How to Defence when Shuttle Hit Straight at U??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sydney1128, Jan 3, 2005.

1. sydney1128

sydney1128 Regular Member

Currently I have this problem. Whenever my opponent smash the shuttle at my body directly, I just can't defence it off although I can see the shuttle is not fast at all. :crying:

What's my problem? Is it my standing possible wrongly? I didn't move a step back but just trying to turn my body sideway and try to hit the shuttle back to him. So, please advise what's the best way to defence myself when such situation arise...

Thanks alot in advance :eek:

2. a3olus

a3olus Regular Member

Hey there,

perhaps your problems lies in the fact that your racket is not in position to defend. once your opponent is going to attack you (ex, u lift the shuttle, half court clearance etc), your racket position should be pointed forward at your opponent at waist height...that's kinda the best position for defence...

and also you said that the shuttle isn't even coming fast yet you fail to return it, perhaps you are too anxious at that point...just keep reminding yourself that you can return it...

your welcome (in advance);)

3. sydney1128

U'r right. I'm too anxious when come to play game. Still haven't control my clam & cool when playing games. I wonder how to stay cool when playing games.

Any suggestiones on how to stay calm & relax as well????

Thanks in advance..

4. a3olus

a3olus Regular Member

hmmm...how to stay calm n relaxed yet focused...well, i think peter gade once said that he prepares for his games by remembering what he loves about badminton...if he can convince himself in that way, then he knows he will play well...

i suppose its a matter of enjoying the game, no matter how competitive it is...once you have that in mind, you could challenge yourself to produce a better return...even a trick shot maybe...hahaa...

btw, u play in spore?

5. sydney1128

Yes, am playing in Singapore. Started seriously since Sept 2004. So just a few months old.

But maybe I take the game too seriously and hence not calm enough. I think partly I'm under pressure to perform as playing with those old uncles. If I dun play well, they dun want to either partner me or play against me. Many times I can see the shuttle speed is slow and yet sometimes either I miss it or play straight to the opponent.

I'm trying very hard to be more relax but I still can't when playing against better player. But surprisingly when play against about same standard opponents, I can in fact perform better and also have higher confident!!!

What's the psychological effect??? I mean why in this situations??

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you need to tell us what level of play you are at. without which, it would be difficult to give you any solid recommendation.

from your description, i can only guess that you are probably a beginner who is trying to get better at your skills.

if so, i suggest you practice how to drive a shuttle. to do that, stand around the mid-court between the net and the baseline, using only one side of the court, and hit the shuttle flat towards your partner. the shuttle should cross the net with only a foot or so to spare. and when the shuttle comes to you, it will be near your body around chest or waist height.

the driving action is somewhat similar to smash defense and if you can drive comfortably at a brisk pace, it will help your smash defence tremendously.

7. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Yes this is a good drill to do if you want to learn to defend against body smashes. A more intense one would be against the wall, start off further away from the wall, how you deem good length and start practicing. Try to whip the shuttle hard so you train your arm and wrist strength as well. You shouldn't hit the shuttle too high up the wall, net height would be best, its ok if you have to hit it lower and don't be flustered if you have to hit the shuttle much higher than net height, it happens. As you become better at this drill, try to move closer to the wall so that you have to react more quickly between each shot.

8. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Hi. I have been through what you are experiencing now and at one stage, I almost gave up badminton. I feel very pressurized when I play against better players and try to remind myself of the following:

1) During warm up, work out all of your strokes/footwork if time permits.

2) If your group do not stick to one particular brand of shuttle, you might need to adjust your strength according to the shuttle speed and the draft if any. The lighting of the courts plays a part too.

3) I play with different groups and enjoyed playing with partners who are willing to guide you along. If possible, get a stronger partner who can cover you especially on some days, you might be off form. Sometimes your partner sucks :). Partnered some uncles who always critisize my play and insist that I play to suit their game. During the game, just try to adapt fast otherwise your opponents will take advantage of the situation.

4) When I feel nervous and my heart is beating very fast, I hurry my shots and miss those easy kills. I walk around the court and take a few deep breath to calm myself down. This always work for me.

5) Build up your confidence in your techniques, strokes and gameplay. Easier said than done but try to read your opponent's game and not let the opponent control you.

Finally, just enjoy the game!

Cheers :D

9. sydney1128

Kwan,

U'r right. Am only 3months+ old in taking up badminton & hence still not experience enough yet.

Yup, I guess that drill is a good practise as it'll test my reflexes. I try to move around by taking a step forward or backward. It does help during practise!!! Still haven't enter game today, not sure whether is it helpful. Hope it does...

Iwan,

I've heard alot on wall practising but haven't seriously try out myself. I would say that should help improving my wrist power and ball control & reflexes to shuttle. Looks like I need to spend sometime doing it...

Sealman,

I practise some stroking today. Haven't got chance in game yet. But I tell myself to commit to lesser mistakes in my next game onwards!!! I still cannot read my opponent movement and games well yet. Plus my control isn't that good. But for now, my initial target is to get all my ball across the net successfully without any error!!! Best is to hit them to the base!!! I think by doing this I can gain my confidence and frustrated my opponents!!! Then after that I'll build on my control..... Hope I'm doing the right thing.

Any of u, please advise if I miss out any important things... or suggest what u think is best for my game in calming down, relax & enjoy my game at the same time with improvement from time to time!!! :p

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    When play against smashers , you need to relax but still keep alert. If once you RELAX , you will find that the shuttle is slower.
    Practice , ask someone to keep smashing at your body. Try different kind of defence and also use the tips that was given to you from our fellow forum members. All the best.

11. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

It depends where the shuttle is on court too (in general) when defending. For example, if the shuttle is lifted to the very back, then chances are a clear winner cannot be hit from there. Therefore normal defensive stance should be taken. If the shuttle is lifted shorter, chances are the shuttl can be hit down steeper, so the stance is different and the racket is lowered towards the floor. If driving, chances are the shuttle will come back head height, therefore a 'crouch' approch with the racket around head height (elbow up) will ensure that you dont get court out. No drive shot can pass the het at a steep angle.

The main thing is to keep your racket infront of you, with your elbow out and racket around chest height (when crouched), this should combat the problem as the shuttle is taken infront of you.

12. fan

fan Regular Member

Be prepared.
    Good, proper postures and hold racquet in proper position, somewhere in front of you chin/chest, will help.

Ah …….. Found it, nice preparation. :)

Attached Files:

#12 fan, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Wow! That's quite a shocker seeing this pic again in a different context:eek:. Obviously, that was a preparation for a service return... a bad one at that as I wasn't leaning forward and low enough:p. A drive to either side would have put me in trouble.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Hummmm, I see vast improvement between now and then. Good work Cappy75!

15. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I set up somewhat the same, but if the teams we're against plays aggressive with their return of serve, I tend to "dig in" which a lower stance, braced to cut off a dump shot.

As for defense, most people realize quickly that I tend to favor a low stance, with my raquet well out in front ( to cut down the angle) and favouring a backhand grip. I find this way I can defend my body and take the bird higher with more control. In some rallies I can virtually "smash a smash".

As a guy who relies on his smash :)rolleyes: ) I tend to watch how the person on the other side defends. if they are low and down with their raquet I go chest hunting. I they defend with a racquet high I try for more angle or cross courts. I feel that people do better when defending with the racquet up as there more tendency to return flat/drive, where the low postions lends to more lifts and allows me to "reload".

16. fan

fan Regular Member

Yeah, it is better the heels are not touching the floor. ;)

There is one more thing interesting about this pic- the way he was holding the shuttle. I always pinch the tip of the feather serving short serves. What is your preference?

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Same as you, fan. Pinching it. Can't really trust my fingers and timing in times of pressure, so I was going through different ways of service before. Now, I just try to serve like Ha Tai Kwon... just taking my time and focus on the net tape and the receiver's stance.

18. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I tend to hold the base of shuttles as I seem to have more control and accuracy on my flick serves. Whenever I held by the feathers I tended to hit my fingers.:confused:

19. sydney1128

Very interesting holding method. Is it weird although it gives much stablity holding the shuttle then maybe shaking it sometime....

Hiaz.... I still face the same problem when ppl smashing directly at me... Haizz..... I need to be more alert & flexible...

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Just remember to keep your racquet infront of you at chest level. That way, your racquet is at 'base' position in relation to your whole body... equidistant to almost all body parts exposed to the shuttle. Keep the racquet extended as far as it's comfortable to hold. Some players basically point the racquet at the source of the attack, giving them lots of room for backswing.

Also, crouching down (with heels off the floor) would also limit the body areas subjected to attack, not to mention priming (or preloading) your leg muscles for swift acceleration to different directions. Don't worry about defending high and fast smashes if you're near the rearcourt, chances are they're going out.

Try to work on your legs and positioning more, emphasis on moving to the shot than reaching for the shot. There's a reason why players should be relax when executing shots, you won't have much options if you reach out too much.