Guide: how to change a racket handle

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Mark A, Feb 6, 2015.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I replaced an Adidas handle the other day, I've got some pointers as well.
    I used expoxy glue (the basic Bison 2-component type) and found that twisting the handle as you press it down really helps distribute the glue!

Tip 1). Be sure to clean to the handle, some brand new handles can be filled with saw duwt. Tap it on your desk to get some sawdust out.
    Tip 2). Epoxy runs a bit thick, so be sure to smear some inside the handle and on the shaft as well.
    Tip3). measure the length of your racket with the buttcap. I had to saw of 5mm afterwards to get it right

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

So I've got two things:

1) I epoxy'd the cone onto the shaft and handle and it started creaking immensly. How did you guys glue it?

2) I have another project, but MBS has delisted their handles. I also have a racket with a broken frame, is there a way to remove that handle to use it?

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You're never going to get a racket handle off in a useable state, I'm afraid. Not unless it was installed with kid's craft paste.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Guess I'lll wait for MBS then, thanks ;)

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Wonder why they've disappeared... not that it matters to me any more - my latest stuff is 6.x mm, and no aftermarket handles will fit. If I snap anything now, I've had it:).

6. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have you though to reduce grip width from G4 to G5 (or G5 to G6) by taking out a bit of the wood with friction tools?

7. bolts

bolts Regular Member

This is what my thoughts have been also... until now i am thinking to what extent the balance may have during a smash or any whipping stroke.

I never paid much attention to this as i always use at least 1 or 2 overgrips and always dismissed the balance point due to the extra weight being on the pivot point thus having a minimal effect if any on the swing.

But.... anyone think maybe the balance of a racket comes into play during a smash stroke?

It must to some extent ... maybe even is softer on the elbow?

Deep thoughts lol

Might just be a rabbit hole or there might be something to it :p