Help! Black Toe Nails

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Morris Tuazon, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Morris Tuazon

Morris Tuazon New Member

Hello everyone,

I got a new pair of yonex badminton shoes (Power Cushion 30s) as a gift and it left my two toe nails black—and they hurt! I initially had my right toe turning black after “breaking it in” on my first time playing then followed by my left toe after playing a few days after. I wear a size 8.5 and I haven’t had any problems playing with new shoes (regardless of brand). I also typically wear my usual athletic socks so nothing different there. Any suggestions to avoid it? I’m thinking of getting new ones instead.

Thanks!
    Morris

[​IMG]

2. Justanotherfan

Justanotherfan New Member

I had the same problem where it seems like my toe is bleeding under the toe nail. It’s tolerable but I suspect a few possible reason.
    1. Didn’t trim my toenails and because of the traction from moving forward and braking it’s kind of pushes it inward thus hurting them.
    2. The size of the shoe is.not suitable (maybe the wide ness or narrow)
    3. After prolong play where your socks are wet or shoe laces are loosen which make your feet slide/move

try to trim your toe nails or check the size if your shoe is too small or big for you. I didn’t see a doctor or anything, just let the nail grow out and trim them.

Morris Tuazon likes this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Not sure if it related or not but sometimes my toe hurt after playing. It seems my foot are sliding forward & my toe hit/pushed toward my shoes tip.
    It not always happen but just sometimes & if i think about it, its coz im arrive to the court abit late, where everyone already warm up. So im abit hurry putting my shoes & didnt tie it tight so it let my foot sliding inside. So when im correctly tie my shoes, no pain on my toe anymore.

4. Bugles

Bugles New Member

Hello,

I've been playing badminton for more than a decade now, 2 to 3 times a week. I have the same problem with you. I tried every remedy, even consulted a sport doctor, but still no dice. I got used to this injury. Every time I got this injury, in a year my toe nails will grow again, then after that it will go black again. It's a regular occurrence to me. Imagine that for more than 10 years. But I don't have a problem with pain. Once it's fully back again, it will only take 5 days to go black again, and it will not bother me for the rest of the year, unfortunately I cannot wear flip flops anymore. I already tried every remedy you can think of. However, I haven't tried a wide shoes yet. My next shoes to buy is a wide feature.

5. LuckyR

LuckyR New Member

I used to have this problem but doing 2 things got rid of it forever.

1- Trim toenails before playing

2- Go up 1/2 size in shoe size

Good luck

dtjovan likes this.