Hello from UK

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by ChanKC, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker here, decided to sign up and say hello.
    I've been playing badminton for ~4 years now but my level is probably still stuck at advanced beginner, so hope to learn more from you experienced guys and girls here :)

R20190, kwun, sautom88 and 4 others like this.
  2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Congratulations on taking the dive and joining in the fun at BC.
    Don't be shy about your skill level. Many of us are far from perfect players. ;)

What do you like best about badminton? The challenge? The exercise? The social aspect?
    Or do you just like hitting something really, really hard? :D

3. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

Thanks, for me what's great is about challenging myself to get better, beating other players and getting that great feeling when you hit the shuttle just right.

I love it best when I do a good deception shot rather than a smash and watching the opponent be stranded :)

Fidget likes this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Uh oh... that sounds very much like me...

That means you too have perfectionism and OCD...

5. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

Haha, I wouldn't say that because I would be incredibly frustrated with myself every time I play.

6. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    A well done deception shot IS the best thing.;) Welcome!

7. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

Wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to share my first experience watching the pros at All England Badminton.

The day was to start early with the doors opening at 9 and play to begin at 10am prompt. There wasn't quite the buzz around the Barclaycard Arena that you would expect from a quarter final day, however the day was still young and it gave everyone plenty of chance to visit the stands and have a go at the various fun challenges that yonex had set up. Not to mention an opportunity to separate you and your money with the selection of rackets, shoes, bags and clothing available.

With my bag stocked up with essential nutrition in the form of crisps, sweets and chocolate I headed into the arena, eagerly anticipating the start. I had a decent view of court 1 where first up was the Chinese pair Chen Qing Chen (CQC) and Jia Yi Fan (JYF) against the Japanese duo Shiho Tanaka (ST) and Kohari Yonemoto (KY).

From the very first point between these 4 ladies, Hawkeye was called into action - a sign that every point would count in this enticing encounter. The Chinese pair went on to win the first game putting a dominant display both physically and vocally. In the second game with renewed vigor the Japanese pair bounced back to take the match to a third game - a first for both teams in the tournament so far. As the final match went on the Chinese pair got more and more vocal when winning their points promoting the umpire to step in and have some words. Unfazed by their opponents rallying calls the ST and KY carried out their work silently and effectively seeing out the final game 21-15 and sealing their place in the semi final.

Next up was a tasty fixture in the form of reigning champion Tai Tzu Ying (TTY) against unseeded Aya Ohori (AO). TTY was fancied the heavy favourite; however there was no room for complacency given some of the upsets witnessed in the tournament so far.
    From the very start of the match TTY was in blistering form, moving her opponent around the court and not putting much of a foot wrong. After racing in the lead she did a professional job of seeing out the first game 21-12. With the change of sides and the second game starting AO needed to make a statement and start strongly; however TTY was yet again in imperious form, deceiving her opponent to clinch the second game with an 8 point margin and march on through to the semi final.

Next up on court 1 was a taste of the men's doubles with last year's winners Marcus Fernando Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo also known as "the minions", they were up against the Chinese Tai Pei pair Chen Hung Ling and Wang Chi Lin. The former being likened to Harry Potter - they knew they would need some wizardry if they were to beat the Indonesian pair. It was with this match that the Indonesian supporters made their presence known cheering on their travel-sized compatriots on through to the semi finals in straight sets.

In the next match another set of supporters came to life - the Danes. There was an impressive crowd that had made the journey to cheer on their heroes and they were not to be disappointed. Seeing their mixed doubles pair Mathias Christensen and Christina Pedersen dumping out Praveen Jordan and Debby Susanto.

The final match of session 1 in the day was one definitely worth waiting for, with a repeat of the previous years world championship match. India's darling PV Sindhu versus the reigning world champion Japanese Nozomi Okuhara. The pair had met each other 10 times previously with each taking 5 a piece, a very closely matched pair then, even if the height difference made it appear as David and Goliath. The quality of play was excellent against these 2 competitors and a point here or there could have made a big difference between the final result - in the end it was PV Sindhu who advanced in 3 games, exacting revenge for the world championships and she will now have a keen eye to taking the next step of claiming the title.

End of session 1

phihag, Cheung, kwun and 2 others like this.
  8. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

QF session 2

Re-entering the Barclaycard Arena for the second session of the quarter finals there was a noticeable buzz in the atmosphere, after all how often is it that you would see 2 legends of the court fight it out perhaps for one last time at the All England....however more on that later.

The stands were manned by the same friendly staff and volunteers, but now with more visitors getting in the spirit of things. And with a blink of an eye it was already time to take a seat and enjoy the action once again starting off with the women's singles on court 1 - Spain's Shouty Señorita Carolina Marin against Japan's Never-give-up girl Akane Yamaguchi. The winner of this bout would go on to face PV Sindhu, but before either could think about that they had to get on with the task at hand. With the new change in service rules not many had fallen foul of it, unfortunately for Marin she had several calls against her which disrupted her flow to allow Yamaguchi to take the first game. With that momentum AY pressed her advantage frustrating CM with her persistence in chasing every shuttle. As with the earlier match the silent approach seemed to work better with Yamaguchi booking her spot in the semifinals in straight games.

Next up was England's last hope of any silverware this year with the husband and wife duo Chris and Gabby Adcock taking on yet again more representatives of Japan Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino. The English pair entered the arena to rapturous applause not only from the locals but also travelling supporters. Cheered on by the strong support try raced ahead, claiming the first game and putting one step into the semis. However the Japanese pair were unfazed by the overwhelming support received by their opponents taking the second game helped by a few uncharacteristic mistakes by the English duo. With the match going into the deciding game, rather than gaining encouragement from the support the Adcocks seemed to be affected by the pressure of it instead. Chris' confidence in his smashes waining when it was rebuffed time and again by his opponents. Eventually the Japanese team were triumphant and now go into the semi finals.

Next up was the one that everyone had been waiting for including yours truly. These 2 were the very reason I started playing badminton, from watching them online tournament after tournament I could only be in awe of their physical prowess, sharp skills and amazing agility. Granted this may be the last time these greats will face each other again at an All England tournament, and that alone was reason enough for it to be treated as a final. Even before the famous 2 legends had come out people were cheering and chanting, eagerly waiting for their hero to come out and put on a show. The significance of this meeting wasn't lost on anybody in the stadium, even for those that didn't know a thing about badminton - hearing and FEELING the atmosphere was enough to put goosebumps on anyone's skin.
    And that was it.
    They were coming out.
    The 2 time Olympic champion Lin Dan against the incredible 3 time Olympic runner up and now "movie star" Lee Chong Wei.

When I have read about "the crowd going wild" I didn't have much context to put this to - I thought it was just another cliché that people who decide to write about sport default to using. But now I know, now I have felt what that means and frankly it doesn't even do it justice for what I felt even before a shuttle had been hit between these 2 greats.
    Whilst the pair on the court would be fighting against each other the crowd of supporters had their very own battle - who could show their support and passion the most? Who could spurn on their champion more? Who would be able to say they cheered on their hero into the next round?
    With the warm ups done it was time for this historical game to start, LD would be the fresher of the 2 veterans, but having not shown great form to get to this stage. LCW had shown some glimpses of his brilliance, but did he have the legs and energy to keep it up?
    With the start of the match it very much had the feeling of a final to it, every point played was silent save for the gasps and wows - reactions to the smashes, drops and dives of the 2 competitors. It would then explode into cheers and support for one or the other to as they say "add oil".

With the crowd so enthralled by this match, both Lin Dan and Chong Wei appeared entranced by the moment too. They were no longer the 30 something veterans having a swan song and seeing out their careers - they were young again! They were facing off against each other just as they had many times in their past. They weren't in an ageing body, they were there, back in their prime, pitting themselves against at each other soaking in the admiration of all those who had gathered to watch them, battling, relishing and savouring each and every point.

I find it hard to find the words to describe how this match went, I'm not sure I could do it justice. But one thing I do know - this was an epic match, worthy of the final and worthy of a great rivalry that we will all sorely miss.

Heres to the 2 living legends that are Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei!

9. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Nice descriptive report!
    There is nothing like seeing the highest-level badminton in the flesh.

You will find yourself playing inspired badminton, at your home club, for the next few weeks! :)

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Excellent write-up my friend. Well done!