Hybrid Stringing Method

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Traum, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Omegamiko

Omegamiko Regular Member

I'm a student, doing webdesign and a badminton equ
    Just to add my two cents. I strung a Woven 8 with BG-80 Mains and Gosen Bio Roots 66 on the crosses at 24x26. The result was quite astonishing. The feel was very odd, but it was strangely quite powerful. I don't like the feeling enough to try it again however.

2. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    hahah i thought of the best idea ever!!!! bg65 for its durability and then bg66 for explosiveness

3. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i've tried it.
    i personally thought it sucked.
    the bg65 loses tension fast enough so that your bg66's are wasted.
    besides, bg66 is still thin. it'll break anyway.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Got some string tails left from previous works, so i ran an experiement by using NBG95 for main and BG80 for cross @ 22x24lb. So far, I only played 1 session, but I noticed the string bed is stiffer than pure BG80. Performance does not change too much, as most the games were light in that session. Will follow up with some reviews, after more sessions. ;)

5. aznchopstix89

aznchopstix89 Regular Member

they do this alot in tennis but not so much in badminton yet. doesnt mean its a bad idea. i live in the bay area...so if u guys know the shop "racket supply", well the owner was giving me a lecture on about how i should do hybrid stringing b/c i break my strings too often =) (every 2 weeks or so). Anyways he told me that your strings that go horizontal are your control strings, vertical are the power strings. Which ever ones you snap first, you should modify with hybrid stringing.

i.e. - if i find my vert. strings snapping earlier, im not useing my horizontal strings to the fullest. so what i can do instead is either string the horizontal set at a higher tension or my vert set at a lower tension(but thats just changing the tension on the SAME string).
    What hybrid stringing really is - its useing lets say bg-80's on my verticals, but gosen bioroots-66(very good control stings imo) for my horizontal. Since i also find that my vert set snapped first, i right now tend to string my horizontal set at a higher tension so that both my horiz and vert sets "wear out or max out" at nearly the same time before they snap.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Figure out why you break your string that often. Tennis racquets are different than badminton racquets. I would suggest you to try out hybrid to see what different does it make and write a report on it.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    However, isn't that will change the racket shape to be a bit narrower, which is bad for the racket in a long run??? :confused:

8. aznchopstix89

aznchopstix89 Regular Member

not really...u will be surprised how much your racket can take. and when i mean higher tension, its not by that much higher, just maybe 1 lb higher.
    currently i do 25 x 26 ( bg-80's or 85's + gosen bioroots66). warp-age of your racket is only a concern if u string 27+ i think, anything below that should be okay.... I have been useing my AT800 for 2 years now..and the frames fine. I only started to string hybrid a year ago. everything is fine til this day =)

9. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

Using different strings on same racquet?

Couple of weeks ago when I took my racquet to be restringed the guy said he didn't have enough of BG65. So what he did was he used BG65 vertically and BG68 latterally.

I'm just wondering, are there any pros or cons for doing this? is it something like using two types of strings makes the weaker one stronger? or is it that they have different feel and bounce that it decreases the performace entirely?

Thanks

10. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    Well boths strings have different purposes. Not sure what difference it will make , I'm sure there will be a difference. Test your racket out and then post the results.

11. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

look up posts about hybrid stringing

12. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

'Hybrid Stringing' (not sure if this is the correct term) is common in Tennis. I've tried it and find that it yields no significant advantage (in badminton), at least for me.;)
    I'd suggest you give it a try (since your racquet is already strung) and see for yourself (you never know...).:)

13. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

thanks.
    honestly I didn't notice any real difference; was just wondering if there was an actual edge for the game from other players. I'm not professional enough to notice the diff, lol

14. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Just to add-on...
    I don't think it does harm/damage to the frame, in case you're wondering.;)

15. biomik

biomik Regular Member

Hybrid stringing

It seems using 2 different strings for mains and crosses is pretty standard in tennis. Anyone has ever tried or thought about doing same for badminton? Would it make any sense to use durable and thicker string for mains that nearly always break first (say BG65) and thinner one for crosses (say BG80) to improve playability?

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The most common hybridisation in tennis is polyester mains and gut crosses because of top-spin, which is created by the mains brushing across the ball; gut isn't durable enough for this. Gut can be and is used on the crosses, though, as it gives the best feel and control.

In badminton there's no such thing as top-spin so, aesthetic (or "whatever's left in stock") considerations aside, there's no reason for hybrid jobs:D.

17. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I think fishmilk nailed the subject on the head with this post. In tennis hybrid usually refers to different string material, not simply different brand/gauge string. Reasons he stated as durability, playability/spin and cost.

Badminton still has these characteristics in hitting but i think we refer to it differently as power and control. Players will say this string feels strong/powerful/weak or it feels crisp/numb and additionally durability of course. I think those should be the parameters you should be looking at when doing badminton 'hybrids'

Right now im not seeing a huge enough difference to justify hybridding for myself, but i'd see it being feasible for players who dont string themselves and find them selves breaking a lot of strings, or simply could forgo power or control at the cost of durability. There are strong strings for both for power to control that have about equal durability and that hybridding can yield a gradient in between to match a players desires.

18. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can try using NBG98 and CBG100 together

19. phili

phili Regular Member

Tried a hybrid BG65 x Zymax65 for some time now. I choose those two strings because I had just enough for either mains or crosses on each reel left. The tension was 23x23 lbs if I recall correctly. The first impression was good but nothing too exciting. After some sessions I noticed that shots that didn't come off the sweet spot were really bad (probably due to the high tension loss of BG65). The stringbed got worse with every day so I cut it today after about two months of playing with it. The durability however seemed really good, better than normal BG65. There was no fraying whatsoever.

20. indra81

indra81 Regular Member

owner
    my racket

hybrid string victor vs850 x bg66 ultimax

Attached Files: