He BingJiao (何冰娇)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by RedShuttle, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said. He Bingjiao's recent transformation , from her drastic weight loss to how she fared in the internal tournaments in China against both Chen Yufei and Wang Zhiyi to the way she played in the Tokyo Olympics, in particular the way she overcome Nozomi change my opinion of her as it finally convinced me she is working hard to realize her full potential.

Yes, some more tweaking in her game, which coupled with continuing perseverance as she has demonstrated of late, and we should see her going places, soon, I very much hope so.

Just as well, the rise of Chen Yufei, the promise that Wang Zhiyi is showing, and now the resurgent He Bingjiao , could not have come at a better time for the rejuvenation of Chinese women's singles to her former glory. JiaYou!

tbgoh288 and Suilven like this.
  2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Highly potential to reclaim Uber Cup after 2018 edition semifinal shocking exit.

Justin L likes this.
  3. viver

viver Regular Member

There is always room for improvement. From the Bronze medal match PVS read her shots well, she was moving in the direction even before HBJ hitting the shuttle.

Cheung likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Of course there's always room for improvement, even for an old hand like Chen Long.

The point I'm trying to make is that in HBJ's match with Sindhu she wasn't as proactive and positive, not as driven and dynamic as she was when playing Nozomi, which is what peeved me about her attitude in that bronze medal match.

Anyway, it's history and I hope she self-reflects and learns some lessons from it. Now I'm looking forward to seeing a rejuvenated He Bingjiao, she is talented, no doubt, so I believe it's more about her mindset going forward.

Just as LCW stressed the importance of one's mental attitude when talking about his protege Lee Zi Jia. I very much hope to see her apply the same resolve in her weight loss training to her playing mentality in tournaments as well as in her skills training; otherwise, she may end up another wasted talent, that would be such a shame as at age 24 she still has a lot going for her in her career.

As I've recounted, HBJ at about age 19 (!) in 2016 had a remarkable run of four tournament victories, namely, the Japan and the French Open Superseries, and the Swiss as well as the Bitburger Open Grand Prix - as such I'm cautiously optimistic that her recent signs of resurgence which began during the pandemic internal events in China where she defeated both Chen Yufei and Wang Zhiyi are a realistic indication of what she is capable of henceforth.

May I be proven right. All the best to He Bingjiao.

viver likes this.
  5. viver

viver Regular Member

I understood China in the past selected players based on their records against non-Chinese players. She must do well in international tournaments, which I believe she is capable of to justify the confidence of the coaches. The issue with China is that the internal pressure to do well is very high, if one is not willing there are hundreds waiting at your doorstep to fill in your shoes. Like you mentioned above, the mental aspect is fundamental.

Justin L likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He Bingjiao is doing very well so far in the ongoing 14th National Games of the PRC.

As I've posted in the Chinese badminton thread:-

"Wow, in the Women's Team Semifinal Match 1 now (today) ongoing between Zhejiang and Jiangsu, He Bingjiao beat the newly-crowned Olympic champion, Chen Yufei, 21-17, 10-21, and 21-17 !"

"
    Thrilling, an intriguing match, both Amazons throwing everything at each other in an intense battle in G3.
    Kudos to He Bingjiao who, despite a bad start in the decider trailing 0-6, was able to turn the tables on her determined opponent, Chen Yufei. Though the latter managed to level with G2, 21-10, by playing with more urgency and injection of pace but towards the end, to her chagrin, found the former come charging back with stubborn defence and well-timed attacks to emerge victorious.

Extraordinary, where did HBJ find her reserves of energy to fight her way to cross the finishing line first with gusto. Not only that , she later partnered Tang Jinghua for the 2nd WD match when the team score was 1-2 (Zhejiang winning the 1st WD and the 2nd WS as Han Qianxi beat Gao Fangjie) to win against Huang Yaqiong/Zheng Lan in two straight sets, 21-18 and 21-10.

Impressive, proof positive that HBJ's fitness condition, esp endurance, is no longer a major concern, her recent weight loss workout program is paying dividends.

I really have to tip my hat off to you, He Bingjiao. Way to go !"

After the Team Event ending tomorrow, it will be followed by the Individual Event on 12th September, Sunday. Let's see how He Bingjiao fares in the WS championship later.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It turns out that Chen Yufei's right toe injury caused by the shoe she wore during her match with Han Yue the previous day partly contributed to her defeat to He Bingjiao the next day in the Women's Team Semifinals.

It was mentioned here https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/others/2021-09-11/doc-iktzqtyt5406046.shtml
    [​IMG]
    当晚,陈雨菲在团体半决赛中被伤病拖累,1-2负于了国家队的队友何冰娇。
    " That night, Chen Yufei was hampered by injuries in the team semifinals, losing 2-1 to national team teammate He Bingjiao."

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the Denmark Open'21 semifinals, He Bingjiao lost to Akane Yamaguchi yet again for the 11th time and only one win, that is H2H 1-11.

No doubt, today's match was as close as it can get, 21-23 and 20-22 - in G1, she came from behind 17-20 to force deuce, and in G2, she reached gamepoint first at 19-20 before losing the deuce. In both sets, HBJ had to come from behind to close the considerable gap, 8-14 in G1, and 7-14 in G2. In the second set, she even led briefly by one point on three occasions before capitulating.

Generally, HBJ lost to Akane Yamaguchi's uncanny ability to get so much back by out-running, out-retrieving and out-defending including interspersing with the occasional attacking shots whenever the opportunity arises to just get the better of HBJ eventually winning the rally and finally the match, albeit narrowly.

While I still think HBJ is a smarter , thinking player and has better deception than Chen Yufei, she tends to be a bit more error-prone and her fitness level not as good as the latter.

In terms of physique , both ladies are on the plump side, even though HBJ has slimmed down quite a lot recently, and height-wise, HBJ is 1.69m whereas AY is only 1.56m, rather short for a badminton player, the latter is a surprisingly fast mover on court, one of the fastest in the women's circuit.

Obviously, HBJ and her coach(es) do still have quite some work to do on how to handle this compact dynamo who has stumped many an opponent into submission by her amazing defensive cum counterattacking skills.

Even Chen Yufei, the newly-minted Olympic champion has come a cropper twice in succession at Akane's hands , both occasions within a fortnight of two highly important world team championships, namely, the Sudirman Cup and the Uber Cup.

A cause for concern for the Chinese women's singles team that CBA has to address as soon as possible, surely.

#388 Justin L, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  9. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

The BWF commentators mentioned that while HBJ is fitter, she is not playing any faster. Rhythm-wise, that may not be a big concern, as long as HBJ is swift enough to keep up with her opponents.

HBJ's biggest problem remains her casual mistakes. She simply cannot afford giving points away easily when playing against top players. HBJ's coach must help her out of that rut or she will never be among the very top players.

Justin L likes this.
  10. viver

viver Regular Member

Watched the last portion of the last 5-10 minutes of the match against Akane. Those 2-3 wild shots - I say wild because it was quite off mark, may have cost her the second game and match. HBJ may need to learn to focus and be a bit more relaxed when playing the crucial points.
    It was a good match, I believe if HBJ keeps working hard she could be fighting for the number one position in the very near future.

Justin L likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He Bingjiao, saw that? How An Seyoung came close to beating Akane Yamaguchi in two straight sets, 21-18, 23-25, only to retire at 5 - 16 in the decider, exhausted and risking injury?

Chen Yufei, you too.

Work with your coaches, adopt the right strategy, have the tenacity, willpower and determination to overcome the problem and conquer the opposition !

All the best. JiaYou !

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My favourite CHN's WS post-LXR-WYH-WSX era, He Bingjiao, is finally back with a bang - capturing two titles in three events played in the last one over month (withdrawn at the QF stage of the AE against her compatriot , Chen Yufei, on grounds of indisposition), namely, the Gainward German Open and the Gwangju Korea Masters - in the process beating her nemesis, Akane Yamaguchi, once in their last encounter; An Se Young twice in as many encounters, in fact, winning all their encounters so far; and Chen Yufei twice in their last three meetings. On the whole, an impressive achievement, the prestige of the tournaments notwithstanding.

Actually, I have quite a bit more to say but thought better of it as I hesitated somewhat simply because I might get carried away and may have to retract some of my words later. Well, I shall hold back my prognostication going forward until HBJ proves me right about her breakthrough, for good this time.

CLELY, kwun and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's just the beginning to rectify her inconcistency and lacklustre performance, waiting her sterling feat in top tier tournament. But she has showed significant transformation to beat Olympic Champion Chen YF and current two most stable players in the circuit World Champion Yamaguchi and KOR star An SY.

Justin L likes this.
  14. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Good performance by HBJ during this Uber Cup campaign, winning every match.

She didn't have as a tough of a opposition as CYF did, but she proved once again that she is reliable in team events.

Since the 2018 UC where she lost to Goh Jin Wei HBJ has not lost a single match in either the Uber (playing also several games as WS1) or Sudirman Cup (if my short research was correct).

She has proven that she can take on most of the top WS players atm, with the exception of PVS's power play. Looking forward to seeing her challenge TTY and a healthy CM in the future.

Justin L likes this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To be frank, PV Sindhu's power play that she unleashed with thundering smashes almost blew me away watching how she threatened to overpower , first, He Bingjiao, and then, Akane Yamaguchi, in their BAC'22 encounters. But, to my surprise, it didn't last long, she seemed unable to repeat that extraordinary feat the next tournament, as if it's a one-off kind of thing.

Perhaps it's a particularly physically demanding effort that she can only perform with special preparation and that rarely, so she has to choose when and against which opponent to do so. We'll see.

As for He Bingjiao, she has the exquisite technical skill, the aesthetics, which I rank among the very best, together with Tai Tzu Ying and Intanon Ratchanok, not in any order.

In fact, after watching the match HBJ lost to PVS in the video replay, I think she has the technique, the know-how, to counter Sindhu's power play by not giving the latter too many attacking opportunities, it's just that in that match, she was taken by surprise, caught off-guard by her opponent's thundering smashes, unlike Akane who has the advantage of having got wind of what PVS was capable of doing to HBJ the day before and, thus, was better prepared for it. Let's see how their next meeting would turn out.

However, I have to concede that playing beautiful, captivating badminton does not equate to all-conquering, winning badminton, not always or even often, or else, these three with their artistry of consummate racquet skills would have been garnering all the highest accolades among themselves.

To clarify myself, I mean it's not enough to have the skills, but also the fitness/stamina/endurance, the speed and power, the stability and mental strength, the consistency, and, I will include, the experience for good measure to be right at the top inarguably for a period of time and, perhaps, even be counted as one of the all-time greats.

#395 Justin L, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the QFs of the East Ventures Indonesia Open today, the way He Bingjiao started off the match and went off to lose G1 badly to An Se Young , so error-prone and gifting points galore that I was sure she's having a bad day, and that ASY might just be lucky to break the duck in their H2H this time. But, alas for ASY, it was not to be.

To HBJ's credit, she actually managed to dig her heels in in the middle of G2 ,suddenly turned the tables on her opponent, forced the equalizer and went on to take the match convincingly in the decider. What a rousing come-from-behind victory for HBJ. I'm so impressed, admirable, it reminded me of what Lin Dan wrote in his autobiography - when the match seems to go poorly for you from the get-go, you still must not give up but do your utmost to play yourself into form ( I paraphrased from memory).

I'm certain this incident bodes well for HBJ, proof positive she has the mental strength, the self-possession, the self-mastery, for as they say, one is one's worst enemy, and today she conquered herself before overcoming her foe on court. What a resounding victory, the way she fought her way back when all seemed lost in the middle of G2 with one game down to eventually take the match - it blew me away, so heartening to witness, a most inspiring performance, perhaps, a harbinger of what she's now capable of going forward.

To me, she has exhibited the hallmarks of a true champion. Is it far-fetched for me to say she might just be the next World Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist in the following years ? That's my dearest wish for her.

17. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

HBJ is 4:0 against ASY and lost a game for the first time. For whatever reason, ASY just can't read HBJ very well and ASY cannot contend with with tricky HBJ on her physical ability alone. As ASY matures, this match-up may get tougher down the road.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, in a way, no doubt, the once child prodigy An Se Young at 20 has the advantage of youth versus HBJ at 25 as the years go by, all the more I wish to see HBJ scale the heights and reach the summit as soon as possible.

19. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

So disappointed with he binjiao's performances in the Malaysia open. She was like an error machine. She gave wang zhiyi lot of free points otherwise she could have won the match in two straight sets.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Either He Bingjiao underestimated her junior teammate Wang Zhiyi with whom she trains on a daily basis or she didn't do her homework and omitted to make any special preparations based on her understanding of her junior's game. Once on court, your fellow teammate on the opposite side is just another competitor who wants to win as much as you do, so you mustn't take anything for granted as whatever happens during training, no matter how many times you come up on top, doesn't count, it's what happens at tournaments that really matters.

All the more so , without a coach on courtside to advise you, it's your job to analyse the situation and bring your A-game, for no one, even your best friend will give you any quarters, esp when the stakes are high. Moreover, it's also a question of respecting your opponents by taking them seriously. That's my opinion.

From what I've gathered, when HBJ lost to Chen Yufei at the Tokyo Olympics semifinal clash, it affected her quite a fair bit, for, if I may speculate , during their previous couple of matches played in the domestic events, it was HBJ who prevailed, as such she probably thought she had a fairly good chance of making it to the final. That's why when HBJ lost to Sindhu in the bronze medal playoff that followed, I commented that HBJ just couldn't get her game going, almost lackadaisical, a far cry from how she acquitted herself against CYF the day before.

Personally, my expectations of HBJ is higher than for CYF for I consider the former as more talented as the latter. Apparently, talents alone is no guarantee for ultimate success, there are other factors in play as well, such as your physical and mental preparation, the timing of the form you are in, whether you're able to rise to the occasion or crack under tremendous pressure, not forgetting your opponent(s) unexpectedly playing above themselves, not to mention unforeseen circumstances, including personal issues that may crop up at the wrong time, and who's to deny the intervention of Lady Luck even for those who believe you make your own luck.

At age 25 now, looking at her past results as a youth until lately, I should expect her to reach the peak of her career anytime soon and , hopefully, may it stretch for the next two to three years and enable her to harvest a number of most coveted titles. He Bingjiao, wish you good luck and all the best !