How to lift/clear less?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Hbmao, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I’m trying to reduce how much I lift/clear and turn the initiative back to the opponents. Two reasons I lift/clear: 1. I don’t see better options (more details below), 2. I’m decent at defense and wouldn’t mind opponent smashing. I want to change because I have observed good players who really vary their shots and hence can sustain the initiative for long rallies without going all-out attacking. And I have also felt the pain where opponents can smash the lift/clear that I consider “good quality” and put my side under pressure, which I feel that I handed those opportunities to them.

Where I really could use some pointers is at the front. If the opponent plays a drop or soft block and it’s already below the tape when I get to the shuttle, what options do I have beyond lifting? Do I just drop straight back? Or drop cross court? Or try soft push? How do I make sure it gets past the opponent frontcourt player?

The other scenario is at the back. If I’m not in a good position to smash down, do I try to mix up by playing a drop, or I focus on making a strong clear? This I don’t feel as frustrated as the “front” scenario as a strong clear have a good chance to maintain advantage or at least a neutral shot. But I’d like to hear how people choose their shots… Thanks~

2. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

at the front: it partly depends on your skill level and how high you can catch the shuttle. watch pro front players catch the shuttle early and play the shuttle back at the opponents. when the shuttle drops too far, there really is no other safe option but to lift. but if you find yourself lifting alot more than you like, a more appropriate question to ask is how did your team allow your opponents to put you in this predicament at the front. was it a bad drop, a loose net shot, poor quality shot...

at the back: there is a whole variety of attacking (or at least neutral) shots. power smash, half smash, stick smash, regular drop, slice drop (both directions), stop drop, punch clear...not to mention playing to various locations, at the body, away from the body, across the body, between the players, playing to disrupt the defense rhythm, to name a few. you ask a very general question. if you need something that applies to your playing specifically, a video would help.

#2 wannaplay, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I assume you are talking about doubles and not singles.

Why are you forced to take it below the tape? Are you standing in midcourt when you see your opponent(s) do a block or drop?
    When you do a warmup with someone next time, practice some net shots. You want to get the feel for them and become confident in doing them. The higher you can make contact with them, the better. But with practice you can still make good net shots when it is below the tape.
    During the practice, get used to taking the shuttle as high as possible, going backwards and forwards from the T line to near the net and most importantly have a loose grip. If you have a tense grip, then you will have less control and the shuttle will bounce higher than you need it to.

One tip I saw from bigminton's coach on youtube was to make contact with the shuttle on the far left or far right middle strings on the racquet, for when it's really low (bottom of the net). They called it a hairpin shot or something.

Again, it sounds like you are being late to the shuttle. Most footwork is splitstep, inbetween step(s), jump / lunge / turn body, perform shot, recover and anticipate the next shot.

I think we have the same playing style, I lift too much and am confident in my defence. Make sure your lifts are as near to the back line as possible and consider doing a block to the net if they smash at you. You can even have your racquet higher than the ground (near your shoulder or face) if you think they won't do a really steep smash and direct it to the net or cross court net.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

In addition to above comment, how was your lift quality?

If you had good placement lift, just hope the opponent bomber dont hav bull stamina to keep chasing the shuttle to smash it again & again. Also if you can lift a good high lift, unless the opponent could do jump smash, the falling shuttle are somewhat straight down which not optimal for power smash coz they hit from the side (hit the ball & the feather) so it would easier to defend.

5. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

Front court exchanges will depend on your racquet skills compared to the opponent front player.
    If he is better+ faster than you and already standing at short service line then you must lift but if he is further away then definitely try to play a good net hairpin drop etc.

Any lift which doesn't reach back gallery is not good quality.

Cheers.

6. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

i recall the OP ask a similar question, at least in content regarding the back court, couple of years ago. basically OP self described his game is quite effective in defense/counter but did not have very good technique for overhead strokes to initialise offense, asking if there are ways to make up for deficiencies. the advice given at the time was to improve overall overhead technique, should be the same advice now.