Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by lee00, May 1, 2016.

1. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

I'm a new member, just joined yesterday. I love badminton! started playing by the age of 9. But nowadays it's hard to find a partner to play with, so mostly I just watch badminton matches on TV/youtube.
    That's it, I guess. Nice to be part of this BC.
    Cheers

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Welcome lee00! :)
    Glad that you enjoy watching almost as much as playing.

But it is sad that you have trouble finding games. A common problem in many places in North America where adult badminton exists perhaps only once a year, in the backyard, with beer in hand. :rolleyes:

To give an idea to those who live in badminton-rich parts of the world, could you describe a bit about the situation where you live? Is it lack of players, or facilities? Or is it lack of free-time?

3. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

Hello Fidget.
    I live in British Columbia, CA. We just moved here last year. I was born in Indonesia, you see lots of shuttlers there. So yeah I can't find any shuttlers around my place, dunno if there are badminton clubs. Now I only play at school with beginner players, that sucks since I'm a intermediate one.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

lee00,

I can understand how frustrating it must be to come from Indonesia to USA where badminton is not popular.
    But if you keep looking, you may find some players at your level somewhere nearby.

And, if not, you could perhaps take the lead in making badminton more popular in your area. :)

I know of a person who took a suitcase of baddy gear with her when she went to the Far North to teach school for a year. During her spare time, she threw herself into teaching the local kids how to play badminton. She didn't produce any world champions but she did set a great example and gave the kids something else to do in the long dark winters.

Maybe you will be the Indonesian sun who shines the badminton light into the dark corners of small-city California. :cool:

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    British Columbia meaning the Vancouver area? there are a handful of dedicated badminton clubs there, you just need to search for them in Google maps and look for the one closest to you. with the number of Asians in that area there are a healthy number of clubs around.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Oh, CA meaning Canada! :confused: [face-palm]

Vancouver,BC is full of badminton. But it is a mighty big province and not everywhere would have that level.
    Whereabouts are you lee00? Surely this forum has somebody in it who can point you in the right direction.:)

7. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

I'm in Coquitlam. Please don't say ClearOne Badminton Centre he he it's like Taufik Hidayat Arena to me :)
    I just need a small one with a couple of decent players.
    Thanks to both of you @kwun @Fidget.