How many of you are planning to travel to Rio for the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by anthony_6, Jan 8, 2016.

1. anthony_6

anthony_6 Regular Member

I've been thinking about going to the olympics this year and tried searching for air tickets. If you're located in USA and could depart from miami to rio it will cost around 550usd for a return ticket. i think it's pretty affordable and i also tried searching tickets to the badminton games and it starts at 90usd and up to 130usd for the later dates. Who knows if we could form a group and get some discounts on tickets.

2. reyevil

reyevil Regular Member

DPT Student
    Oh I would LOVE to. It seems tickets aren't available for badminton. Are they already sold out or just not available? where did you see the pricing?

3. anthony_6

anthony_6 Regular Member

i googled it and saw the price on a pretty legit looking website but yes the ticket have not been released to be sold to public yet. i guess we'll still have to wait till the official release. i dont think there's gonna be a huge crowd fighting for badminton tickets in rio though...

4. 124windsor

124windsor Regular Member

badminton coach
    Don't bet on it. The players relatives, going to fetch them up in advance. I tried to apply for a linesman position, and in last year October they were all filled

5. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

I have tickets for 2 games and may not go:( Anyone else have any luck with reasonable hotel and flight from North America?

6. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Also, bidding for tickets started last summer, 2015 for all events. Cosport is the vendor for North America.

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Any concern with Zika....

8. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Anybody else going? Just me and Michelle Li. Lol:)

9. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    Zika and violence there so not worth of a risk to go there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not only Zika virus, but a few cases of H1N1 erupting. And not only that, heard that a few facilities will only be completed and ready just days or weeks before the sports events. What with the political climate there, the sham impeachment of President Rousseff complicating matters. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-07-08/rio-2016--will-brazil-be-ready

I just hope, come Tokyo 2020, the Fukushima nuclear disaster doesn't suddenly act up and spiral out of control, Heaven forbid, for as some say, there's a lot we still don't know. I understand Japan's successful bid for the Tokyo Olympics is to allay that fear but the last thing we want is a cover-up of the real extent of the damage and what might go terribly wrong. Pray, no, for the sake of the Japanese people, not only the world's Olympians and visiting spectators.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Let's not be alarmist. I'm very sure IOC will not want Rio OG to fail as it affects not only Brazil. The least we could do is not to make it worse, avoid spreading unfounded rumours.

12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Im not going, I think Rio is not so safe and it is too far away.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sadly, the Russians are out of the Rio Olympics thanks to the mixing of politics and sports serving a particular nation's political agenda.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

70% own fault + 30% politics (even more..)

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Save your money. My colleague went to London OLY to see soccer, I recalled he said he spent CAD10K, and that was bunking in bed and breakfast accommodation, not hotel-motel thingie.
    Now with Zika, Brazilian Police openly saying security is not safe, ridiculous cost for entry and so on, stay home and watched on tele.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

For 10K, I can get a 75 inch 4K TV to watch in the comfort of my home and still have leftover for beer and pizza...

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid the fault is not well established, if you read the whole story carefully from all sides/views/arguments and without any preconceived notions. It goes against the spirit of Olympism of non-discrimination based on nationality and political ideology, Courbetin would turn in his grave. It's largely politically motivated, unprecedented, a blanket ban that not only punished the few who might be guilty (based on concrete evidence which however it's still not available, and the so-called eyewitness is dubious) but all the innocent athletes who are supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, not the other way round, that is,presumed guilty until proven innocent. Atrocious.

Who knows, if things go to such a woeful extent , there might be just another Olympic body set up by, say, Russia and China, and let's see who in the rest of the world would choose which body to join. World sports is no longer immune to political agendas, very sad, indeed.

18. Swedebadminton

Swedebadminton Regular Member

Russia have a state sponsored program for doping, i agree there is nothing good about this situation but this cannot be tolerated in sport and i think the only way is too ban russia completely.

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

You speak like Putin

Swedebadminton likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're preposterous, that's a gratuitous criticism, an ad hominem attack. (What's wrong with Putin, what do you know about him ? Don't give me the standard answer as what's normally reported in the so-called free press, the main stream media in the West. So you're saying Putin is the real target?)

And who are you speaking for or like ? Ridiculous. Anyway,I don't wish to be drawn into such senseless argument. I'm only for cleanliness in sport, fairness, justice, and the Olympic spirit, leaving politics out of it. Let global sport unite the world for all humanity. Enough said.

#20 Justin L, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016