hey its korrinne

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by korrinne price, Dec 28, 2003.

1. korrinne price

korrinne price Regular Member

chef and badminton coach
    Ive played badminton for as long as i can remember.
    I love playing badminton and am now coaching.
    I play in the Open grade and have won many national titles, i would love to hear from any one and every one who wants to bounce ideas off each other.:D
    In New Zealand we are abit behind the rest of the world so please dont be shy.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Korrine,
    Welcome to the Forum. We used to have a regular poster from N. Zealand (Adelina) who competes regular in National events too. She hasn't posted for quite a while.

It would be great to hear more about experiences of playing badminton in NZ.

3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Hi there Korrinne. Welcome to BF! :)

4. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

badminton/volleyball promoter
    Nice to see another coach here. Do you coach kids, adults, or both? I coach kids and give pointers to adults when they ask. I am level 2 certified by National Coaching Certification Program, working on level 3 soon...they go up to level 5. Are there any criteria over there to become a coach?

5. korrinne price

chef and badminton coach
    reply to panhandle

I coach mainly kids we have5 levels here as well. When i used to play i was an Open player how ever when i started coaching it was a whole new game. What do you think?
    I find adults the hardest to give pointers. What bout you?

6. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

I am kind of used to coaching as I've coached volleyball. Just started coaching badminton last year, so coaching isn't anything new.

Kids are harder to teach because their attention span is small and can't remember that much, so only teach them one or two things at a time, plus their motor skills aren't fully tuned.

Adults, I find easier to teach. They are more keen on learning where kids just want to play. Some adults just can't change their bad habits.

7. korrinne price

chef and badminton coach
    reply to panhandle

I am only 20 and I find that the adult dont really want to listen to me because Im so much younger than them.
    The kids that I coach are under 14 and they have poor attention spans but I love watching their excitiment on the court.
    What was it like coaching volley ball? Why did you change to badminton?
    Do you play other sports?Or coach other sports?

8. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

If you beat the adults in a game or make them look silly, then they will probably think differently. Most of the adults are older than me too, but they know my level of play and credentials, so I don't have any problems.

Coaching vball is fun, I can do more drills as there's more players on the team. I still coach both sports. I just stick to those two sports because administering and organizing takes up a lot of time!!!

9. korrinne price

chef and badminton coach
    reply to panhandle

I enjoy playing with the adults and have so many good games but even through they know my level of play they still dont listen to me. I mean some of them do but alot of the 45 - 60 year olds just ignore me, when I try and give them help.
    Do you have any suggestions to help me to communicate with the older generation?
    It is very enjoyable having someone to talk to about these things.I have to thank you for talking to me for badminton is a big part of my life.
    Thanks panhandle.:)

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: reply to panhandle

There are some pretty ignorant people out there, even though they know you're better, they will not take your advice, so what I do is, unless you know them really well, like buddy to buddy, otherwise, dont offer help unless they seek it. Some of the more arrogant people will just see it as you trying to show off or put them down, and simply ignore you or tell you to bugger off. A peice of mind ;)

11. Winex West Can

Hi Tech

As you are officially the coach, I would think re-arranging the sessions so that each of the folks are grouped accordingly (e.g. by weaknesses) and have them work with each other on drills to improve.

I am making an assumption here that these are the folks who paid to get coached. If that doesn't work, remind them why they are there!

Communication is a big part of coaching (and so is respect) which goes both ways.

12. korrinne price

chef and badminton coach
    winex west can

thanks i argee totally how ever i love coaching and yes i do get paid for it but i never ever want it to come down to the money. I have started to coach people that can not afford to pay and the excitiment on their face is priceless.
    I love playing badminton and because badminton isnt reckonised that much in nz i hope that me helping the younger ones out will see the raise in badminton numbers here.
    The adults I really find hard to deal with even through we are friends buddy buddy I find that they ask me questions but really dont want answers/ advice/help.
    I hope one day i will get the respect that i need to help them.:)

13. viver

viver Regular Member

I am also in the opinion that adults are harder to coach. You mentioned that your age is 20 and the adults you coach are older. My suggestion is first to try to find out their interest/motivation. Once the answers are found you may adopt a suitable strategy.

Kids are wonderful to coach. Nothing beats that feeling when you see that you added another youngster to the group of badminton fanatics. :D I coached kids before and can only say that feeling is fantastic.

All the best to you and keep it going! :D

14. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

Some of the older players are old school and don't like younger people teaching the new, improved ways.

Can you give some examples of things you've tried to teach with them ignoring you?

Maybe they lost their hearing? Or their brain waves have slowed down to process info?

As for JChen99's comment about giving advice, I agree to only give to those that ask.

15. korrinne price

chef and badminton coach
    reply to panhandle

One way is when we are playing mixec doubles the older man is like "Ok Korrinne, you stay at the front NO MATTER WHAT DONT COME BACK stay in front of the white line" And then he will do a cross court drop that is real high and I step back to defend and he will be like "Korrinne if you stayed in front of the white line like I told you to you would have got that"
    So then I try to explain to him why I stepped back and hes like WHATEVER and still tells me to stay in front of the line. Then he just gets annoyed.
    I honestey find it so hard ith the adults because I think that they think I know nothing.
    :confused:

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Korrinne,

First of all, welcome to BC/BF/BR! As for that older guy who partnered with you on that particular game, you could just ignore him and rely on your better sense. If he pressed for answers, just tell him that you don't trust him:D. Matter of factly indicate to him to keep his shots low and proper if he wants to keep in that formation. Don't do any explanation or discussion while in the midst of a game, it's a waste of time. No point getting worked up over him:).

It's quite challenging for younger people to teach older folks because the idea of 'older age= more experience' is ingrained in society, especially with the older generations. It's simply hard for most to accept instruction from persons they perceived lack the 'authority'.

#16 cappy75, Jan 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  17. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Sounded to me that the situation that you are in is that the folks (esp. the older men) are quite ingrained in their habits. It is said that Mixed doubles is Men Singles with an obstacle at the net.

I would suggest that a general session on Mixed doubles, Level doubles tactics and formation be held with them to highlight certain areas for improvement.

When I was coaching, the older adults have no problems as they paid to learn and improve on certain areas of their game. But definitely for sure, when I am playing, I get people (from all levels) telling me what to do, where to stand, etc. (actually, this happens only at one place on a certain night) and you got to love some of the advice given, like 'make sure you hit it over and inside the court' as if I was deliberately hitting it out. :D :D

18. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor

Some people will never have the chance to play up front the ENTIRE game in their life, so they would not appreciate the "hard work" it is to prevent yourself from being nailed in the face when the person in the back makes a bad shot. If you could somehow get the person you were playing with to play up front for an entire game, I believe his views in "stay at the front NO MATTER WHAT DONT COME BACK" will DEFINATELY change (unless his partner in the back is super good and can place all shots to precision)
    Personally I was taught that in mixed the girl will always hover up front no matter what, but after playing for a few years now I actually encourage girls to step back one or two steps (or whatever they're comfortable with) when their partner lifts.
    Another trend I notice is that people who are not open to good advice are usually ignorant people who dont play as well (figures since they dont take advice) in which case just try avoid playing with them (saves yourself from a few headshots if and when they play badly XD)

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

This is quite true.

Many club lvl players think themselves (most guys) just way superior than others. Once they won several games, they think the entire gym should follow their lead. Of course, a lot of their suggestions are right, but not all the time. Once there's a debate regarding to stroke / strategy, they absolutely show no respect, and just say, "hey, I am better (really?), and I am sure about it. You can't be as good as me, just because u question about my 'advice' too much, etc"

Personally, I feel quite hard to deal with ppl who just refuse to listen (regardless how good he could be). Therefore, I try not to involve with any discussion with such personnel at the first place.

20. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Everytime I partner somebody, whether a guy or girl, we usually work out a system where the serving person usually stands in front and the receiver stands behind. This way, it's fair to both players, both get an equal amount of time in front and back. Some players, as some of you might say girls, are not so good as covering the behind, but might PREFER being behind. So this way it's fair, I've partnered much weaker players than myself and I've let them cover the back too. After all, badminton is a game to be enjoyed, standing in a position one doesn't like all the time won't help him/her like the game.