How many of you are planning to travel to Rio for the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by anthony_6, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry I can't help but say this, Hey, we're talking about a blanket ban of an entire nation, a collective punishment. Shouldn't WADA be going after the guilty ones and, just as importantly, protect the clean athletes ?

How many other nations have a history of doping athletes and in what sports over the years ? I'm sure many famous names come to mind.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

4. Swedebadminton

Swedebadminton Regular Member

"(What's wrong with Putin, what do you know about him ?"
    Are you kidding me?
    Gay rights, political oppression, military aggression (not respecting other countries borders, Ukraine etc.), just to name a few.
    Written by justin in another thread:

" Why only cite the reports or news articles from a particular country's main stream media? How fair, objective and impartial are they ?"
    Justin if you suggest rt then i will laugh.

5. Swedebadminton

And by the way thats another thing putin is doing, controlling the media through state censorship.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I feel sorry for you.

7. Swedebadminton

then maybe, if you cant bring a substantial argument there is no point in discussing this.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I thought I should be saying this to you. Nothing personal. The substance of the argument is first to get the facts right or we'll be going nowhere, an exercise in futility.

My grave concern is if you suddenly wake up one day and find to your horror US-led NATO has started WW3 with Russia, don't blame anyone, it's too late even to pray.

My utmost wish is for world peace and stability but the most pressing issues today are climate warming, terrorism in every form, and the threat of a nuclear holocaust leading to the extinction of the human race.

Anyway, we're way off topic and this isn't the right forum for it.

9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Justin If you like Putin, then don't be upset if you think along his speeches.

As for politics into sports, you put it in

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The issue is not about sportspersons using illegal substance, this happened a lot and will happen again, new cases were just found from 2008 and 2012, but that the sport governing bodies, and the State, pushing for and covering up doping.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Either you misunderstood, misinterpreted, got confused about my stand (perhaps, I didn't make myself very clear) or you're trying to lay a trap for me. I shan't fall for your tricks (said tongue-in-cheek).:p:D

Me dragging politics into sport in this case ? I can't believe you're standing me on my head ! Either you don't know what you're saying or you accused me wrongly. Please stop being so personal with me,it's not about me, it's about whether a blanket ban punishing not only the guilty ones based on concrete evidence, if any, but also the many athletes who are clean, innocent, never been tested positive anywhere and whose sports do not benefit from PED. I repeat, it's WADA's utmost and bounden duty to punished the guilty ones and, just as importantly, protect the clean athletes without discrimination.

Nevertheless, I have to admit it'd be naive of me to think politics can be kept out entirely from anything in life, from human affairs, for as Aristotle insisted man is by nature a political animal because he is a social creature with the power of speech and moral reasoning.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd wait for all the facts to be known and the case proved beyond reasonable doubt before jumping into any conclusion (which the mainstream media is often guilty of). It's advisable not to take things at face value.

Until now, we are still not very clear who are involved, what really happened, how and to what extent, etc. To quote Mark Twain , " Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."

OK, enough for me. As of now, IOC has decided against a blanket ban but with certain conditions. Let's see how it goes though the damage to Team Russia is already done.

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree we don't - I certainly don't - know all the facts, but what Wada has been saying is not that athletes are guilty of doping, but that the Russian State is guilty of it. That is why we should not talk of "blanket punishment", but for a single punishment for the organisation guilty of promoting doping.
    But anyway the Olympic Committee had decided not to go along the agency's recommendation.