how to express feelings

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by kevinwzy, Jan 2, 2007.

1. kevinwzy

kevinwzy Regular Member

student
    HEY Everyone

what do you guys do when you frustrated in a game? like when you missed a easy bird, or it's match point and you are very nervous. i cant take pressures, when im very nervous most of the time i will make mistakes..and im looking for a word to yell when make a mistake to get the feeling out..

it's kinda stupid but i thnk it's important for me..thank you

2. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    From my years taekwondo training, I found that a shout or a cry ending with the vowel "a" works best. It works geat as a battlecry too.

What I'd do is take a few deep breath and shout it out before the start of the next serve. Its meant to sound as if: "Ok, enough of mistakes, come on~!". I find that it improves concentration and chases the butterflies away from the stomach. Makes you stay positive, rather than shaking your head and looking dreadful. You've already defeated yourself by then. I'm quite a noisy player I must say. Perhaps an influence from Cai and Fu?

What works? This does.

3. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I yell, a lot, but the more I yell and scream and get frustrated, ultimately, the worse I do.

The best players tend to be the 'stone-faced' players, because expressing your frustration only encourages your opponent to feel positively and thus play better.

It's very, very tough to get rid of nervousness. Usually, when I am angry or scared, I mentally reset the match to 0-0. Most of the time, it works, but not always. I wish I could help you more with this, but I'm still lookin gfor answers myself.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Seems yelling mostly doing negative impact on myself. My own "better" solution is to take a quick break, walk around a bit, and take a deep breath. Once frustrated, I think try to calm down is better than getting even more emotional.

Last thing, pretend an injury to quit the current losing game. :D :p :D

5. kevinwzy

kevinwzy Regular Member

student
    Thank you very much..i will remember all of them

6. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    Well well, one man's meat is another man's poison indeed. You'll have to try out what is suitable for you. Take it easy~!

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    man, I thought this was about expressing your feelings to girls wahaha, but anyway I get frustrated, I express in a really bad way, I totally put in no effort and play slack... maybe I have this weird attitude problem.
    I think taking a deep breathe helps, you need to catch your breathe anyway. But if you face your mistakes positively like "awww, its almost there I'll try again" it helps, cause frustration kills your confidence

8. kevinwzy

kevinwzy Regular Member

student
    lol...express to grils...thank you

9. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    I let go in a few ways, if I'm in singles I really don't care, if I'm in doubles I will do one of two things, Either jump in a circle to relieve all that extra energyh I get from my anger or I will yell at the net. Sometimes I flip my racket

10. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    heh yeah i thought it was about girls too. hmm wen i get really frustrated, i usually end up increasing my power and decreasin control, without knowin it. my trick is to completely clear my mind, not actually a trick but it does work sometimes. and yeah, shoutin does help. and take a break between each rally to get your nerves together.

11. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Tricks to stay cool!!

Hi Kevinwzy!

Well, it´s difficult sometimes to get so frustrated as you do. I´m quite an expressive player myself an offen shouts when I play.

Regarding your question I personally love playing against players who easily get angry at themselves as I always know when they are nervous. It tends to improve my game a lot. The other way around I sometimes find myself wondering if my opponent with a stoneface even care if he wins or loses.

The thing I´m trying to say is that you really should try to not show your opponent how you feel about your game in any situation. If that doesn´t work you could try to turn away from your opponent a make an angry face away from the court and when you turn around it´s out of your system and your opponent has more difficult time reading your thoughts. You should see badminton as a kind of pokergame or chessgame. If you can bluff your opponent to think you never get nervous you have won a lot even if your knees are shaking.

Another tip could be when you get nervous to think about a time when you had success. That could be when you won a game or championship last time or when you won tha last time eventhough you were deadnervous, anything. It will help you think you will get through it sometimes.

Instead of directing your attention so much toward your own nervousness you could try to focus on your opponent. He might be even more nervous than you and that could give you some strength to pull it to your advantage.

The thing is, if you show weakness your opponent will sense you are offbalance and capitalize on it. I´ve learned to do so by playing on top level for so many years, but it´s easy to do so.

Hope this will improve your mental skills. No matter try to learn from some of it and you´ll be stronger even if it didn´t work. You have experience and that´s what counts in the end.

Kind Regards

Jonas

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    coming from the former world champion JR, this is advice written in gold ink.

13. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Well, no problem! LOL!

HI Kwun!!

I´m just glad if I can pass on some of my knowledge!!

My pleasure.

JR

14. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Thanks JR. I din know that i should treat badminton like a pokergame. Will try to hide my nervousness in future.

15. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I am slowly trying to do that. Although I still occasionally say "AARGH" when I hit it out or make a mistake.

I love being stoned faced. Actually now I want to be stoned faced, but when I get some points I want to have a grin on my face.

16. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Thx for the advice JR!!

17. zerotec

zerotec New Member

Hide My Emotion Could Be Usefull ...i Will Tryyyy But It Will Be So Hard On Me :s