Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

so you did it with the ear buds in this time

sounds like you found it good without the ear buds then?

so again, this suggests it was good without ear buds then

but what you wrote suggests to me that what you just tried.. (with ear buds) was less good than what you normally try.

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Looking at 8:16 and at 8:40-8:45 and 8:50-5:57 Your arm movement is *way* too big in the follow through. From that near the net, you should hit those chest level shots with a short sharp movement. Your far too long follow through is taking your racket all the way down and making you not so ready for the next shot. If your opponent had driven it back hard as a return, he'd have won the point and your racket would not even have been up.

3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I was already made aware of that by the person training me and also Cheung. My footwork is the first problem I’m trying to fix

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

generally footwork is a good thing to work on first.. but something as simple as shortening a stroke is so easy to fix, compared to footwork.

also, sometimes footwork has to be the priority because if you are not in the right place to hit the shuttle then whatever you do with your stroke, your stroke wont' be good or will be messed up in order to correct for mistakes in footwork..so sometimes you need correct footwork to have a correct stroke, so as to be there for the stroke. But for this particular shot, you are already there you are in the right place, you just need to shorten your stroke. Really that particular correction re stroke is something you could potentially learn if you focus on it for 5 minutes then you'll get it right a few times straight away. Focussing on footwork is extremely important.. but IMO no need to postpone this little thing of shortening the stroke for that shot. You'll be focussing on footwork for a long time(understatement 'cos probably at all levels). .

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Had a great badminton night yesterday
    I played very well during my doubles games and felt like I was just a little bit quicker and more relaxed. I still have an issue of having my left foot really far forward when I’m waiting for the opponents shot and this hurts me a lot especially when I have to deal with a smash. I’m hoping my continued split step work with help with this problem

I also played 4 games of singles in which I got destroyed. 21-11, 21-11, 21-13 - and 21-8
    I realized on my singles games that I end up going to far forward after I play a rear court shot and then I get beat when my opponent hits to the rear again. I was pretty much spent when I played the singles games which definitely played a role in my loss :rolleyes:

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    At least you are getting fitter by playing singles.

in your doubles, you should be thinking of other aspects of your overhead.

A) your dropshot is played with a much slower arm speed- too slow.

B) your recovery footwork after hitting the shuttle is variable. To get better mobility to the next shot, after landing, bounce on the next step to where ever you intend to move to.

Mason likes this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good suggestions , my drop shot needs work. Thank you:cool:

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

One of my doubles games from last session

Any thoughts would be appreciated

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

#929 Mason, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Had a good night in badminton. . I was able to do 20 Minutes or footwork Drills before the games. My footwork was much faster and better especially on the drop, net lift drill and the smash , net , lift drill. I also could tell that my footwork was better because my last two games of the night were singles games and I didn’t really get beat because of my footwork. I was able to get to just about every shot. Also during the doubles games I was able to move faster.
    I did however have a good amount of problems with my clears, especially in singles. Many of them went wide or long. I think I know what the issues is , i was
    inadvertently changing my grip away from a proper overhead grip which was causing my to hit....

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Did an hour of practice today plus 3 games of singles.
    I finally, for the first time, beat this particular person in singles in game 2 . Slowing improving

#931 Mason, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Smashes from 0-2:15
    Drops from 2:15-2:39
    Game shots from 2:39-end

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Once again played only singles today , three games worth. My footwork is getting better. My sparring partner even made a comment about it. I started with 20 minutes of pure footwork drills, focusing on the split step then 6 corner work focusing on fluid footwork and then a little bit of drop, net, left footwork.
    After my partner came we did lots of clears to start then drops, then we played a singles game. After that we did doubles drive practice and then a second singles game. After the second singles game we did some smashes and doubles defense practice. Then we played our third game. After the third game I wanted to try smashes at 100% intensity. For almost a year i have not tried to smash with 100% intensity as I was focusing on form. I thought I was ready to use 100% but clearly I am not. My footwork and stroke isn’t good enough to use all that effort yet. You will notice at the end of the video the smashes and how my form wasn’t the best . So lesson learned , I still need to keep my intensity at 75-85% on smashes until I get better form. Another lesson is learned is how tiring I got got smashes at 100%. I would get maybe 8 smashes and tire out. But if I stay at 75-85% which is what I normally smash at , then I can pretty much stay at that intensity level during a whole doubles game without getting winded.

14. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

The most important thing you need to fix right now is your footwork for lunging to the net. You are planting your racket foot sideways on lunges on both the forehand and backhand sides. You need to point your toe towards the point you will hit the shuttle (face your foot in the direction you lunge basically) as you land on your heel when lunging.

If you land as you are doing, with your foot at an angle, you will get injured much more easily as you risk rolling your ankle, also it's much less efficient in recovery/returning from a lunge.

So try force yourself to point your toe towards the shuttle and always land on your heel first. Fix that immediately as it's one of the fundamentals of net play.

This video demonstrates how to lunge at the net, you should watch it :)

#934 seanc6441, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes everyone tells me that I need to fix this and I am trying to. I do as much practice as I can with this but In games I revert back to old habits.
    I’ll keep working at this :)
    Thank you for the feedback

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Generally a good improvement but still some rough edges to trim.

I know you like to concentrate on the smash so here we have a few things to increase the effectiveness of your smash without needing it to make it more powerful.

A) when raising the racquet to prepare, try to have it a bit more behind your head. This will help disguise the shot better

B) dropshot quality. When you swing the racquet upwards, you pronate the racquet head far too early. Your racquet head is face on to the shuttle too early and the opponent can see it coming.

Try to pronate the racquet head at the very last instant before striking the shuttle just like you do for your smashes.

C) dropshot quality: your follow through after a dropshot frequently has your elbow kept high and to the right of your body in an effort to control the shuttle. It especially happens after moving to the right side of the court.

Try to have the arm come down and across your body more naturally as some people can adjust their movement to your drop according to the follow through.

D) your overhead quality seriously decreases when you move diagonally to the right rear court. I would advise spending quite a lot of time on this with getting the footwork movement and especially the landing correct. Partly because of the risk of injury to yourself and secondly to improve your recovery to get to the next shot.

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is great information!!
    Regarding your last part on moving diagonally to the rear right corner , are you referring to me when I china jump or when I scissor or both ?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Both

19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did some practice today on smashes drops and drives. Did some actual drills for side to side defense and also smash recovery work. Then played doubles games with players who are at a higher skill level than me so it pushed me to play better and faster. Still have a lot of work to do !

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are some of the drills I did Sunday morning

Cheung likes this.