I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

As someone who has started off from square one with no coaching and just had the help from this forum , i am telling you that you will go crazy trying to take ALL the technique advice from the internet. In my experience listen to and follow what Cheung is telling you. As you improve on what he says , he will recommend another thing to work on.

precrime3 likes this.
  2. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    It feels so awkward for me - I need to slow the tempo of the drill so I can get used to it I think.

Saw a good wall drill yesterday - practicing strokes next to a wall so that your elbow has to stay straight and stuff - I think Imma just incorporate some of that as well.

Yes I trust you. and yup wrist bending indeed - me getting lazy. What is this thejyn video you speak of? You could PM it to me?

Was quite helpful actually. Since I'm going to Korea as well, might try going to him actually and getting coaching from him lol.

3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Lol thanks Mason. @Cheung, you should be flattered :)

4. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Adding to @Karlos great video. Here is another video from former pro Kenichi Tago regarding the lower body and footwork when approaching the smash.

Let me know if you found this helpful because I have other similar videos but didn't want to spam.

Karlos and precrime3 like this.
  5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    yo this looks to be helpful - because stroke is important and I think the reason why mine deteriorates or is inconsistent is because I'm worried about getting to the shuttle in time and stuff. Feel free to link more and contribute :)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Lol. You should follow @Mason

His journey showed some excellent progress. Not perfect but considering he’s working on his own most of the time, it’s impressive improvement.

7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Been spending some time reading it already. It's a lot to go through hah :)

Cheung likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What people usually don’t realise is that to play badminton well, it is incredibly sophisticated and takes a lot of hours of training.

For example, football (the round ball) is mainly lower body and legs. Badminton is total body movement right down to fingers.

9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    The more I practice the more I realize that badminton's skill ceiling is so high... I love it lol.

10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Came across this video - think this helped me a lot for some reason.

Talks about rotating the racket head about 10 degrees so when you bring it up your palm and racket head both face forward. I tried some dry swings like this and it feels much better. Will try it out later today and see if it helps.

As for an update for 2/20:

Just played casually, practiced some smashes and clears. No footage, but will record today.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Take a look at the two ladies singles players again and see if they do it.

Have a look at other singles players and see if the majority do it.

12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I feel like you're trying to lead me to the decision this is wrong. From what I just watched of Viktor Axelson in this slow mo video of him, it seems that's what he' doing (having racket face forward when doing anything forehand).

From what I saw of Momota when I watched him this morning - it seems to be right. You want the racket head to face the shuttle unless you're doing a slice or cross-court shot, right?

This video gave me a bit more insight. It seems like that the ending and overall movement is still straight, but there does seem to be some time where the racket head doesn't face forward (namely when you're throwing the elbow forward) - I'm looking at around 38 seconds in this video.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I am referring to even before you start swinging and to how you hold the racquet up in preparation. If you want to learn it well, then it should be held behind your body.

If you can’t get past that, it will be hard to move on to a good stroke from there

Mason likes this.
  14. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

This method does not involve much forearm pronation in smash. It may be easy to smash in this method but it’s little hard to get yourself out after beginner stage and move on!! A smash is highly dependent on good swing when u finally pronates ur forearm..

Search for corkscrew smash method or use kinetic energy in smash!!

Once u come out of ur beginner phase, u will understand why rackets are made for less air resistance, what are the other dynamics in badminton, how speed and anticipation is important.. etc. your beginner phase or foundation is most important for ur next stage!!

When u dry a racket a racket and when u string the racket and swing, there would be a good amt of air resistance and differences because u added strings. So if there is that change and if that could affect ur swing, then think abt others

One of the best smash tutorials I came across is this.. pls learn from this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#94 BalajiSethuraman, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Mason and Cheung like this.
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

5.30 - very important starting point. Get right elbow and hand practically directly behind the body

Mason likes this.
  16. BalajiSethuraman

Correct the basics are more important..

Mason likes this.
  17. Denni

Denni New Member

Not long started playing, so those videos are very helpful as are the comments, I suppose as in anything else, practice is the best medicine

18. BalajiSethuraman

Yes practice is the medicine prescribed for badminton. Once the nuances of basics are well practiced, game will be there forever. All u would need would be a week of touch practice to regain ur badminton back..

19. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

regarding videos of pros doing the smash, and shown in slow motion, this one is great as if often shows the racket

It's good to know their technique, but trying to mimic pros from watching videos of them might not be effective, as their technique is so advanced/sophisticated. Some practise stick smashes and build up from there, which makes sense.

This is 'thejym /jimmy lin video that many have referred to on the forum and that I mentioned earlier in the thread and said i'd find the link for.

I don't think he does every swing the same, but that aside..

Notice how his racket is pointing after a very full follow through

[​IMG]

the racket is pointing down a bit as is natural, and the shaft perpendicular to the net, frame is perpendicular to the net(i.e. face perpendicular to the floor), with the butt of the racket facing the net.

with a panhandle grip, or a grip that is a bit panhandle, one doesn't tend to get that. even when doing a very full follow through.

this is because at that point in the swing, when doing a very full follow through as far as that, players are fully pronated at that point, and if you have forehand grip and full pronate, and do a very full follow through then you get that, with the frame and butt of racket, when/if your hand is across you over there / near your non-racket hip.

In your 2/17/20 match, at 0:40-0:42 you do a lift and skid along after your lift (generally people recommend better shoes / proper badminton shoes, when people skid) but also you should have an awareness that you're meant to stop and hit.

then at 0:44 you've done a smash on the forehand side, not a round the head, and your racket ends up in that racket face and shaft parallel with the net position. I don't know if some may think that's proof of panhandle.. I'm a bit skeptical..But if your racket were to have ended up as in that jimmy lin video then that'd definitely be forehand grip. (assuming you're not bending the wrist even over there!). Though such a full follow through isn't so necessary, but could be worth doing just as a check of your grip, if people here are saying you are panhandle, that may be one thing you can do to check. .i.e. try a very full follow through and see if your racket ends up like the jimmy lin picture I showed. You can try it at home.

#99 ralphz, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  20. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    2/26/20 Update
    Know there hasn't been an update in a while, but will most likely post a more indepth one later. Essentially this weekend was my rest weekend (I workout for aesthetics) so I took a break from badminton as well. I got my training racket (120g) yesterday so I've been having fun being challenged by normal drills and you'll hopefully see some footage of that later.

I played around with it last night and when I switched back to my regular racket I felt pro LOl... all my smashes were bending my shaft (astrox 88s), they sounded amazing, everything was spot on. I'm SOLD lol.

I also think it's helping with my form because if I mess it up it hurts.... so I'm being diligent with my form I think. Again video later should show if it changes or not.

Mason and Cheung like this.