How to Defence when Shuttle Hit Straight at U??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sydney1128, Jan 3, 2005.

1. sydney1128

sydney1128 Regular Member

Thanks cappy75,

I'll bear in mind all this. Hope I can execute them well for tomoro games.... :crying:

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Blocking defence

Yes, learning how to drive a shuttle is a very valuable tool. However, as a beginner (way back when), I recall that I found it much easier to just block the shuttle back over the net rather than trying to drive or clear it. The blocking action would return the shuttle low to the smasher's forecourt area. The block would be something like a drop or a push shot rather than a drive.

This worked extremely well against other beginners & low intermediates who like to smash even tho' they were deep in the court playing singles. They would be forced to scramble to the front & lift (or drop) the bird back to me. If you get good at this block return, you will find that can tire out players who want to smash everything when playing singles. If they wise up to your tactic then they will only smash those shots that give them a clear advantage.

For smashes straight at you it is easier to take it with a backhand than with a forehand... any smash that it the left of your right armpit (assuming that you are a righty), is usually much easier to block, drive or clear with a backhand stroke rather than trying to run around it to hit the forehand.

But, by all means, continue to develop the drive to help you with your reflexes & your ability to relax under pressure. Experience (more court time) should help you to learn to relax. Perhaps cutting down on coffee or other caffeinated beverages (teas & soft drinks) will also help with the relaxation factor. Between points, try to focus on your breathing , repeat a mantra, or just think some calming thoughts to help you stay relaxed yet alert.

#22 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2005