Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good feedback thank you

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Are you the best player in every (selective) club you play at?!

3. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

Hell no . I used to live in US, but now Im living in Thailand. There are badminton clubs probably on every street in BKK. Unlike, in the US since its not that much
    popular there. However, I heard it started to gain the popularity.

Simeon likes this.
  4. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

In addition, I dont know if you could throw a football, but I believe you could.Its the same motion as throwing a football. With your build (you are very in good shape and has plenty of power)you should start trying to clear without using the whole body. If your hitting technique (including grip, finger, contact point, position) is correct ,clearing baseline to baseline would be effortless. Then when your hitting technique is smooth, you add the kinetic chain ( from leg, throwing hip forward). Your stroke should be beautifully completed. Non racket arm is important, but let it go naturally. Otherwise, you will have one more thing to worry about. Focus on foot position and throwing hip forward then your left arm should be pulled naturally (like when we try to throw something as hard as we could , Chest will be opened, non dominant arm will be pulled back)

Mason likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for these points, the funny thing is I was never good at throwing a football…. I always played receiver. I have built up a lot of strength over the years but my throwing technique has never been good in any sport haha
    I’m a work in progress lol

Zalmon likes this.
  6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I finally was able to figure out what was wrong with my grip and because of that I felt very confident and my overhead strokes and also my backhand. I now can focus on cleaning up my left arm and get better body rotation. But I was able to hit almost all of my overhead strokes without slicing. I am very excited about this as it’s been a huge handicap both mentally and physically in the game

7. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

At this point, you should feel like you are able to place the shuttle any place you wanted since you are no longer slicing it anymore. You would feel like sometime you dont need to “brutally” hitting anymore. You could place any shot in any place just a flick of your fingers. Your skill and gameplay would sky rocket to another level. Have fun.

Mason likes this.
  8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

i left like i had much better control of my overhead shot placements yesterday

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I’ve been making slow and steady progress over the last month or so.

Cheung likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I played very good , my shot selection was much better and I was able to utilize some good drops to set up better positions for my team. My serve was once again solid with me holding the grip higher up. Towards the end my left arm Flared less and I was able to get more rotation in my lower and upper body

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I feel like I made some good progress since this last video. Footwork was better , including my recovery footwork and I was way more relaxed.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just concentrating on the first two overheads in your video.

The first one starting off at 00.00, you jump outwards, play the overhead and land in the tramlines with both feet landing on the floor at the same time. The landing is totally correct.

00.15 - you wait, jump up, smash the shuttle, rotate the body and both feet landing almost simultaneously on the floor. The landing is very awkward. Here, you have to land the left foot first, and then the right foot.

Mason likes this.
  13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the feedback. I have been trying to practice my footwork a bit more and being more fluid and relaxed which I think will help with that awkward landings

14. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Don't forget to split step too !

15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes that is a key area I need to work on

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I finally got a little shuttle launcher. It’s not the best but it will do.

many input here on my basic stroke/footwork would be helpful. It tried to focus on
    -more relaxed grip
    - better left arm movement
    - leg leg getting back further on scissor

17. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

what a cutie, your daughter. and the trees are gorgeous.

the form seems okay, could be more relaxed and higher contact point . there is still a fair bit of wrist flexion at the end of the stroke that should not be there, especially during practice, not even for drop shots, certainly not in a power strokes. here was another thread on here about using less shoulder here https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-use-less-shoulder.189695/ . pay a bit more attention to your wrist and forearm.

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thanks for the feedback, I have a hard to putting less wrist and proper movement into application when hitting the shuttle.
    So are you saying I should be practicing like what’s in this video?

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The rhythm of the movement is ok. Nice work on that.

I like the left leg going back more. It definitely looks more natural and more balanced compared to your match videos. Your recovery is more balanced - if you can do this in games, you will find reacting to the next shot much easier.

Try doing the same movements A) faster doing shadowing without a shuttle. B) Also to groove that rhythm better, shadow a different stroke first e.g. lunge to front corner or side lunge, recover, and then do that movement.

Need to elaborate a bit more on @wannaplay ‘s point with the linked video in that thread. Before you hit the shuttle, your racquet face is already flat on to the shuttle early in your swing - too early. The racquet head needs to be turning from facing in (left) to turning outwards just as it hits the shuttle and then the racquet face will turn outwards on the initial follow through. . I find using the fingers as well as turning the shoulder forearm helps a huge amount.

If you are able to make this turning of the racquet face work, sometimes people find they still have a slight inward slice on the shuttle. Slightly adjusting the hit to be marginally on the left side of shuttle will help correct this.

Mason and wannaplay like this.
  20. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

more like food for thought. i like the video because she shows very clearly the articulations of the joints and movement involved focusing on the arm and wrist. @Cheung has pretty much unpacked that video for you. spend some time to ponder it, compare it to how you use your arm.