How to make player hit the shuttle high enough?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Tomus, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Tomus

Tomus Regular Member

I'm working for a year now with a group of children about 9-10 years old. Many of them has a problem, that they are hitting the shuttle too low when performing any overhead stroke, and not in the axis of the body, but sideways. Do you have any tips what to do? All I was doing is just stand behind them doing a simple exercise (like one player lifts, one plays drops on 1/2 court) and keep telling them to play it higher and to start the stroke earlier, but it seems to have little or no effect. I also made them use their non-racket hand as "a pointer" - so they point to the direction shuttle is coming from and then play it, but it doesn't work either - when they see the shuttle coming, they just lower the pointing hand and play it too low...

2. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    "not in the axis of the body, but sideways" sorry I don't understand what you mean by this...

Anyway, first thing is to find out why they hit too low, their can be several reasons, but for children it is very common that they actually wait for shuttle, instead of meeting it.
    If that is the problem you can make excises where they through the shuttle without the racket, that is having it in their hands and then through the shuttle.

3. Tomus

Tomus Regular Member

I mean that they hit the shuttle too much on the side of the body, not exactly overhead.

I agree timing may be the problem, I already tried to make them start the stroke preparation earlier, but it didn't work too well. I'll definitely try some throwing exercises, thanks for your advice.

4. leftyskill

leftyskill Regular Member

umm u could try getting them to hold their upper arm up next to their head, so that theyd be forced to hit at the highest point

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    After a few swings, the racket may be too heavy for them. That's why there are some junior rackets for younger kids. It's like an adult having a rubber game and your racket felt like a ton.

6. pasifik

pasifik Regular Member

enterpreneur
    Hi Tomus,

I can say badminton exercise for children between age 6-10 years is in development stage that we can't force them to much for practicing. All you can do is combination between fun and serious exercise. I think overhead stroke is a little bit complicated for those ages.

Best thing for you as a trainer just put them the basic stroke, drills and shadow exercises. According to my experience, the most important thing is practicing footwork. You can combine this exercise to make them happy not boring.

badminton lover,

http://badminton-a-hobby.blogspot.com/

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    How about asking the kids to just throw a shuttlecock as far and as high as possible over the net. Throwing comes naturally. Whilst one kid is throwing ask the others to watch the throwing action/movement. Then ask the same kid to hit the shuttle using a racquet. Ask the other kids if they can see the difference. Herein is the key.
    I know two 10-year old kids (boys) who beat a pair of 18 year old boys in the finals of a local competition with ease last week. I see no reason why 6-10 year olds can be trained to hit properly.

8. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Ok, now I get it. It seems like that they don't know how to position themselves, that their footwork and coordination is not yet develop. The throwing action, when ready, can be combined with footwork. If they shall answer a flat stroke/shuttle, let them take a step towards the shuttle.

9. Tomus

Tomus Regular Member

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll try it and let you know the result.

10. ibm88

ibm88 Regular Member

Hi,
    The reason why they cannot clear properly is because they are hitting the bird in front of their head. The proper way to clear a shuttle is to make contact from behind the head so when they swing the racquet, the racquet would be travelling upwards.

11. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    If you stand behind them, you will probably observe that they are hitting the shuttle in exactly the same place and height the would hit it, if if they were to use just the hand.
    It takes time and effort for the brain to deal with the 68 cm extension of the arm, caused by the racket.

If have 2 suggestions for improving the contact point (higher and in front of you).
    1) Let them play. Most of them will eventually find their own "sweet spot" according to their indidvidual physical charateristics and playing style.
    It is OK to help them on their way, with verbal encouragement and demonstration.

2) Try using a gallow, where you can dangle the shuttle in the "perfect heigth". And where you can control the players position under the shuttle (behind the shuttle, directly under or slightly to one side etc.)
    Or even better - combine 1 and 2.

Keep in mind that, slightly bent joints produce more and quicker power that the strecthed arm. So if they continue to hit the shuttle low it may just be because they are not yet strong enough. Which would indicate use of 1)

12. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Get them to practice freestyle in swimming as it applies abit to the overhead since you have to kind of stretch your arms full length to the highest point.

13. Tomus

Tomus Regular Member

You mean like hang the ball down from the gymnastic rings in the appropriate height?

14. michaeldalian

michaeldalian Regular Member

PhD student
    as suggested by the famous chinese badminton trainer Jie, Xiao, let the kids stand biside a wall or near the net. This will force them to raise their elbow and hit the birdie at a high point...

15. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    How are they holding the racquet normally. Is the racquet head somewhere between their knees and waist or is it shoulder height? Try telling the kids to keep the racquet head high roughly shoulder height at all times, that might help.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Frankly, coaching or explaining stroke-making in writing or reading from any books on badminton is not quite satisfactory. One can end up doing the wrong thing. The best way is for a coach or someone knowledgeable to demonstrate and correct such strokes on the court. There is nothing better than a demonstration on the court.

17. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Ask them to try to swing too soon, i.e. to miss the shuttle by swinging under it.

Mostly people swing low because they think the racket is shorter than it really is.

18. krisss

krisss Regular Member

This would be a really good idea , to raise there racket when hitting. I might even start useing this formyself for younger kids :D:D:D