Help choosing a racket!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by chesta, Dec 10, 2016.

1. chesta

chesta Regular Member

I'm an beginner - intermediate level player and by beginner - intermediate I mean, I understand basics and I'm pretty consistent with how I play. I also know proper court movement and how to place shots. Just a brief overview of my experience. I played when I was in Philippines when I was young for fun. When I got to Canada, I played my entire time in Highschool (Grade 9-12) playing badminton. My highest achievement was placing 4th in ROPSSAA qualifiers in Ontario. I have put down badminton since my highschool years and am recently picking it up because of some coworkers and friends wanting to play. We play at a pretty competitive level (by that I mean, we try our absolute best and don't pull any punches). We play 2-3 times a week for about 3 hours. I was and still am an aggressive player. If I see a kill opportunity, I go for it. If not, I play the clear game until I see a spot up front open up or they clear shallow.

For Grip, I'm not really sure. As long as it doesn't fly off and helps me hold the racket better, I don't really care.

I never really got too into rackets and strings back in highschool since I was one of those "budget" players since my parents restricted me from buying anything too serious and whatnot.

I'm in search of a racket that will help me do the following:
    1) Hits hard for smashes and clears
    2) good for doubles play (my friends and I usually play doubles and very rarely do we play singles)
    3) doesn't have a hard time with control. I like drop shots just as much as smashes and clears.
    4) I would like for the strings to have performance but kind of have durability. Maybe 6 months of survivability before needing replacement.

I did a little research of my own and have dug up some pretty consistent rackets that people recommend. I wanted more opinions on these since I am investing quite a bit of money for this hobby.

Voltric Z Force 2, Duora 10, Bravesword 12 are the top 3 that I keep seeing people recommend and repeat. I was wondering what you guys' thoughts are?

For strings I was thinking BG65Ti / 21 lbs.

Edit: I guess I should include a budget. Anything under $300 CAD after taxes

Edit 2: I read the sticky and decided to add in more info.

Would appreciate any detailed responses! Thank you!

#1 chesta, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    what are using now and what do you like/dislike about it?

feather or nylon shuttle?

3. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

BS12 looks perfect

4. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    Agree, if it's among the 3 I also cast a vote for the BS12. 3u G5 sound good
    BG65Ti is pretty solid and long lasting than most of other string, 21 lbs or maybe 22 lbs is a good start given the fact you haven't been playing.

5. chesta

chesta Regular Member

I don't really have a racket per se. I'm borrowing a friends racket and it's a Wilson. I didn't check the number or model or anything.

We play with nylon shuttles .

6. chesta

chesta Regular Member

Is BS12 the absolute best for what I described though? I didn't want to limit your recommendations to just the 3 I mentioned. If there are better options, please feel free to tell me which ones you believe are better ^_^

7. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    I mean, if you mentioned those 3, aside from being popular rackets, they have to be somewhat appear to you right. I was just thinking the bs12 is more suitable than VTZF2 in double and personally I don't like the theory of Duora 10 (I tried it and it's fine but I'm kinda don't want to remember what side of the racket for what since there's already so many thing I should mind on the court).
    Since you are in Canada, it should be possible to demo some rackets from a local shop.
    Base on what I tried: Jet Speed 10 - 12, Nanoray 900, HX800P. None of these is extremely head heavy but they all pack a punch in a smash. They range from somewhat stiff (JS10, HX800P) to not too flexible (nanoray 900, JS12) so you won't lose too much advantage on defence but give you enough window for control play.
    Base on what other aggressive players like: Thruster 9000 - 6000, VT70, MX80 (I never experience those long enough to give you a feed back though)
    ---
    Also, Both Victor and Yonex warranty service last like 6-9 months for those high-end rackets, feel free to smash the bird all you want during then (they won't give you a new one if you hit somebody's racket or floor and break your racket though)
    Sorry for the long reply, they are all personal view. Correct me if I'm wrong :D:D:D

8. chesta

chesta Regular Member

Out of all the rackets you mentioned, which ones do you recommend? And do they all pretty much pack the same punch and have the same defensive capabilities?

What do warranties cover for rackets? o_O

9. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    I will answer the easier one first, warranty give you a new racket if you break it while playing (smashing, clearing), or at least that what I have been receiving for the last 3-4 years since I'm in Canada.

I prefer Jetspeed 10 for a fast and aggressive game although the stiff frame make you put some effort into the game (probably the stiffest among the ones I recommended), compact frame make it slightly harder to defend but the light weight really help it. Out of the 4, this is the only one that carry the best control if I'm not slacking off :D:D:D

Nanoray 900 is much more balance, its medium softness is good for effortless power, not to the extend of a 3u JS10 though but you can be a bit lazy playing with this.

Hypernano 800P is in between the first 2. I only own the 4u version of it so in term of power I would say it comparable to a Nanoray 900 3u but lose to the 3u JS10. Defending is not a problem, I don't see it losing to the Nanoray 900. I'm planning to get a pair of 3u version of this once I have the chance, hoping I won't get too slow.

Finally, Jetspeed 12. It feel very difference from the JS10, close to a softer and heavier Nanoray 900 I would say. In other words, it's slower, much slower than what I prefer but once you get use to it, it's a good racket to go bombing your opponent. Defensive shot is hard because of the heavier and softer build. The same thing could be say when you try to do a hard shot to the side line. However, if it's not a fast game (or if your physical build is better than be, which, unfortunately, most of everyone qualify for that :p) there is no problem. (note that you may or may not like the feel of a whopping racket head XD)

10. chesta

chesta Regular Member

Can the bravesword 12 comparw to JS10?

11. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    If anything, JS10 is stiffer and carry a smaller head frame which make it supper fast and slightly bring down its defend. Otherwise I will say they are pretty similar because the Jetspeeds is said to be developed out of Bravesword serie ;)

12. chesta

chesta Regular Member

Thank you so much for your responses! ^_^ gives me more insight regarding rackets :)

13. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    No problem though, they are all my personal opinion so it may be somewhat different to other people. The best solution is to ask for a few demo from a local store and see if you like them ;)

14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

You can consider Lining N50 III if you want to emphasis defence and attack compromise, of Lining N90 III if you want to opt for more attack.