. Been playing badminton 2-3 hours M-F, and weightlifting with a badminton-specific routine for around 3 days a week too.

Haven't been recording much as it's also been kinda a vacation, but did manage to record this on December 30, and I'll link it below.

Korean badminton is definitely a lot different from what I'm used to, and it really opened my eyes to a lot of things I messed up. It's so much easier to learn and train when someone that knows what they're doing is pointing things out to you. Plus, playing with people when literally everyone is better than you has helped me learn a lot in that aspect as well.

Below is training footage, so what a typical training session with the coach looks like, followed by some games (both I lost) that I recorded.

yenyesoh likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The big weakness is your overhead striking point. You really need to strike the shuttle directly above your right shoulder much better rather than to the right side of your body.

Tilt your right shoulder upwards and left shoulder down more. You should really be nailing this basic action much better if working with a coach five days a week. Maybe the coach is trying to work on all round play but I think he should be spending more time on the overhead at this stage for lifelong improvement.

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Funnily enough in my experience, most coaches don't do what you suggest there re overhead technique. But I think they should.

#166 ralphz, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Most students get bored of it.

If the coach spends proportionately more time on correcting the technique, the student gets bored and thinks the coach is not helping on other aspects of the ‘game’.

Most adult learners want to hurry up and get on with winning points in games - short term gains. The coach has to cater to his clients requests otherwise that student wil drop him and no further income! Understandable really.

speCulatius likes this.
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

The coach can only do so much... the student/player also has to willingly and consciously work on breaking old bad habits, even if it means a temporary setback while deconstructing and reconstructing the stroke.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

speCulatius and akatsuki2104 like this.
  9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

I'll consciously try to remember this. Honestly tho if you review my old footage, my hitting point is a LOT better in defense of the coach but yes , our emphasis over what little time we have had has been drives/smashes as power output in relation to the amount of force I'm actually doing is the main point.

I don't think this is it - as I've told him I just want to get as good as possible in a month (which is a hard demand).

Granted this is my last week before I go back to the states (big sad) so there isn't much to do so I'll probably write down everything I think I need to work on and just ask him before I go.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think ages back it was advised you stand 90 degrees next to a wall. Right side of body and right shoulder about one to two feet away from the wall. with left side furthest away from the wall. Then practice the overhead stroke alongside the wall. Try to do it without moving away from the wall. The only way you can do it is to tilt your shoulders upwards.

It's heaven to practice almost everyday. How many hours a day are you spending with the coach?

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

That wall exercise is good and will help precrime a lot.. Badminton Becky posted a video of that buried somewhere in Mason's "Help me" thread.

The wall concept and not hitting the wall is good..

here found it posted by Borkya

Borkya post #58 page 3
    "When I practice this with my coach there are three distinct steps.
    1-racket up by the ear (I would also raise it up more)
    2- The second position is your racket almost against your back going straight down your back like a spine. You do this by moving your elbow but you need to keep your elbow very close to your body (my coach makes me practice this move with my chest and legs almost touching a wall. As I bring my elbow forward (and racket back) I can't hit my racket or my elbow against the wall.
    3-The third position is hitting it in front of you at the highest point. Stretching out your arm higher than you would do naturally. A slight stretch.

You seem to be skipping step 2 entirely. When you train with a coach he calls out "1,2,3" and you need to hit each step deliberately. Maybe count out in your head and that will help you be more precise."

Borkya post 79 page 4 https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-stroke-please.175791/page-4

"
    "yi, er, san" is chinese for 1,2,3. Notice the second position the racket is almost touching his spine. The OP is still missing that step and as a grl with less natural power I can't stress that enough. You need to be a bit quicker to get it so far back and then up but it really adds a lot of power to your shot without using any extra muscles.

Also notice how close his feet are to the wall and how his body rotates but doesn't flare out at any point. That's an important part to it too. Then you need to go back into the #1 position from the #3 position still without hitting the wall.

Also just ignore my weird chinese at the end, I was asking him a question but I cut off the video before I finished, haha. So it's not part of the strategy."

#171 ralphz, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    precrime3, visor and Cheung like this.
  12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I'm going to try this wall exercise - I totally forgot it existed!

Yesterday's practice involved some rotation practice - it's one of the most glaring issues of my game play of never formally learning how to rotate and who takes what shot in badminton.

Rotation Practice 1/5/2021 - YouTube

13. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Form in the video is wrong. He makes a point about how to correctly get from "step 0" to step 1, then does it wrong himself ... awkward

14. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

You are rotating your right shoulder inwards too much, which is causing your racket strings to be perpendicular to the net, instead of vertical. Smaller and more precise movements lead to better form which leads to better shot quality

15. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    SO my right shoulder should be straight down? like in line with my spine?

16. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Yes. Very little shoulder rotation and chest expansion is needed. Notice that your form looks fine before you swing, then when you are about to swing it changes to in the picture. Camilo Borst has this problem as well

17. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I'm going to try the wall exercise and keep that in mind when I record today. DO you have an example video of what you consider "good stroke"?

18. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yesterday was some training and games, recorded a lot more games today and will just link that in here - not expecting someone to watch all of them just it's good as this has become sort of my journal place.

I noticed that in these games my performance got worse in each game. The third game we were up to a 22-12 point (they play 1 set to 25 here for some reason) and we ended up losing the next 13 consecutive points....

I need to remember to pronate in my smashes I think as well....

19. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I haven't watched everything but your grip seems to tend toward the panhandle grip both for the forehand and some backhand strokes

20. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Try doing a lot of footwork exercises.. I see ur keeping a lot of short steps in your smash training? + Pan handle sometimes. Your stand is wide but while moving immediately start short steps which will not only affect stroke play but also ur timings and energy. Singles practice training and doubles practice training varies a little. While singles footwork training is the basics, In doubles training you do a lot of lateral movements and its footwork.

Additionally I see ur body is some have stiff. You are not relaxing..

If you are a beginner and trying to train yourself, I suggest you play singles, practice the basic shorts and footwork well before moving to doubles games cos your game in doubles depends on your partner as well. I see you partner is also a beginner so no matter how hard you try u can’t get your basics right with doubles game with weak partner. Infact I see all 4 players are beginners. Start playing singles with your coach if you really want to improve and having a coach for training.. that’s when u will notice yourself where u are wrong in your footwork and how bad is your timing in shorts. Coach can also guide u!!

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk