Hafiz is out!!

Discussion in 'Japan Open 2003 / Korean Open 2003' started by whizkelv, Apr 8, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Mohammad Hafiz Hashim suffered a shocking first round defeat in the Korean Open.
    Lost at the hands of unknown Hong Kong player.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    If i'm not wrong, the player Hafiz lost to is Johan Hadikusuma. Thats his Indonesian name written there as opposed to his christian name. I BELIEVE, i've seen his name written as Johan Hadikusuma Wiratama somewhere before....

Also, for those of you who don't know, Johan is the younger brother of Alan Budikusuma who i believe won the 1992 Olympics

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not exactly an 'unknown' player. Johan has moved to HK just over a year ago. First as a training partner. Then it seems he managed to obtain a contract with HKBA.

For the past year, he seems to have had a lot of difficulties exiting in qualifiers and 1st rounds of tournaments. This is a player who reached the s/f of the s'pore open in 2001 (i think). Maybe this is his turning point. (and Hafiz's)

#3 Cheung, Apr 8, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2003
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It just goes to prove how difficult it is to stay on top. The underdog, Hafiz was one during the All-England, will take every opportunity to knock the "stars" out of contention. Even the more consistent Chen Hong recently suffered the same fate during the Japan Open when he was eliminated by young teammate, Lin Dan.

Looks like we can expect more upsets to come!