I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Do think I should be working more on contact point first reviewing my own footage…

2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

This is the least important for now, believe me. In a stable position, most smashes can be defended relatively easily, so the point of training is , to get your opponent out of position first, then provoke a weak return with a smash and eventually finish this weak return to get a point.
    When you play vs better players who do a high, deep serve, try to smash, the result will most likely be that you will put yourself under pressure, but not your opponent.
    This murder smashes you sometimes see will most often only work vs weaker players, the better player will smash, because it is more fancy, but any placed flick, drop or net shot would do. [ok, disclaimer, when you get higher and better, you will need a good, steep smash, but this will take some time].

Badminton is 80% about your legs, prime example is momota. Sure, he can smash and can smash really hard, but his footworks is so good that he is able to put himself in a good position all the time before he executes his shots. Once you play vs much better players, you will lose, because they just turn up the pace of the game. This is often enough, that you will not get in a good position and suddenly your whole game crumbles.

3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah I understand that just based on what our training schedule consists of. Footwork is by far the most practiced thing, followed by clears, and then drops. Just me being unhappy and finding something to complain about I guess lol

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It would be better if you can put your camera at a waist height level and you do a shuttle routine that has smashes in it.

One thing I think that’s happening is you prepare for the overhead by keeping your racquet out to the right hand side. I feel that’s restricting you at the moment.

With regard to the hip rotation and switching legs, I think that’s a matter of time when it will start to come. You have so much going on, readjusting to new movement patterns, new strokes, new physical condition, that it’s difficult get it down precisely. I would avoid the hammer grip as that is restrictive. I can recall only seeing one international player at super series level play with a hammer grip for overheads and that was about 15-16 years ago. That player was from Australia.

5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

I’ll try to record at waist level with a chair or something. As for prepping for overhead movement i def think so.

does it still look like I’m using hammer grip? I’m intentionally using a v grip so how can I change that? I can send a pic later of my grip

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I just had a look at your last instagram. It doesn’t look like a hammergrip at all now - you did well to change it so quickly.

Reminder to position yourself underneath the shuttle as it drops from height. You’ll be able to reach up higher (tilt right shoulder upwards) and probably that will help with the leg and hip rotation. It’s harder to rotate when your contact point is out to the far right of your body.

precrime3 likes this.
  7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Oh so YOU'RE THE OYSTER hahah.

And yeah the head coach (the one that I always see on TV with Intanon at games) like had a 1 on 1 with me about grip. IT was pretty memorable so it's seared into my head now lol.

And yeah, I'll keep that in mind today, getting into perfect position under/directly behind the shuttle and see what that looks like on footage.

Cheung likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Totally not jealous…..

9. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

To be honest, don't target to lose weight turing this camp. This camp is a unique opportunity where you should learn as much technique as possible. You will burn so many calories that as long as you eat normal,healthy stuff, you will lose fat automatically (just leave away junk food as reward for a hard training day ;)). I've several diets over a course of 30 years (one where I lose 11 kg in 7 weeks) and tbh, I don't diet any longer, just change what and in my case when I eat (during the week I only eat once per day). But every diet I had has one thing in common, the lose of power/energy, which is compeletly counterproductive if you want to get better in sports.

visor, llrr, precrime3 and 1 other person like this.
  10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah I really needed to hear this. You're right that dieting is kinda like optimization - and I'm here to fully learn. Losing weight/gaining muscle will naturally occur as I give it my all, so I should just focus on that.

Cheung likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Getting better in your last IG. Sometimes you are getting underneath and sometimes you slip back into hitting the shuttle out to the right when you could do better.

Do you feel any difference about getting the contact point higher?

precrime3 likes this.
  12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    it’s def a footwork thing. But yes it makes my clear quality better and easier, drops are more threatening, etc. smashes are easier for angle but I’m figuring out my body just needs its own timeline, I think my arms are fairly strong but actually biggest bang for buck would be recruiting my hips and legs for rotation

Cheung likes this.
  13. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Also noticed I’ve lost quite a bit of touch on my nets, maybe it’s cause haven’t practiced? But also I’m taking nets quite low even when I’m early, so it’s a bad habit I need to fix - I could produce a lot more points and pressure I noticed today if nets had been better

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Probably you have the same contact point but different body position and that contributes to your touch being off. Also, it’s a common thing to see netshots taken low when a person could take them higher. I agree it’s a matter of practicing and trying to incorporate into your new speed around the court.

15. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    I notice that you get frustrated when the shuttle doesn't go over. Don't let frustration get in the way of your performance! Have fun while practicing! I really enjoyed watching your progress from your videos. :):D

precrime3 likes this.
  16. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah mentality is a battle that's even harder than the opponent lol. I have been getting better by allowing an reaction like a sigh or whatever, then forgetting about it and remembering the past doesn't dictate the future.

Ironically, when I tell myself that it's okay to lose I tend to play better. I think mentally it also helps me relax, and stay lose.

Anyways training update soon - having dinner with some of the staff and players atm

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  17. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Training Update 6/29/21
    Normally I try to do these updates on Mondays, our off days. But yesterday we actually got to experience some freedom so I was actually out all yesterday (go to the airport to finally get my wallet, went shopping at a mall, etc.). So I'm writing this on Tuesday, which would mark the 18th day here training.

Over the last week I kind of gotten used to the workload, at least physically. Tuesdays are always a super heavy chest/arms day, so that's also what we did this morning. Thursdays are always running days. the weekends are always game days (so sparring, no skill training).

As for performance on court, it's definitely a marked improvement. More kids were coming in as the school reopened so I was able to play against kids more in line against my levels so our games were much closer. Contact point is much much higher (I think that maybe there's still 5-7cm I'm consistently forgetting about), split step is basically automatic at this point for me(it does still need refinement, I don't land on my feet at the same time), and shot selection/quality has led to longer rallies. Net is something I've moaned about before, but it's something I'll moan about again - def need to get better at basic, tight net shots and some slight spins.

I regularly upload (everyday) my full lessons (physical+ on court time) so I won't comment on it because it's already out there.

THe only thing I'd like some feedback on is where my footwork was wrong here (I almost sprained my ankle and fell retrieving a late shot to my forehand back corner)

Feel free to watch the full video but that link will take you to 5 seconds before it happens to give some context, but yeah. Am really grateful I was able to come away unscathed but now am mentally a little scared of that corner/situation (until i fix whatever caused it to happen).

As for other injuries, shoulder doesn't hurt anymore when smashing or putting power. Think combination of adjusting to volume, finding what stretches I need to be doing, as well as better technique. 25 pounds of exbolt 63 has been kind to me, but I noticed a lot of my shots feel loose, and more than average are going out. Can't help but think if it's because I've been playing at 28 for so long?

Other factor is that the footage was on Sunday, and I get restrung on Mondays. So the string has been used for nearly 20 hours, and may have been more like 24 pounds? Yeah idk maybe I'm overthinking it.

Will probably at 25 pounds for another week, maybe two. Then I'll try 26, play for 2-3 weeks, and work my way up.

That's it for this week folks, lmk if there's any questions!

Cheung and badmintonpog1 like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

those late forehand shots require your foot to turn outwards on landing to maintain ankle stability. On some occasions if you taking the shuttle really late, the toe might actually need to point to the back of the court when the foot lands.

If you take the shuttle at around shoulder height or above, you’ll probably be okay without turning the foot too much, for example in this clip

Make sure you do ankle stability exercises like hopping on one foot on to different surfaces and keeping a steady balance. Very important and helpful.

If you are tired, that will also contribute to instability.

#258 Cheung, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    precrime3 and Mason like this.
  19. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Training Update 7/5/21
    Hope y'all had a happy fourth of July! I was training lol, so it was a good day. This week seemed rather easy in comparison to the first two, we did a lot of consistency drills (getting the ball and returning to the same corner 16/20 times, and the opponent can put ball anywhere), smash games where you try to knock over tubes, 2 v1 stuff, etc.

Physical Updates

Weight this morning (after some beers and eating super unhealthily yesterday) was at 83.5 KG, and it seems weight has stabilized around the 83-85kg range. This should lead to some further weight loss in the following weeks I hope (I visibly look skinnier, but it will be nice to see the number go down as well).

Yonex Shopping Spree

I was able to get a pretty steep discount at a Yonex shop and so truly went insane and bought:

• a new bag (the orange/camel gold ones that came out with the 88 pro's)
    • 2 pairs of the eclipsion z's,
    • 100zz Kurenai colorway
    • Astrox 88d pro 4u
    • Astrox 77 4u
    • ZF2
    • Arcsaber 11
    • Bunch of clothes
    Turns out my real love of my life is the 100zz. It's the racket that gives me effortless power, telepathic accuracy, etc. Interesting tho, because I tried the 3U when it first came out and it killed my shoulder, and tried the 4U from a friend last week and felt like it was too weak. This time around the 3U felt solid (not heavy), and the shaft seemed somehow both stiff when needed for accuracy but flexed perfectly for power... yeah idk it just felt amazing.

On top of the 2 88s pros and 99's I have now... I've got wayyy too many rackets. Will def try to offload some of these when I'm in Korea, and will probably buy at least another 100zz before I leave here.

Training Thoughts
    My sparring days this week were hot and cold, felt like a coin flip if I would play well that day or not. I was reminded to bend knees, and remember low center of gravity which I somehow forgot haha. Will try to incorporate that into this week's training/matches, and hopefully it's a lot easier given the amount of training that we do for our legs here.

IG link to the rackets and what I bought is here: Nigel/미소 Dollentas on Instagram: “Did a little shopping today ”

20. returntobadmin

returntobadmin Regular Member

How much does it cost ?