How much is the difference between men and women players?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SSSSNT, Dec 15, 2017.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That depends of the culture too. I can guarantee you in France, minus a a few exceptions, not much male players will feel like that. If they do they still live in a cave.

Heer and phihag like this.
  2. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Exa
    Exactly , those who think girls are inferior and weak takes a defeat from them very huimilating and intolerable . But those who do not think so takes it either as an ordinary defeat which can be against anyone or a lesson to improve .

LenaicM likes this.
  3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

TAI Tzu Ying vs CHOU Tien Chen

wjsutanto and Asmo like this.
  4. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    Here we can clearly see the big difference in speed between CTC and TTY (Both currently rank 2nd in the world). CTC is not even serious on this match, and you can see that he's toying with TTY.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  5. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think, that nobody will ever disagree, that when you compare the best of the bests, that in sports where you need a lot of explosiveness/power, that men will have a biological advantage over women. There are studies which observed, that men who weight the same as women, have almost double power in the upper body and almost 50% more power in the lower body. Additional men are often bigger than women resulting in even more powergeneration which does not depends on bodyweight (e.g. swinging the racket vs moving around, the latter depends a lot more on the bodyweight).

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Here we can clearly see that this isn't a match it is a training routine. You will discover that CTC plays the same randomized pattern to train TTY. You will also discover that this is a routine due the fact that regardless who makes the point, the shuttle is not returned to the winner of the rally.

I don't disagree on the fact that a top tier male player will outplay a female top tier player. I disagree here that this an example which shows that.

Everybody who lurks at international events will know that most players have a training schedule on match days. TTY don't seem in good shape based on the knee taping. Also the time is unknown. If the slot of training is before or after a game can have influence. Also what type of opponent you faced can matter the performance.

I wouldn't judge this based on a training example. Who had serious training will know that for such situations there is always a feeder and the exerciser and the exerciser will always have the difficult task with many situations of pressure. IMO under this circumstances it is not a fair comparison, which we can clearly see and know.

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The question is why a female stay and play in an enviroment where she get regular with weak male opponents on court? And also getting on court with weak opponents regular instead of serious opponents speaks more about the person who get on this court instead of the others who are "weak". And refusing to play can have many, many reasons which have nothing to do with gender or skill.

8. Swas44

Swas44 Regular Member

I remember Saina Nehwal mentioning in an interview last year that she wouldn't even be able to score 6 points of Parupalli Kashyap in a match as Men's singles is very difficult.

I also recall reading a few years back, Vimal Kumar(Saina's ex coach) mentioning that Lakshya Sen, India's junior male shuttler sparrs against Saina in training and has even won a couple of matches off her.

9. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

why is this even a question? ofc theres a difference lol. Speed, power, agility, and ultimately entertainment value. I'd watch mens doubles all day but fall asleep 10 points in womens double

10. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

We might have a proper answer to this one thanks to TTY.

TTY played a formal match against Lin Chia-Hsuan who is currently ranked around 1000th in men's singles but has reached as high as 120th in early 2018. TTY was given 8 points advantage at the beginning of every set. She won in three sets but it was a pretty even match with the advantage she was given.

This is against a guy who is ranked 1000th and doesn't play international tournaments anymore. In his last international tournament, he was ranked around 500th.

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Post it on twitter and you will get a shitstorm from feminists how you can dare...trust me. ;)

12. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

These must be the same people who said transgenders should be allowed in women's sports...just no common sense. o_O

13. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

The match between TTY and LCH is interesting as you can cleary see the difference in strength. LCH seems to be roughly as tall as TTY, but he was consistently be able to pull off hard jump smashes from the backline even in the last round. Although he was able to quickly reach lot of shots from TTY.

To be fair, it is a lot harder to play vs someone who is suddenly able to pull off shots your common opponents are not able to do all the time, so TTY has a clear disadvantage at this point. From the look I would guess, that women singles are slower paced and a lot more tactical, but what do not work as soon as your opponent is powerful enough to speed over the court all time.

Eventually the match seemed well balanced in this setup and fun to watch, the players seemed to have fun too, so take a look yourself:

14. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    Gosh, even LCH who is ranked 1000th has so much skills, power and speed. Not enough credit is given to him. When I was watching, I got the feel that he's not even 100% serious in this match. Please take note that there's -8 handicap, so he needs to get 29 points per game in order to win. That's a serious handicap against no. 1 player in the world (Even if she's a female player). I noticed that during the 2nd game that LCH got serious and pulled out some hard jump smashes that's hard to return for TTY, hence he won the 2nd game. I got the impression that the coach deliberately instructed LCH to take this game to the decider in order to train TTY.

Regardless I'm also seriously impressed by TTY skills and fitness, she was able to match LCH for fair amount of time. Also, this game is very beneficial to TTY, since she is preparing for the upcoming competitions and Olympic.

ucantseeme likes this.
  15. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Here's an interesting video that illustrate the main difference between men vs women in badminton. Women just doesn't have the power to close rallies. Even with squash rackets the men easily took the women's smashes/drives. However, when you take away the men's ability to close rallies (they can't smash/drive well with squash rackets), things become a lot more equal.

akatsuki2104 and wjsutanto like this.
  16. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    This is exactly what's happening in my country too. When some amateur players are going on a serious match against expert (could be ex-national or club) players, the expert players usually use squash racket as a form of handicap. Squash racket makes it hard to do smash, slice and net shots, but decent enough for lob, drive and defend shots.

17. Schopenhauer

Schopenhauer Regular Member

Peter Gade vs Michelle Li

What do u think?