Hats off to Lee Hyun Il

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by malaysiangirl, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    the only good thing comes out from this incident is forcing BWF to take action on those poor line calls, days of having cameras on side lines will be here soon.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It seems like BWF has to learn lessons the hard way before they're forced to take action. Otherwise they just doddle along thinking all in the world is fine. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    ya, i actually believe taufik is serious about what he said, since he successfully boycotted this KO knowing full well could (and did) happpen :p...if LHI wants it that bad, i'll just walk off and give it to them lol...what's the fun in that? we fans want entertainment! ahaha ;)

4. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Hopefully BWF will wake up and take positive steps. As the saying goes-fish rots from the head. Preventive measures are certainly more positive than corrective measures and BWF is doing the latter which is not working positively.

5. SImplelenna

SImplelenna Regular Member

I must admit that LHi has a great progress, but to judge that LD is very emotional too early, well cause I can't watch the game so I just thought that LD very angry of Li Mao, if he Didn't interfere when LD protest the Lines judge maybe LD didn't such a fool thing for a player, well
    I think Korean Open always made a players heart attack for honesty...:crying:
    since I know that Taufik wouldn't came to Korean open cause he felt emotional thingking....

6. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    More likely is getting into the top 20 before Olympics - so he can qualify

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Top 16 to qualify for OG, now LHI is no 23. Minus one or two from same country, top 18, should be achievable for LHI.

8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

LD was acting pretty emotional from the very first bad line call (which of course was overruled by the umpire). I guess that's kind of a static, trying to put pressure on LHI and the umpire -- unfortunately it finally backfired. :cool:

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I believe the previous poster didn't have a chance to watch the "new videos". I just watched it a couple of hrs back and I was really shocked at the way Lin Dan reacted :eek: Totally unprofessional....

10. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Actually in an interview later, LHI commented about LD, saying he's arragant, and dirty... He said that he tries to put pressure on umpire to get all calls his way. Also it's LHI's dream to win the korean open and he said he will definitely defend his title next year, but he doesn't know if LD will be there for it(as a sort of parting shot)...

11. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I would like to see this interview in its original form or English translation. I highly doubt the accuracy of the Chinese version. (On the other hand I am quite interested in hearing LHI's comments. :D)

There is another Chinese "interview" with the umpire which is very inaccurate, totally inconsistent with the videos.

12. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

As I said, I tend to not believe verbatim this report. Since recently there are several such reports which are pretty far from the truth. A few examples:

1. A Sina report about a controversial call at 20:20 between TH and PSH in Mas Open.

2. A report about TH in SEA Games.

3. An "interview" of the umpire of the LD - LHI match.

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I was there...I think I explained this in other thread.....TH knew that shuttle was IN and chose to keep quiet and Park protested and umpire still asked the linesmen, and he insisted that the shuttle was out...Park continues playing....
    I mentioned that mistake made by linesmen and TH was lucky to get 2nd match otherwise Park had a chance to win the game...

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

What's amusing...

:)..in that video is the scene at the end...Check out Li Mao jumped up, arms wide open at the side w/fingers waving as if trying to call security, and then looked at the side line-judge in disbelief & was ready to argue:p ;)..Hmm, I wonder if he did the same thing also in this recent incident, right after LD complained to the Umpire on the last bad line call..:confused:
    *Btw, shouldn't that be where usually coach(es) would sit during a match??..Unlike in the 2008 KO MSF??:confused:

#156 ctjcad, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  17. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    He has no problem qualifying the Olympic, if he can maintain his form, he may very well be in the top 10 by April, don't forget he was the Finalist in malaysia Open and won the Korea Open title, both are Super Series.

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Why do you think so?
    LD played well but LHI played superior.LD was no match for LHI mentally.When LD reached 20-18 , he did a victory- for-sure skip because he was confident of closing with 2 match points.When he couldn't , he mentally collapsed.He then was focussed on outside help (umpire?) to help him win while LHI was focussed on his badminton. That's why when the umpire didn't help him , LD boomeranged whereas LHI subtly clenched his fist.Thereafter all LHI needed to do was to keep the shuttle in play and wait for LD to commit errors.
    LHI was awesome in his defeat of LD for 3 reasons:
    1. LD was twice as fresh physically (LD's first tournament vs LHI's second tournament).On that basis alone and with purportedly better skills, LD should be able to take care of LHI confidently.
    2. LHI was the player who was victimised but he hid it well. The umpire acted largely as LD's free protection insurance (because LD alerted him?),targetting to overrule line judges at all opportunities. That's ok except for one good call that was overruled wrongly.Had that call been rightly awarded to LHI, LHI would have won G3 with a score like G2.
    3. LD's WR1 and supported by a loud CHN crowd and at the prime age of 24; LHI 's just on the come back trail and at 28, certainly not prime.
    This match makes an excellent coaching tool on "how to hold on ,against all odds,while driving your physically superior opponent to crumble mentally into defeat."
    Congrats, LHI! You are the rightful and true champion of KO08.

19. morphy

morphy Regular Member

It's funny reading some of the things and makes me wonder if the person who wrote it are even aware of their own bias. Case in point:
    I don't for a min think any of the players were focused on "outside (unpire?) help" to win the match.
    But for the sake of argument, lets say it was the case. For the player who was counting on outside help, won't he then try his best to initiate a shot that would result in a controversial call? Therefore he'll hit it so close to the line, might even be really out, linesperson rules unfavorably by calling it out (correct or incorrect doesn't matter as the player is going to count on umpire to overule), player immediately complains to umpire, expecting a overule. Really if I was counting on the umpire I'm not going to wait for the other player...how do I know if he is not going to hit one that's 1 feet in...even if I complain to the ump will do no good, it has to be at least close to be controversial.

So going by your premise, and the way things played out in the video, it was LHI that was actually counting on outside help not LD.
    So umm next time try not to make your bias so obvious The moment I read something that biased I just stop, no point reading anymore..:p

20. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

I stop reading it exactly after the line too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.