Has anyone been on a Paul Stewart coaching weekend?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by BadmintonDave, Jul 18, 2022.

1. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Hi all,

I am in a position to attend a Paul Stewart coaching weekend and wanted to know if anyone had attended before.

I was really looking forward to booking it, then I got an email about a charity badminton tournament from when I lived elsewhere. Someone died on court, so a charity tournament was set up and it would be the 4th or 5th time it has been held it hadn't been held for 1-2 years due to Covid. The date clashes with the Paul Stewart weekend though :(.

Kindof conflicted. The coaching weekend would be of more benefit to me. But if I work really hard at the tournament I could maybe finish 8th place, and the tournament would be more fun and have attended twice before.

Hphorizon00 likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Did you go on the coaching weekend?

How was it if you went?

BadmintonDave likes this.
  3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

It was really good. No games were played, it was all learning, learning, learning.

Out of the 9 or so things we were taught over the 2 days on court, I was only complimented on 2 of them.

And the first thing I was told was that my forehand grip was incorrect (v was at the 1 o clock bevel instead of 11 o clock if the racquet is infront of you with the strings pointing sideways). I'd been holding forhand grip wrong for over 7 years!

I was a bit dissapointed to hear it might not be being run from 2023 onwards due to costs increasing. But I understand reasons why.

I learned a lot, and got a neat pocket notebook (to write coaching notes in) with his social medias stuck on the front

And I almost had 2 car accidents on the way to the venue, due to other bad drivers on the roads lol.

Cheung likes this.