Gunawan/Bach, can they sustain?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by kwun, Aug 29, 2005.

?

Will Gunawan/Bach be able to prove that they deserve their WC position?

1. yes! they will continue winning major GP tournaments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. somewhat. they may win one or two small star ones.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. nah, the WC was just a one-time inspiration...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    proud??

I really dont think Bach is proud. that is the way american people express themself in sport like NBA, NFL & NCAA :rolleyes:

2. beerslayer

beerslayer Regular Member

sending resumes into black holes
    By the word "proud", John, I'm guessing you mean more what I would call "cocky" or "arrogant". If so, I really haven't noticed this in Howard's behavior.

In public, he acts confidently and with enthusiasm. Taken in the cultural context, this is expected, even praiseworthy behavior by Western standards. By Eastern standards, where (as I understand it) people typically behave with more humility, his behavior might seem a bit arrogant. I very much doubt this is intentional.

Having met him once (if only briefly in an elevator, at the '05 WC in Anaheim), he did not seem at all arrogant to me. He seemed like a really nice, maybe even a little bit shy individual. Perhaps any "cockiness" in his public behavior is his way of overcompensating for an essentially quiet nature.

In any case, that's just a guess. But I really don't see any arrogance.

3. JohnNano

JohnNano Regular Member

you are rite. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. JohnNano

JohnNano Regular Member

Of course he behaves nicely infront of you, he can't prolly behave cockily infront of his supporters rite(as in close interact)(or else people will not like him)? And i'm looking at it in a more humility way not as a american. perhaps you are a westerner, you won't understand. Some of them might agree with me. Being humble in sports are very important ! He acts so hyper as in surely wanting to win or so called KILL all his opponents. I doubt the indonesians can stand him. I don't doubt indo standard against USA, its totally impossible for usa to win indo.... the crowd of usa wereeeee sooooooo damn noisy.... if you were to notice, they might even be jeering or mocking louding at the indos on that match. :mad:

5. xflubb

xflubb Regular Member

nope

um...i was there...and nope...no jeering or mocking...just excitement...usa badminton needs it...(and from what i hear Indobadminton is a lot "worse").

6. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    Just quickly reading through this topic...

- I disagree with this post, and don't see how me being a "westerner" living in the UK would change or make inferior my perception.

I think Americans particularly, 'generally' (although I don't like to generalise), will seem more confident, and loud to Indonesians or whatever your nationality.

In my opinion, the part I've put in bold stood out most to me. I see this sort high desire to win and similar things in other people, like Nathan Robertson. I think it's purely a state of mind. Some people, to play their best, need to think they'll win...it's not exactly good going into a match thinking you're going to lose or you'll just try at that level, is it?

If he appears hyper or whatever, like I've said, I think it's just the way he may prepare for a match. I used to put a bit more emotion into my games somehow and I think I played better when I did, I only wish I could get as charged-up for a game as I did then now.

7. JohnNano

JohnNano Regular Member

Theres once that Bach ate hyper medicine in one of the sea game(if im nt wrong) Im not sure when, then the double team was send out. I might misjudge Bach intention wrongly.... But then seriously i can't see a reason why he must do lots of actions, its like so rude.

8. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    At the end of the wc2005 md finals, when bach went to hug his mother. another man came to congratulate bach in blue. Does anyone know who he is? he reminds me of Halim :confused:

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you are correct, it was Halim.

10. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    At the end of the wc2005 md finals, when bach went to hug his mother.
    =========00000000000=============

I was told that the woman Howard hug after he won the IBF championship was Mrs Chew ( Don Chew wife from OCBC=orange County Badminton Club )

Kwun ! Correct me if I am wrong...

11. beerslayer

beerslayer Regular Member

sending resumes into black holes
    Except that he had no idea that I was a "supporter" - to him, I was just another photographer he shared an elevator with for a few seconds.

Again, my strong impression of him as an individual was that how he acts in public is very different from how he behaves in private. When I chatted with him, he seemed rather soft-spoken, maybe even shy. Sometimes athletes (or any kind of entertainers/performers, for that matter) have this sort of dual personality, where they act very outgoing in public ("on stage"?) to cover for a quiet personality "off stage".

As others here have already pointed out, we Americans are hardly unique in this area.

I'd say this is psychological. If he can get his own adrenaline flowing, and get his partner and the crowd excited, that probably helps him stay energized and focused and play better.

Tell me, John: if you were a professional athlete, and you were called upon to perform at your best in front of tens of thousands of people, how would you prepare yourself for it? Howard has his method, and it seems to work for him. While he does act a bit cocky at times, I've never seen him actually insult anyone. All I've ever noticed (and granted, others have seen more of him than I have) is an almost childlike exuberance.

He clearly loves playing badminton. To me, that attitude is infectious. I just hope his personality is strong enough to really help badminton start to catch on here in the US.

And this is relevant somehow? :D

#31 beerslayer, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  12. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't know Bach personally, I know many of his badminton friends in the bay area, What Howard display at IBF championship would undoubtedly pissed "most" Asian fan off,

but what Howard was trying to do ( guessing on my part) simply to hipe up the game for the American crowds..

unfortunately what he displayed on the court would be perceived by "most" of Asians as being boastful, arrogant, and disrespecful.

since he was clearly the weakest player in the game, so he was
    kind of an easy target..

I bet if the European players display that kind of emotion on the court we will not be talking about it in this forum.

kind of topic, barking (sound ) from mostly Asian players especially Korean, is very annoying, and stupid..
    I know what is the reason behind it, maybe some readers can enlight me

#32 sac_man, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't know whom the woman is. i only remember seeing Halim wearing a backpack, walking around the court congratulating everybody.

i can re-watch the videos to find out.

i do remember from last time i watched the video, Don Chew was sitting at the VIP section right next to the court. i didn't pay attention to whether there was/wasn't a woman sitting next to him.

but then, although i met her once may be 3-4 years ago, i do not remember how Howard's mom look like; nor do i know how Don Chew's wife looks like.... so in the end, i don't think i can be of much help here.. :p

14. JohnNano

JohnNano Regular Member

I noticed 1 more thing, even own country team mates do pissed off with each other JUST to get 1st !!! China team, theres 1 match Bao chunlai and Chenhong, and chenhong was soooo cocky with bao chunlai, though from same country, He just shout and shout when he win 1 point, its so rude, I do noticed korean and some other countries people(the language which we do not understand) shouting all over..... and its like wthhhh???.... Its might just be the shout that causes the opponent to be shock and pissed off and have no mood to continue. I will change my opinion with Bach, as you all said he was quite softspoken person pravitely. What I think was, theres no need to do such a shouting to make oneself look crazy in the spectators. Not say crazy la, but weird.