Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the feedback
    I had a few practice strokes not included in this video where I was able to reach higher for the shuttle and it looked decent
    I have a bad habit of allowing the shuttle to drop too low when I hit it

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Some serious progress imo! Keep it up!

Mason likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I appreciate the kind words !

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are my shots from yesterday. After all of the games i was able to practice for around 45 minutes on my defensive lifts and also on my drops

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are some of my drops in practice

6. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Overall I think better footwork preparation to get behind the shuttle is what stands out most, letting you behind the shuttle and get a good shot. How many times have you hit your partner's head in the red shirt on a smash? He puts his racket behind his head almost every time he's in the front and you're smashing in the back LOL!

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes my footwork is an issue, I’ve been working on that at home as much as I can. I’ve never hit my partner in the back of the head !!
    :p

8. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Whoops, sorry I think I worded my post vaguely. I meant to say that your footwork in preparation for the shot has GOTTEN better since your previous videos. And well, hitting your partner in the back of the head, it will happen eventually. I wonder if that particular person has had a bad experience in the past =P.

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Hahaha, well I’m happy that progress is seen! I will continue to work on it though !

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are some smashes I did in practice ...
    I feel like there has been much improvement from even a couple months ago

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I had a great night. I played 4 singles games to start and then non stop doubles games. I was able to play with the top 3 players at this club for two games which was very fun and also helped me to play at a higher level. Tuesdays are always lower body weight training for me, so having that fatigue along with a very long night of singles and doubles badminton I feel like i played very well considering.
    I have been trying to have my clears,drops and smashes all be pretty much the same stroke which is think i was able to do.
    Here are my shots are in reverse order fromm the end of the night to he beginning.

I was also able to do a considerable amount of practice shots. Here are some drops, drives and smashes. This was the first time that i tried to use the same stroke on my smashes as i do with other shots, i attempted more pronation. Smashes start at 1:35 of the videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQoQDQXFgzk

Any feedback of course would be appreciated.

Once edited i will post the two games that i played with the top 3 players at this club.

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are the two games that I played with the top 3 regular players at our club.

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I think you are improving nicely. Your movement is slowly getting better and your drop shots are much better. You are also starting to make use of a more articulated "stick smash" type motion on occasion, where you use primarily the forearm and wrist, without much follow through.

If I were your coach, I would say your smash has been getting worse for the last few videos as I feel your grip is too far towards panhandle. You are obviously doing pretty well with it, but I don't think its as good as it was a few weeks ago. I reckon if you improve the grip once more, you will have more power available to you, and the possibility of hitting a more elegant overhead with a higher and hence more threatening contact point.

Good luck!

Mason likes this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

My advice: Spend as much time as possible on court with those three. This will boost your overall game more and more sustainably than another 500 posts in here. Also, try to get some singles matches going with them. They will wipe the court with you in the beginning if they go all-in, but this will force you to improve your court coverage, footwork and everything that goes along with it automatically. Just compare your movement and posture in those two clips to the previous ones. Like night and day.

Regarding your smash technique, there is one thing that I still really dislike and which has been discussed a couple of times already - that weird side-to-side oscillation motion when you try to do a scissor kick (watch the legs):

upload_2019-3-1_7-40-49.png . upload_2019-3-1_7-41-23.png upload_2019-3-1_7-43-7.png

It gets worse the harder you try to force a hard stroke. You do not generate any momentum or power in direction of the stroke with that and you end up in a bad position to initiate any follow-up movement towards the net. I won't comment on any other aspect of the overhead movement since you have the real BC-experts already around to take care of that way better than I could.

Watching the latest couple of clips, I get the impression that maybe you are forcing it a bit too much and with that, you lose the lightness that is needed. Looking at that first screenshot, I can almost see your white knuckles from squeezing the handle. Try to loosen up a bit and maybe think about reducing the frequency of your video documentaion. IMO it's very, very hard to spot real progress if you don't give yourself a bit of time to internalise some things in between. With the level you have reached now, the learning curve will inevitably get less steep and level out compared to the very beginning.

DarkHiatus and Mason like this.
  15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn’t noticed my grip changing to panhandle on the smashed. I will work on that !! Thanks again

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Those is all good stuff. I have been trying to work on my scissor kick more in practice while smashing but I’m not consistent enough for it to carry over into games. Staying loose like you mentioned I think is a problem too.

I wish I could play with those guys all the time but it just doesn’t happen. I did play a couple games with a better player than me in singles and he whooped me 21-3 and then 21-6.....

Overall I really enjoy recording my games and watching how I can improve. And although it’s hard to see improvement week to week , sometimes I can go back from even 2-3 weeks ago and see improvement.

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Just to be clear - I wouldn't conclude your grip is now a panhandle, but in my view it is getting too close towards a panhandle away from the correct grip. The grip really changes the arm mechanics and creates a stroke that has a very different shape.

Mason likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok that’s for clearifying !

19. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Totally agree with you. Try to train on more footwork since most of the time you didnt have enough time to get in position.

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

After watching many of my shots from last night I’ve started to revert back to closer to panhandle so I need to make a conscience effort to fix that on a Wednesday. I’m still working on my footwork as much as I can at home to try to get behind the shuttle better. My last game of the night I payed a singles game with a player who is much better than me and lost 21-5. Hahaha but I feel playing singles helps my footwork for doubles