How to become a Coach?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Jansenkzh, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

What are the requirements to become a good coach? To be able to lead and teach and improve students skills and correct thier faults. Need many advises. :D

2. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

here in canada there a program to become coach i had t level 1 course last week end, it was a intro for all sport, we learned 3 thing how to deal with ethics problem, how to build a solid training session, and the nutrition.

The badminton specific program explain the technique or how to explain, and the rules. I don't think i need this course but i'll take it cause i need it to get my coach license

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. How bout being approachable? Not too authoritive, be more accomodating to students. Being encouraging also. Try to be well organised also. Lets say you have 2 hours 2 sessions a week. Plan what you want to do and stick to it. Monitor progress of your students individually, make it exciting not boring.

String racquets for them?? lol. Don't know bout that but it might be a possibility ;)

Just my 0.5 cents on it..

blindly must not the students be taught....

4. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Here's what I think: You must know your theory well and be able to impart them to your students so that they understand why they must do what you tell them to do. Your superiority as a player also plays a big role in convincing your students that they should learn from you.

Your skill to identify your student's weakness and give them the appropriate training to cover it up will show how good of a coach you are by the end. Same thing with strength, your ability to further improve your student's strength will show how good a coach you are.

5. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

The main point is to get all skills and tricks right, and teach them to the students rite?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you want to be a coach, you should go on a course organised by your national badminton association, and gain a qualification.

You may learn a lot from this course, both in terms of how to teach, and improving your own techniques. Some of the things that you think you know about badminton are probably wrong.

Of course, you don't have to follow your national association coaching recommendations exactly. For example, the BAofE (now "Badminton England") taught me to use a backhand grip for backhand drives. I think this is wrong, so I don't teach it to my students.

But you need to consider the recommendations of your national association. If you don't attend a course, you may just be ignorant of some knowledge required to be a good coach.

7. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Good Suggestion and thanks for the advise.