Help on service fault

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by arundeep, May 12, 2019.

1. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

Badminton coach, SAP consultant
    I believe I understand this and just looking for confirmation on the understanding of rules.

I have few beginners in the club who just started playing badminton. it is a doubles match and receiving players are standing in their own courts rather than one behind the other (as common). The server served a completely wrong serve, which was not diagonal, bur went straight. It would have clearly landed in the wrong side, but the partner of the receiver did not move and it shuttle hit the body.

Question was, who wins the point. My answer was that server wins the point. But coming from football background, the person was not convinced. He made a point that if it is a match point, then one can just make a wrong serve, that will hit the partner and win. Hopefully, you understand it is not easy to read rules and general playing situation to a newbie from another game. I calmed the situation by saying that for now we play like I said and I will check the rules again. Thankfully they moved ahead, with ongoing babbling about it :)

I hope one can confirm on correct my understanding.

Regards,
    Arundeep

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The laws don't speculate what might happen, but only discrete events about what actually happens. Your interpretation is correct; the point goes to the server:
    Until the shuttle hit the partner, no other fault has occurred, so the shuttle is still in play.

In other words: yes, you can make a serve hitting the partner to win. The reason that this strategy is not prohibited is that the partner can easily move away.

If this is truly a problem for the partner in your situation, they must to work on their agility, mental readiness, and if all else fails move farther to the back so that they have more time to react.

Saru, stradrider and Emon like this.
  3. arundeep

arundeep Regular Member

Badminton coach, SAP consultant
    Thanks for the confirmation. I understand the solution and what they need to do. But it is not easy to convince someone who want to believe that rules are not right and they are not like other sport (which he played). Now, I can say I checked again with rules and community. So, let's move forward to work on how to avoid it. :)

Thanks again.

Regards
    Arundeep Singh

4. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

The only way the reciever's partner would have trouble to move away is a when a serve is a straight smash which is illegal. As long as serve is legal the complain about winning the match with such a shot is pointless.

In fact, with this serve you could already smash the receiver, for what it worth.. ;)

phihag likes this.
  5. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

The description - standing in own courts instead of behind one another - would not lead to proper decision for the outcome of that rally. The receiver must in the correct court, and so must the server. Only then it will be a fault by that receiver's partner, any other configuration will be a service court error situation. Ergo, re-serve after correcting the positions of the server and receiver. As this is a club, and to top that beginners, I would be tempted to give them a lot more rope, in spite of their argy bargy and babble. The match point point is of no relevance or consequence.

I believe I understand the placements of the doubles players = that is all of you were in the courts reflected by the scoreline. However, own court is not correct usage as you seem to also suggest one behind another. The one behind the other, or front (yes, this is also common), is applicable only to the receiver's partner; the receiver must still be in the proper receiving court.

The BCers and esp on the rules-regs-officiating sub-forum are quite knowledgeable folks. However, for you to claim checked rules and community would be a big stretch. BC is by far a very large forum, however, it is not the 'whole' community. So read up on the laws (there is a link on another thread that is active), section 11, 12 and 13 would suffice for now, and pipe it down to BC community.

Your work however is cut out, footballers almost always arguing about decisions and laws and rules. I know this from personal experience, the next animated group is students from the subcontinent playing cricket on weekends on tennis courts with an overturned dust bin as stumps, again from personal experience.