Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Made some improvements in my scissor along with my backhand shots , drives defense and net play. Also I am doing a better job at pushing out in the mid courts and intercepting mid court shots.

I still need to be more relaxed but I’m making some improvement. I even had a jump drop shot at the end :)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would say that scissor kick is much much better. The whole stroke looks much more coordinated and relaxed. Do you feel you are getting the same amount of power into the shuttle.

One small point is when landing the left foot on the scissor kick, turn it outwards a bit more.

Mason likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I can’t tell if I’m getting more power or not. I’m swinging more effortlessly though

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Played a second time this week. I am clearly getting much better. I havnt played with some of these people in a while and I’m clearly surpassing them in skill. Badminton insight has helped me a lot over the last month or so. Not pulling my left arm down too early was a huge cue for me that allows me to get more body rotation and make my smashes and drops look more similar.
    So I have more power and deception :cool:

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  5. vntmzn

vntmzn Regular Member

watched your first and last videos, that's a really really huge improvement

Mason likes this.
  6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you :)

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow, impressive! What's improved the most is your footwork to get yourself under the bird in time so that your stroke can do its thing. Next thing to work on is where to aim your smash.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Hahahaha yes ! That is the feedback Badminton insight gave me too !

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Great! I'll promptly send over a PayPal link so that you can also tip me for the advice...

But seriously, your feet are much lighter and efficient now. Good job!

Mason likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you

11. vntmzn

vntmzn Regular Member

btw, you can get more improvement by adjusting your grip during forehand and backhand

Mason likes this.
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Haven’t posted in a while
    I played very good last night!
    Defense was much better too

vntmzn, viver and badmintonpog1 like this.
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Mixing it up nicely with some fake smash drops.

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes thank you. I’m trying to get better on those !

15. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

You improved your smashing skills, they are a lot better now. I would sugguest to focus on your smash placement. In your last video you almost always smash directly to one of your opponents, making it a lot easier for them to defend. Try to place the smash between them when they are both in a defensive position.

Mason likes this.
  16. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

looking at your strokes, you can still use much cleaner overhead shots, less arm-y (shoulder), more lower arm power. combining a natural throwing motion with racket in hand takes a bit of getting used to. you can practice with or without the legs. also having invested so much time on overheads, your other strokes are falling behind - drives, drive defense, lifts, nets...drives and drive defense are particularly useful playing doubles.

you can practice your drives against a wall. find yourself a nonstick framed, non drywall, non prefab metal wall, ideally a masonry or concrete wall and practice your drives, use a neutral grip and stand around 6 ft. from the wall. keep elbows away from body, and the stroke should resemble a Nike tick mark. probably find videos on youtube.

Mason and visor like this.
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I need to work on all of those things
    Thank you

18. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

one more reason to practice the drive defense shot (mostly backhand, since it has greater area of coverage), that you might find enticing, is that, mirrorred at the line drawn by the shoulders, (ie with your arms up), that is your overhead forehand shot, minus the body rotation.

Mason likes this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I try practice as much as I can right before the game as a warmup. What you mentioned above is an interesting thought

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Once again my main thing I continue to have to keep in mind is being relaxed. My overall stroke was much better today because I was more relaxed. I have much improvement with to make though with being more relaxed. As I watched my footage I have some glaring weakness in my game that was exposed by the people I played with: 1.) my rear court forehand side shot selection. Far too often my shot selection in this part of the court allowed the opponents to lift to my backhand side and I was getting to the second shot late …. Perhaps I have to do more drives from the forehand side or clears ? 2.)my footwork. Biggest weakness was my backhand side rear court. I’m split stepping in the wrong direction. Chasse step- I’m not using chasse steps and reverting to an awkward partial cross over step when moving backward. I also need to work in being more stable in my lunge 3.) hitting the shuttle late intentionally - I have noticed I have a bad habit , especially on retrieving net shots and drops. Many times I can get there early and hit over the tape , but I end of delaying and waiting for it to drop low. Just a bad habit 4.) after a shot out of a corner I have to get back to the middle. Especially in the rear court , I need to hit and move as opposed to hit and wait.