How long do your strings last?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ttktom, Oct 15, 2003.

?

how long does your string last you?

1. less than 2 weeks.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 2 weeks - 1 month

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. 1-2 months

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. 2-3 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. 3-6 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. more than 6 months

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I play both :p

2. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Been trying to wreck a bg66um I had strung since 6-7 months ago at 25lbs... can't break, won't break, been trying to give it everything so I can change to another string.

So far I have broken 0 Yonex strings and I cut all of them... Zymax I broke once in 2 lobs from a fresh restring so I suspect its a bad job done by the stringer since its only 2 lobs...

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    To me bg 66 ultimax feels very dead so quickly, I love the crispness and sound you get from bg 80 :3 I have bg 80 sky blue strung @ 28 lbs mostly feather :3

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Do you play two rallies per week? :confused: It's amazing that you can make BG66UM last that long. At 22 pounds it lasted me less than four months, I believe.

5. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I play 2-3 times per week, per session 2 hours. I tend to like smashing so these past weeks whenever I'm using this racquet with the 66um I tend to give it my all in downwards play... and the strings move about sometimes and all that's needed is a re-adjustment back to center. The only gripe I have is that at net area I have lesser control and a slight tap wrongly will drive the bird out. Happened twice to me so far.

I rotate my racquets but been giving the 66um prime time these days (because of experimenting towel grip in a Korean style, now back to my version of LCW wrapping) and been sticking to it throughout. Still won't break. I only managed to make them (Yonex strings) "dead" by losing tension far too much, can't make them break.... :( I'm starting to doubt myself and my technique even... been doing all sorts of funny things like slicing as well, and as I type now, still intact.

I took it to a stringer 2 weeks ago and he suggested to continue with it for a while, he used a ERT 300 meter and still found the sweet spot to have around 39-42 dynamic tension. By comparison my NR800 with BG80 freshly strung at 26lbs prestretch gives a readout of 50 DT. It was around 25 DT on BG80P before restringing. So yup, he only restrung my NR800.
    [MENTION=108967]Exert[/MENTION]: yeah seems the BG80 is louder than BG80P.. I changed it after it got too soggy/jelly at the bed. Liking the rough texture though. LOL.

6. esppy

esppy Regular Member

If it helps... here's a picture with flash for current state of string:

P1050486.jpg

7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Are the readings reliable though? It's a tennis device and quite often it is unable to detect tennis tensions when they drop too low - badminton would be even lower wouldn't it?

8. esppy

esppy Regular Member

No idea frankly... When he whipped it out I'm like whoa... Hahaha

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

10. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Update: Friend broke my 66um string while playing. So, still 0 casualty for me as far as Yonex is concerned.
    His ARC7 string broke in the bag, so I lent the T300 to him and promptly broke it too. Hahaha.

11. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

It sounds like he has a string breaking problem, lol. How does he do it?

12. esppy

esppy Regular Member

No idea, dawg! (pssst.. is that how you roll over there? Hahaha)

His ARC7 on NBG98 @ 24lbs broke while it was in his bag, so yep.
    As for the Ultimax breaking, it was on the middle of the stringbed, and if memory serves me right he was going for a clear rather than smash. Then *tsk* the sound of abnormality. LOL.

13. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

My lining N50 strung with BG66UM at 27Lbs broke in half upon smashing (no clash, no mishits)... it was after 2 months being strung.

With BG66UM, the fastest it snapped was after 7 session of game (about 4 weeks), longest was 2.5 months before snap.

14. Eskoo

Eskoo Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I have a question for people who string rackets. I have our club's stringing machine and have been stringing rackets couple years now. I mainly use one string technique, starting with vertical strings and after that I do the lower horizontal stringing tie it, and then the middle and upper horizontal strings (and tie it and finish the stringing).

This technique has been very good in overall if we consider the time the strings last in average. But one of our player is giving rackets me to string quite often and we have been thinking together what is the matter that strings get broken all the time (e.g. last weekend in competition he broke three strings and two of them were not more than one week old). He has quite a lot power in his shots and he hits his smash with little cut usually. And yes; more or less every time when the string gets broken, it is due to bad hit either on sides of the strings or top of the strings.

Could there be anyway some other stringing technique that I could try to make them endure better the 'bad hits'. Normally I put 11kg for him and I know that it is a good tension for him but now we've been thinking to reduce the tension to 10kg. But I'm pretty sure that it wont change the situation.. If there is some other stringing technique I should try for him, please let me know.

EDIT: I use usually Victor VS 850 and / or Yonex BG 80 for him.

Thanks in advance!

15. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Eskoo, BG80/VS850 @ ~24lbs shouldn't be too fragile. It shouldn't break that easily. They must be really terrible mishits. What rackets does he use?

16. Eskoo

Eskoo Regular Member

Student
    Victor total inside wave slim.

17. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

BG 85 at 24lbs = 3 hours
    BG80 at 24 lbs= 1 month
    ZM 65 at 25 lbs = 1 - 2 months

18. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I'm not a hard hitter so I don't break them often but I change mine due to loss of tension every 2-3 months. I string my own rackets so its easy and not very costly ;)

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

19. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Bg 65 to get used to it

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Or he should train his strokes and footwork better so that he doesn't mishit so often. 24lbs with those strings will last a long time without mishits.