Help with Beginner/Soon to be Stringer

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Solarris, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Having had the PP3600 for over 3 years (and still do) I'd say get something else.
    It's not bad, but you'll want to upgrade the side supports and clamps pretty quickly, and at ~£40 and ~£80 respectively, you might as well have bought a better machine in the first place, which would also come with better clamp bases. Something like a Superstringer T20/70 or S90 (if badminton only). Yes it's more expensive, but definitely worth the extra.

Super85 and ucantseeme like this.
  2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I second this. Nowadays there are with Super Stringer much better machines in terms of clamps and clamp bases as default out there. To get equal mechanics you need to add ~200€. The PS was a good buy a few years back, but now there are much better options. I bought my PS3600 around 5 years back and the clamps and base are a real downside. I upgraded it, but nowadays I would buy a complete machine. Less expensive and you don't have spare parts you never use again or can't sell.

Super85 likes this.
  3. Badtech

Badtech New Member

Sorry, this is completey wrong. Different factories and big big difference of the Quality. If some machines look a Little bit like others (copied) that does not mean that it is the same factory and Quality! Pro´s Pro for example is siboasi and Alpha AEF Factory

4. J Reid

J Reid New Member

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought the machine anyway. Being a beginner stringer I figure I'd buy the badminton clamps as and add-on right off the bat and would manage without noticing much of a difference.

Over all the machine is decent quality as it is relatively easy to use, with fairly accurate string tensions but you were correct about the side beds (as I think those are designed to tennis/squash). I'll need to upgrade those eventually as they can get in the way of the grommets.

5. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Make sure you're using the correct side of the supports. The sharper pointy side IS supposed to be used for tennis. The smaller rounded side is to be used for badminton. I made that mistake when I started using it.

J Reid likes this.
  6. J Reid

J Reid New Member

Oops. I find it more difficult to to use the rounded sides. I'll give it another shot though.

Thanks for your help. Stringing is starting to actually to fun now that I know what I'm doing.

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Did you find a machine? Maybe ask your parents if they might think about investing in a part time job for yourself? You sound very enthusiastic about stringing, you either love it or hate it, you are sounding like you might love it. If you can invest in a better machine, you will enjoy stringing. If you have a machine hard to work with you will not enjoy it. I have been lucky enough to work on the best machines and I love to string. Don't limit yourself to your friends but let your opponents know you are a stringer and build up your reputation. Don't think small think big. Hong Kong shops sell string cheap someone I use is Mister Keen Sporting Goods. They are the official stringers for the Kong Kong Open so they are a legit shop. Another shop is My Badminton Store. They have an online shop and Mister Keen I contact through Facebook. Good luck in your stringing career!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. J Reid

J Reid New Member

I wound up picking the Penta Premium 8600. https://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/penta-premium-stringer-8600-stringing-machine/# It's not a sports car but more of a corolla sedan. It's useful, reliable, once you get used to stinging.I'll admit that I didn't find my first stringing session enjoyable, but after the third racquet, I found it easier to solve the "shared gromment challenges". So now I re-string my kids, friends racquets. I should start advertising but my tension is around 28-30lbs so I'm not sure everyone else would want that. Besides stringing racquets at less than 28lbs isnt much of a challenge :p

Thanks for the well wishes. There aren't too many shuttlers here in Canada (except the big cities) so we'll see how it works out.