How long can the shuttle stay on the stringbed?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by SSSSNT, Jul 13, 2019.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Once in a while when we play recreationally, the shuttle seemed to stay on the stringbed for a much longer time than usual when hit. It doesn't feel like you're hitting the shuttle, more like you're pushing it. The opponent would then call fault and everyone would generally agree. But what is the rule regarding this?

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Law §13.3.6:
    There is no fixed limit for the time – thankfully so, as that would be impossible to evaluate for an umpire, especially at lower-level tournaments where there is shuttle tracking or video replay. I'd guess it's about a second of shuttle contact after which I'd call a fault.

As usual, per ITTO §7.6, if there is any doubt, the rally goes on and no fault is called.

Fortunately, this fault is rather rare – in all the matches I've umpired, I've only called it once, although I vividly remember a time when I probably should have called a fault.

SSSSNT likes this.
  3. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Much longer than usual does not make the hit a fault.

Recall the action of returning the shuttle to opponent court after loosing a rally - you scoop it, or some similar action. This is the catching action of the shuttle, and if something similar is done during a rally, it will be a fault. Is this the much longer time than usual in your situation?

The law states that catching and holding a shuttle and then slinging will be a fault. That your opponent calls the longer than usual a fault and everyone agrees in your recreational games is the best thing. Keep at it, this is a good group.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

I remember for a while FHF's serve almost seemed like it was slung over the net.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

Who is FHF? Note to self - learn initials of players from database.

And will you have a clip or timestamp in an online video?

#5 whatsthecallUmp, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Fu Haifeng I assume.

7. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

That name would fit the initials. Thanks.

Many Indonesia players have names such as Ronald Ronald, or a single name, Hendrawan comes to mind. And there is now a change in the way the names show on player jerseys. PV Sindhu, to quote one instance.

Do we, here in BC, have the player initials database?

8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Not a database, but I tried to maintain a list in this post. May be out of date though. FHF is listed though.

9. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

It is best to use the name of player, or at least define the initials when first used in a thread. This is a regular, and normal, convention in most articles, reports around the world. For instance:

Badminton Central (BC) is the world's best resource of all things badminton. The current membership of BC is 9^9^9 and increasing every day. People come to BC for many reasons. The most viewed thread is the Lets vote for the New or Old points system in the Rules / Tournament Regulations / Officiating (R/TR/C) sub-forum.