Hafiz aims to wrap up the year by beating Chong Wei for SEA Games gold

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by ants, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

KUALA LUMPUR: In his first international tournament this year, Mohd Hafiz Hashim defeated Lee Chong Wei to reach the German Open final in February.

Now, he plans to wrap up his campaign this year by beating the same player at the Manila SEA Games. But it will be easier said than done.

Chong Wei, the top seed in the men's singles event at the Manila Games, has been going great guns in recent times but in two meetings this year, Hafiz has won once – in the German Open – and lost the other, in the Danish Open.

Hafiz, the second seed, can make it an all-Malaysia final for the first time in many years in the Games.

The Indonesians, Malaysia's main rivals, will not have Taufik Hidayat and will be banking instead on Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Simon Santoso.

Hafiz is determined to save his best for his last international competition of the year

“Initially, there were doubts whether I would be competing in the SEA Games because of my knee injury.

“But I am looking forward to the Games. My target is nothing short of winning the individual gold,” said Hafiz.

“I would also like to help the men's team achieve the same goal.”

Hafiz competed in the Dutch Open last month despite pain on his right knee and went on to win the title. It was his third title after also emerging champion in the back-to-back Swiss and Thailand Opens in March.

After the Dutch outing, he lost to Chong Wei in the Danish Open.

On the local scene, Hafiz has not beaten the two-time Malaysian Open champion Chong Wei in the last two years.

“Whenever the knee pain surfaces, I go for a good “urut” (massage). I have had a good rest after the Danish Open (he skipped the ongoing China Open in Guangzhou),” said Hafiz, who returned to training on Monday after the Hari Raya break.

Hafiz, who has received a first round bye, is expected to take on defending champion Dwi Kuncoro in the last four. Both have played three times with Hafiz winning twice.

The other contenders at the Manila Games will be Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand and Vietnam's top player Nguyen Tien Minh.

Malaysia last won a SEA Games singles through Mohd Roslin Hashim at the 2001 Kuala Lumpur Games.

2. qwertyu

qwertyu Regular Member

Ya, but he must beat his stomach ache first. A true case of from hero to zero.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Taufik also cited stomach problem when he lost to LCW in the Malaysian Open 2005 :D

4. tweety bird

tweety bird Regular Member

Defaulted games

Hi guys! You seem to be knowledgeable in badminton. I have been posting this question and I haven't gotten any answers. I hope you guys can help me asap.

What score should be recorded on the official score book for games won by default? Is there any official rule on this? If yes, where can I find that? Thanks again.

5. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    its the dreaded stomach problem:) i hope i dont catch it:D

6. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    im not sure, but in tournaments its 15-0, anyway ill ask some friends of mine who are umpires and get back to you asap

7. tweety bird

tweety bird Regular Member

Thanks. Appreciate it.