Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Ah, I see. Personally, I really like the Nike Training Club workouts with Kirsty Godso. It's paywalled content (about $15 a month), but I really do enjoy the workouts and have found that they have helped a lot with badminton. I try to really focus on form and stability during the workouts, and I think it has translated over onto the court. Just something to try in lieu of shadow footwork, or if you get bored and want something new

Maybe there is something better or just as good for free on Youtube, but I haven't tried looking.

Edit: Actually they should be free.

#1101 asadafgs, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What’s happening is that he is planting his lunge first, then playing the stroke. Should aim to hit the shuttle at the same time as the foot landing on the lunge. He will get a higher contact point if he keeps this in mind for strokes that need lunges

Mason likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I might need to put up some reminder signs in my garage on all of those points

4. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Nice improvement !! Just be careful when you lunge forward to point your foot in the same direction of the movement !

Mason likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok yes I have been trying to work on that point too

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

For some of the overheads, you are getting quite a nice ‘hang’ in the air and also playing drops with those. Shows you are getting pretty confident.

To refine the recovery after an overhead stroke (with body rotation), you may now want to concentrate on your landing. At the moment, when you land, your left toe points to the net.

Here are some good examples of Axelsen in slow motion around 1.40. Watch his left toe land with the foot turned slightly outwards. That helps stability and pushing off back to the centre.

So, make a conscious effort to extend that left leg behind you more often and land with the foot turned outwards (aim for about 45 degree outwards) just before you place the right foot down on the ground. I suspect doing that may help reduce the flatfootedness of your landing - after landing, at the moment, you haven’t kept your calves and leg muscles activated - we can clearly see a lot of weight going down on the heels.

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I can work on the landing for my recovery . In my training I try to drive my left leg back on scissor jumps

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Now you have to do it more clearly during matchplay.

What you do in practice doesn’t look like it’s translating well on to court matches.

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I agree with you here . Maybe I need to train at a higher intensity to simulate a game situation?

10. CarrotLegs

CarrotLegs Regular Member

Your most recent video shows alot of improvement! I think you look much more stable now. I actually can't believe how much better you improved from the previous videos. Though I think this is something more similar to a good play montage :)

Some things i noticed was that sometimes if a clear is close to your backhand, you'll take it with ur backhand like at 2:19. Though the weird thing is that if its really far away, I do see that you properly move and set up for a forehand hit which is really really good.

At 3:33, you kind of rushed the shot and I think a more powerful shot could be made if you stomped/planted ur right foot and hit a bit top right of your head at the same time. The trick for me when I make that shot is I make sure my elbow is far from my armpit so I have the room to generate a power swing. The arm should look kind of like __| <--- not exactly this angle but a bit adjusted depending on height and timing. Though I guess it could be personal preference if you want to jump and hit like that... but I think there are some problems with recovering for the next shot if you jump like that even if you have a slightly steeper angle on your shot.

Also for doubles especially, you want to recover after your attacking shots like others have said. Against good opponents you'll need to chain smash or you'll have to move quickly to receive the next shot in time so that you don't have to lift or clear. At 4:22 you did a smash but your second one was kind of rushed like you weren't expecting the bird to come back to you.

I just feel like your double foot hop smashes aren't better than your single foot step smashes. Compare 3:57, 4:05, almost everywhere in the video, to 5:57, 8:05, 8:52. When you have both feet on the ground in the latter smashes, your recovery is much smoother and faster with your weight being in a good place if you want to follow up in a forward motion. Now this is different from 4:34 where you kind of hop to get in a better position in time to smash (if you kind of bent your body back and released it like bow it would've looked super pro and nice though haha) and the hops back to attack flick serves. I feel like your hops aren't really jumps and all it does is rob you of stability and power generation. Advanced players do the jumps because they can generate power using their torso like a bow and the kick from their feet.

I don't think you need to train at a higher intensity but maybe do drills with a partner, making the same shots for muscle memory? Other things you can do is reflect on your form from your videos and compare it to others like that Axelson video and think about what you might need to change or why others move that way. Getting better from games is possible but its usually in terms of strategy. Personally, if I try to improve my technique by playing games, I'll usually focus on one or two things (like serve returns or footwork in a certain direction/situation) and let everything else be natural.

#1111 CarrotLegs, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Mason likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

One shuttle routine, you hit to trainer, trainer hits the shuttle to a couple of different areas first to move you around and then hits to make you do the overhead.

Each time you do the overhead, you pay a little more attention to your left leg on landing. Keep going for twenty shuttles. Rest, then repeat. Trainer can slowly increase intensity, drop back speed, but each time after an overhead is played, then you need to flash check your left leg to make sure it stuck back far enough, foot turned slightly outwards on landing.

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok , I’ll try my best. Thank you

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is great feedback, I am way more comfortable jumping off one leg. Growing up I played a lot of basketball where I jumped a lot off of 2 legs and when I did layups I would jump off my left leg being right handed. So my right leg lacks strength and coordination. but I agree that my one leg smashes look the same or better than my two footer jumps

But I also do want to get good at a two legged jumps smash.
    I appreciate all of the great feedback that you gave and like you I try to thinking about one main thing during a game to be better and then in training try my best to work on one or two things at a time
    Unfortunately most of my training had to be done with shadow work at home because court time is limited which means almost no time for in court training :(

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was able to play fairly well today. I felt like i had a better racket starting position for my overheard and I was able to move around the court fairly quickly. My serves and service returns have been great. I did some shuttle training to work on getting my left leg back on the scissor movement and it had some carry over to my games I still need to work on my defense though.

15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was able to do some training and had shuttles lifted to me to work on my scissor. What do you think?

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Those look really nice scissor kicks for going backwards into the left rear corner. You have the left toe pointing outwards a bit better giving you better stability.

You can compare the last video to the one on the post before where you are playing the game. You might be able to tell in the game situation, the footwork for the scissor kick doesn’t look as balanced.

For the training video, be a bit careful when you are positioned in the centre of court across the midline - around 3.10-3.40. Can you see after hitting the shuttle, when you land , it’s pretty heavy and both feet land simultaneously? Try to keep that left leg landing fractionally earlier like a modified scissor kick, try not to have the knee totally fully extended (saves knee stress and helps preload).

The ones where you jump out to the right don’t rotate require landing with both feet.

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thanks for the feedback . I need to do a lot more training to make it muscle memory

18. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You actually did a scissor and landed back foot then front foot, in your very first video , in your first post in this thread, in the first 10 seconds of the video. (though there the landing had a different issue), but it was an absolutely superb attempt given that you were starting out.

Mason likes this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did around an hour of training and then an hour of doubles games and one single game. I was still moving around the court pretty good. I have to work on relaxing my grip more and im still working on my scissor. My front to rear court footwork needs a lot of improvement as well as my forehand side rear court footwork