How to protect my rackets in winter?

Discussion in 'Badminton Bag' started by Diamondx1, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Diamondx1

Diamondx1 Regular Member

School
    I always walk to my local badminton center and even though winter is fast approaching that still won't stop me. One of my biggest concerns is that the cold can ruin my rackets and I was looking for some tips and idea's on how to protect them from the cold. Thanks

2. xeoreg

xeoreg Regular Member

Use a badminton bag and keep your rackets in their sleeves. Let your rackets warm up before using them, I'd say 15~20 minutes is sufficient. I keep my favorite rackets in my bag and use either a training racket or my cheap loaner racket if I want to play immediately.

3. aoen12

aoen12 New Member

wait... the cold can ruin rackets? I left my Voltric in the garage while I didn't play for 3 winters :S

To add some potential advice perhaps a hand warmer pack would work? Either one that is chemical / disposable or one you microwave. I would think you wouldn't want too much of a heat/cold contrast so I would put it somewhere not directly on the rackets... for next winter anyway

4. phorge

phorge Regular Member

Use a thin woolen blanket as a racket wrap inside your bag.

5. phili

phili Regular Member

The cold can ruin strings for sure but I doubt it will harm the frame itself. Carbon fibers can generally handle temperature drops pretty well.

6. Ytzeluttik

Ytzeluttik New Member

The high end Yonex racketbags have a compartmend that is isolated with a material that keeps the cold out. So it can't harm your rackets and strings. This is even usefull when you bag is in the cargospace of a airplane.

7. phorge

phorge Regular Member

According to the website, that lining is for protecting the rackets from heat. I am not sure if it works the other way around.

However, this lining is basically an insulating lining in one compartment. So it might work to protect the rackets from the cold as well.

The mid-range bags had that compartment couple of years back. The example I can give you is BAG7329EX.

#7 phorge, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  8. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    The main risk with the cold now will be that the strings will be more brittle when cold. With the risk of breaking them during warm up.
    The rackets should be fine - maybe the will fell a little "numb"
    When cycling with my gear when it is really cold I don't think a thin blanket or an insulated racket compartment will keep the rackets frost free.
    To warm them up I just put them on the radiator of the changing room while I change clothes.

9. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    You should let the racket warm up/cool down to room temp. Shouldn't take more than 10min.

10. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

I live in Canada so our temperature ranges quite dramatically, I have switched to a bag with a thermal layer, the inside is a reflective material, much like a heat blanket. This helps regulate temperatures inside that compartment, both for hot and cold.

Main problem is cold temperature like everyone mentioned, is more dry and brittle strings, resulting in even fresh strings to break within minutes.

11. phorge

phorge Regular Member

That material you described sounds similar to the one found in the Yonex bags with thermal guard compartments.

12. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

Yup my bag is a Li-Ning one, the sides have foam insulation, and the middle compartment is a reflective thermal section.

13. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    You need something with a high heat capacity (water) to help regulate the temperature. So you can either stick a water bottle with hot water in the bag along with the rackets. Or use a reusable heat pack. http://amzn.com/B002OSWW34
    But when i lived in Canada, I just took out my rackets and let them sit in open air while I stretched. By the time I was done, the rackets were at a reasonable temperature and I could start warming up.