home court advantage

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open 2011' started by 2cents, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    In the semifinal match of China open at Shanghai, China, between Lin Dan and Lee CW, 1st game, when LD lead 19-17. Suddenly, all audience chanted "Lee Chong Wei, Jia You", it's so dominant in the stadium supporing LCW instead of LD, and booing LD. This made LD somewhat upset. He said after, that at that moment, he was suddenly reminded that the same atmosphere when he played in Malaysia and Indonesia. LD confused, when he played in Malaysia and Indonesia, he had to face all kinds of adversities and mistreatment made by local Malaysians and Indonesians. He never heard anyone there cheering for him at all. All he got in Malaysia and Indonesia were the troubles, adversities, mistreatments made by local people and audiences. How come he received the same when he playing at his own country.

Affected by that disturbance, LD lost 4 points in a row, from leading 19-17, to losing the 1st game 19-21.

Audiences support players for all kinds of reasons. Not all Chinese people support Chinese badminton players. When you choose the best 4 players, they should select the real best 4: that's LCW, LD, CL and CJ. But they didn't, they choose LD, LCW, PG and TH. Chinese obviously not select players based on their own nationality, instead they choose against their own nationality.

No wonder Lin Dan said after the China open that he prefer playing in Japan better than in Shanghai China because he got more fair treatment in Japan.

When I watched tennis matches before in the US, they were American citizen Michael Chang against European players, it's dominant in the audience support European players, not their own country man Michael Chang. But when Michael Chang played in Japan, almost all the audience in Japan all-hearted supporting Michael Chang no matter whom he played against.

It seems that all people in Malaysia and Indonesia are patriots and nationalists. All the audience inside the whole stadium are crazy about their local players, and at the same time, making all troubles possible to other players. This is just the on court observation, I know, there are lots of people in Malaysia and Indonesia who support other players from ohter countries, but their voices cannot be heard inside the stadium.

Any observations for European audience towards European players? I don't know much about that, Thanks for your comments if you have any.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the only thing i can say is
    there is a lotSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of lin dan fans in malaysia(include my ex gf)
    dont made any conclusion since u didnt saw and heard with ur own eyes

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Take note that Msian fans also boo Msia players, esp when they are losing/trailing. In fact, Msian players have to face all sorts of 'boos' from the local fans, until scold the player's mother also got. I call it home ground dis-advantage, and has been discussed many times. Remember Fairuz during 2010 TC when Fuzzy pair lost to Japan? KKK/TBH got thrown with mineral water bottles in Johor Bahru after they lost to LYD/JJS. The local crowd generally dont support KKK/TBH when they are trailing. China fans I observe is more supportive, keep shouting 'Jia You' to China players, even when trailing by 5 to 6 points.

LCW is one of the few spared,that's mainly cos he wins the most titles among the current Msian players.

#3 eaglehelang, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    It makes no sense

you talked about LD didn't get home ground advantage, and then you try to attack Malaysian and Indonesian fans

one real question for you, are you trolling right now?

5. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

The fans were just trying to prevent a total collapse of LCW to get their money worth. They over did it.

If this were the Olympics, I think even the Shanghai fans would rather see a total domination of LD over LCW than a tight match.

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. Please note it's not my intention to conclude where the fans are better. Actually according to LD, Chinese fans are NOT as good as other fans in supporting locals. It's just different style of fans, how did you drew your conclusion some were better others. My friends, the world is not just good and bad, black or white. The world is full color, they are all good. Actually, like beauty is in the eye of beholder, if you want to find out, all the people are good people. For those who always claim others bad, I would say you are too lazy to find the goodness of others.

Thanks again everyone for your commenting no matter what kind of argyle you have, your reply always valuable to me

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Since I use swype to type and post from my cell phone, there were many typos in all my previous posts, sorry about that

8. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Well, if that did throw him off, it only gave LD more motivation to pound LCW in the second and third set which he did... I do agree with the previous poster about the crowd probably wanting their money's worth and don't want LD to sweep LCW aside and overdid it...

9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    2 cents is the troll.......in Indonesia open...there is no boos for Lin Dan....but more on Malaysia players....2 cents, I hope this is the last time you attack any INA fans or players and you declare you are neutral and not die hard CHN fans..Moderators....please kindly ask 2 cents not to post any negatives ....

#9 huangkwokhau, Nov 27, 2011
  10. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

To be honest, I don't think the reason is that they lost and LCW got spared because he is winning a lot. The reason player got booed at is because of their attitude. You can see from LCW that he is serious and work hard on each point. That's why he didn't get booed even if he lost (or sometimes lost badly) because everyone knows he has try his best. On the other hand, if you look at KKK/TBH, they show a 'don't-care attitude' when they are trailing and couldn't be bothered. They don't work hard in rallies and just keep clearing the shuttles like an exhibition match. That's why they get booed.

11. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Good point, but I can only partially agree.

First of all, I understand fans, but players don't have any obligation to win for the fans. some fans can't fulfill their own dreams, so they depend on players to fulfill their fantasy. So they became angry easily once players delivered under their expectation.

Second, who surfers the most from the loss? Fans? Of course not, it's the player himself. But all players don't want to show their weak side, so when they lose, they want to hide their sadness, they want to show they don't care, our they didn't play seriously. That's all fans see and get angry about.

Wang YH lost the first game, and trailing far behind in the second, so she just made several suicide shots to put the end of the match. After the match, she behaved like she didn't care. But after she returned back to her own dorm alone, she cried seven days for the loss.

As fans, we should ask often, what I can do for the players I like, Please don't ask what the players can do for you.

12. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

I said Malaysian and Indonesian people are patriots, where are the negatives? Only the negative people see things all negative.

13. choonie

choonie Regular Member

Graduate Scientist
    When you see too many CHN vs CHN matches in one tournament/one day, you will be starting to looking forward to see some tight matches.
    Fans from other countries do not do that because they have no many players of their countries' survive in the later stages of tournaments.

14. lucida

lucida Regular Member

Student
    LCW supporters are common in China. Normally LD won't care. But for that match it seems some spector tried to interfere with or maybe insult him, which caused him upset.
    You have to know it's common sense that some Chinese people just hate Chinese people - they hate people only because they are Chinese, no matter what they do, and they hate themselves to be Chinese. And of course we have just enough LD haters here in China.

#14 lucida, Nov 27, 2011
  15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

This is strange. I thought fans always say CHN players have great mental strength. LD getting disturbed by crowd getting behind LCW and losing 4 points in a row? Where s the purported mental strength of his? So the crowd support must have swung back to him in G2 and G3 then. That s why they scheduled his match to get maximum support from the after work crowd? That s why crowd support is particularly important to CHN players. Why, the CHN team are even trained to cheer for their comrades. This happened in TC. No worries. CHN team will always have some loud 'Jia Yu' anywhere and at the right time when they need it. In Spore Open, there s even a CHN cheer team planted in the players section. How the organizers allowed that sort of nonsense is beyond me. Maybe they let Li Ning call the shots.You should come to MAS and INA Open sometime. LD s fans are quite loud over here. It s just that LD cannot accept that some CHN fans prefer LCW to him. That s not patriotism, is it?

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

But why should there be LD haters among mainland Chinese?

17. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    (1) "it's common sense that some Chinese people just hate Chinese people"
    Since you said SOME, it's hard to argue, jealousy lives everywhere esp. among the losers :D furthermore *some* is qualitative, very loose, technically it can't be wronged to name any quantity more than two as some. :p

(2) "they hate people only because they are Chinese, no matter what they do"
    this is the very 1st time i ever read such tendentious remark! You alleged that some Chinese people hate their fellow countrymen just because they are Chinese! Amazing to learn!

(3) Oops! A very BOLD statement of yours "and they hate themselves to be Chinese"
    so what these so-called self-haters wanna be? a non-yellow? becoming Swiss people??? Or Icelanders? :p please tell us

(4) "And of course we have just enough LD haters here in China."
    may you pls tell us why these many ("just enough") Chinese people hate their own motherland's shiniest badminton star?

Since your location indicates Shanghai, China, it seems to give you 'more weight' in your bold remarks here.

18. lucida

lucida Regular Member

Student
    (1) "Some" here should be very large. 1%, I think.
    (2) If you are a jobless guy who hates the government but cannot vote or go on a mini parade, and every day you walk on the street seeing only people, people and people and knowing the fact there are 1.4 billion people in the country, you may think it's the people here that caused your misery.
    (3) They want to be USA citizens, that's so easy to understand.
    (4) They hate the government and they think LD represents the government, not them. They think the Chinese badminton team is "a waste of taxpayers' money", so they hate LD.

#18 lucida, Nov 27, 2011
  19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

my main point is the attitude of the fans. As already discussed many times, other countries fans dont boo their country's players(as far as I've observed), even when their players trailing far behind or playing badly. they keep cheering till the very last point. Look at uber cup 2010 ina vs china match as one of the examples.for msia, if leading only they cheer, if trailing, no support. It same for all,from back up to elite. If bad luck get expressive so called fans, will get lots of verbal abuse,throw stuff at the players, just havent scold until grandfather grandmother, lol.

#19 eaglehelang, Nov 27, 2011
  20. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    (1) be careful, 1% of 1,340,000,000 is 13,400,000 (or 14 millions if i use your figure)... that's a huge number! any link to attest your statement?

(2) well, we can just ignore the jobless folks or any other desperados...they may simply hate everything and everyone incl their own parents and very existences into this world amidst their ordeals

(3) If you state this info 5 years ago, a while before the 2008 GFC, readers may still buy into it. Nowadays only cavemen still think it's a heaven! Needless to say, for some high achievers, everywhere is cool for they bring along plenty of cash with them.

(4) Those people, if any, just hate everything...from the failed soccer team, Beijing Olympics, Shanghai World Expo, high-speed rail to China's space programs and so on...keep on thinking why govt "wastes" the money i/o handing out freely to them.

My other common senses, there are always some perverts in society regardless how strict they are, some losers in a nation regardless how progressive they are as a unity... or generally speaking, in whatsoever quality or trait, there's always an exceptionalness.