Help, broke my first racquet (JS12) while stringing, anything wrong with my setup?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by jsunsun, Aug 23, 2016.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    some patterns have their merits. some of the Victor/Haribito patterns are designed for a purpose in mind, Victor seems to favor one piece/top down.

however, some argument are not valid. yes, different rackets have different shape, layups, cross section, material, but that's the case for rackets by the same manufacturer too, victor / yonex / etc. all have different material and racket shape, etc. so why have one single pattern for one manufacturer? say Yonex only have one pattern (yeah, there are variations for different number of holes, but they are essentially the same thing.

i have said that before, some manufacturer, like LiNing, their recommended pattern is slightly different than yonex, but honestly IMHO they are different for the sake of different and not to copy Yonex.

we shouldn't blindly follow the recommended pattern just because it is. make your own judgement and use whatever you have tried and works.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The cynic in me thinks that having a weird "recommended" pattern would be a good excuse to refuse warranty claims...

"The pattern is 9-11-12-10 and you went 9-12-11-10 - no replacement for yoooou!!!"

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    You'll never get me to give up my paizhuan, warranty or otherwise.

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Badminton and tennis are very different. ERSA has only a very small amount of badminton in their lessons. Most tennis stringer go nuts, when you tell them to do a badminton racket not TD. Many badminton rackets come from the same OEM factory. I agree in terms of warranty, but never heard that any badminton brand refused warranty when you have done Yonex style BU. Most tournament stringers in badminton do various rackets from different brands. I doubt that the YY is prone to breakage or harm any racket. This is more a stringer issue instead of a racket. I claimed successful warranty at Yonex and Victor.

This also happens when you go above funny 10.5kg of many YY rackets.

I agree, as a stringer. ;) But also depends how well you know your machine. Pros use different ratios without knowing your machine.

I agree with you, but it should be clear, that I'm not talking bout to string a FZ 96 holes racket like an Babolat. Most racket with 72 and 76 holes are fine with the YY BU and even at tournaments nobody breaks a racket due a wrong pattern even at 35lbs. This is just fear. If bottom cross at B8 or not, the design is the same. I doubt that Victor made a fancy design to justify this additional cross, they also don't know which pattern is right one. Yonex is picky but Victor is very relaxed from my own experience.

If any pro can play with a standard pattern at mortal tension, I don't think about playabilty of different patterns. If they aren't picky about this issue, why should I be? To me this Victor pattern has no advantage or reason to do it this way. BTW the JS12, which you posted is also not done to the manufacturers advice. You tied off at B6,b6 instead of B7,b7. Ooops warranty gone and playabilty worse? Yes or No? ;) No offense, just joking.

5. EpicBlue

EpicBlue Regular Member

That's interesting... I'm using Victor's pattern since 2011 and haven't seen these before.

The picture of the stringing patern I post was from Victor's article here: http://www.victorsport.com.tw/coach_detail_1394.html?cid=124

Sorry that it's in Chinese, because they didn't put this on the website of Victor global.

There's also video using this pattern:

I'm guessing that Victor EU, which named Victor International, had their own stringing pattern in the past maybe?

6. EpicBlue

EpicBlue Regular Member

Oh wait!!!!

I checked Matthew's post again and find that that's not the new pattern I know!

It IS basically a Yonex loop in Matthew and s_mair's post. lol

The new pattern I know is like this: http://i.imgur.com/HTKsYsV.jpg

#46 EpicBlue, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. EpicBlue

EpicBlue Regular Member

Jetspeeds have thinner frame shapes and HXs have wider frames, which are much stronger.

Some players favor thinner frames and even asked the stringer to string the frame shape thinner.

8. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I always string my racket and customer's racket using this method. Most of south east asian stringer using this method. Reason very fast, especially when you start pulling the string from the side not from the center.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I more looks like Victor EU (aka Victor International) are recommending different patterns than Victor Taiwan. In their current catalogue they still recommend the 1-piece Haribito-style:

http://www.victorsport.com/file.php?f=2015123013093083747.pdf&type=file&id=2634

So much for "the manufacturers put a lot of thinking into their patterns..". Personally, I would go nuts if I was using a different pattern for almost every racket that comes in. This would totally kill my workflow (bye bye consistency!) and would only provoke mistakes. I am still using this variant of a Haribito professional pattern as my standard:
    Haribito.jpg

Only expection is for clients who specifically request a differnt pattern (which has only happened once...) or for Yonex rackets that are still under warranty. We know that Yonex is very picky about patterns and tensions when it comes to warranty (well... what better reasons are there to turn down a warranty claim and save some money?!), Victor is indeed more relaxed it seems.

#49 s_mair, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    ucantseeme likes this.
  10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    From the side? Please tell me not that you string the mains from the left to the right. :mad: If you do: sod off!

I strung various Jetspeeds (JS10 4U, JS8 PS 4U) over 30lbs with +1lbs or +2lbs on the cross. None broke, shape the same. Never heard such a request to deform the shape and if, I would never do this.

11. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Yup. That's what happened in my country Indonesia. Most of the stringer do that. Safe a lot of time

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Funny note: Victor International had a faulty advice for the MX pattern as the MX80 was released. I dropped them an e-mail how to tie-off mains in a single pass grommet. :D

s_mair likes this.
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's most probably the worst thing you can do to a racket. :mad:

And what I don't get - why should side-to-side be that much faster than center-out? The number of strings and hence threading actions and pulls remains the same, you need to tie two knots. Where's the benefit? :confused:

14. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Because most of the time the racket has been preweave at first then string the racket. Hahahhaha.1 person do the preweaving another person string the racket. I am talking about the stringer who open the shop they can have average 20 rackets per day

15. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I will share a video on new thread about the stringer who string the racket from side.

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Question remains the same. Why should that be faster than pre-weaving the racket and then tension the mains center-out?

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

...please don't... :confused:

18. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    If you use this method. I feel it would be faster that when you stringing from left to right then bottom to top. It's like flow

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's moments like these when I'm feeling so incredibly happy that I have started stringing myself and not having to give away my precious rackets to quick-and-dirty butchers like you anymore. :D

20. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Sorry to say, but this method is the most crappy shitty method to string a racket which I have ever seen and come across. This is not a proper method, this is a shitty basement stringer method based on profit and laziness which cause broken rackets. :mad: I don't get the shortcut. 2 guys with 2 machines will do 20 rackets in 7 hours with breaks and lunch. Average business for shop owner to string 10 rackets per day. This is not flow, this is pure dumb lazy stupid ****.

s_mair and tjiew like this.